02-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #89
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
what is with the headlights? looks horrible.
      02-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #90
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hmmm, not to turn this into another MT vs DCT debate... But ...

I've corrected your statement. No quotes are needed in the speeds because the speeds of the transmissions are not in question and it is clear that the speeds refer to the trannies not the cars. The "Most people" part is the totally false part that really struck me.

Thanks... the quotes were because the faster lap time would come from the slower transmission not the faster transmission. Yes the transmission in and of itself is faster (excluding all other variables), but MOST people with that faster tranny could not outlap a good driver on a track.

Go to a track day and see how many numb skulls show up who cant drive then factor in all the terrible drivers that dont even have the balls or interest to be on a track. I think it easily outnumbers the drivers that are "good".
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #91
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3crazy View Post
My preference isn't about trackin a car. Daily drivers have to be just that, daily drivers. I'd be curious to know how old the guys that want to use these cars as a track runner vs the ones that want the car to be a fun daily driver. Not that you can't be one or both, but I think it would prove my point.
My point was only to "why someone would want a slower car". The difference is negligible on the street or track, especially when you factor in the "boring" aspect.

How much faster does it make you in your daily driving? Is that a difference a big enough factor?

Point being the appeal of DCT shouldnt be because its faster. That "faster" doesnt come into play for an average joe.

Convenient? Sure! More desirable because one cant drive manual? Definitely!! Marketing brainwash for the younger generation? Possibly?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #92
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
I never understood this... Slower is NOT better. Just my opinion.
I'm going to assume that you never enjoyed driving a manual transmission car.
DCT may be faster in drag race to 60, but time to speed never won any race. It's time to distance and reaction time that matters. A true manual offers flexibility that an automatic can't match.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #93
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

DCT is great technology and its fast, but I also prefer the manual transmission.
Somewhere I read that men prefer manual transmission because they identify the gear laver with their penis. Well, it's bad the 1M has such a short one
      02-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I was at the show last night and looked/sat in the car for a while. Looks nice in person, very wide, I would never buy the orange though. I wasn't really impressed with the interior, they changed the climate control knobs to much cheaper looking dials (compared to my 08). I forgot to snap a picture, but I didn't like the look of them. Wheels look great in person too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #95
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
DCT may be faster in drag race to 60, but time to speed never won any race. It's time to distance and reaction time that matters. A true manual offers flexibility that an automatic can't match.
Honestly... just cut it if you don't know what you're talking about! My M3 has a DCT and it's NOT a friggin automatic! That is bs, technically. Neither was the SMG in the M3 before that. Possible that half the DCT drivers may view it as an automatic. Wouldn't surprise me, if my car never went faster than 100mp/h, maybe I would too. But drive either a DCT or an SMG car on a track and you'll know where the advantages are. If you can drive. a.) yes it shifts faster (and a hell of a lot at that, especially if you have to shift coming out of a corner), b.) it will prevent shifting errors and c.) you can leave your hands where they belong. Naturally for someone shifting manually in slowmo your chances of killing engine, box or both (i.e. because you hit third instead of fifth) are minimal. But if you talk about racing (which you are doing), then automated clutches have big advantages. That's why in any race series that allows them, you'll see paddles.

If you're the type still using a mechanical typewriter today, then your logic is correct and feasible. If you realize, that we have advanced slightly past that point, then you should try riding next to someone in a DCT car that knows how to max that cars performance... and after that... start rethinking.
      02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #96
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
But if you talk about racing (which you are doing), then automated clutches have big advantages. That's why in any race series that allows them, you'll see paddles.
But there comes the difference, DCT is not race technology because of the paddles. Race cars mostly have sequential transmissions, and just up and down paddles make perfect sense here.

And the hand on the wheel is also only right if you're talking of real race cars. Look at the steering lock at a real race car. The driver really NEVER takes his hands off it, even through sharp corners. But drive through a hairpin with a street car, you will have to make some turns (revolution, or whatever it is called, sorry).

Yes, paddles are fast and makes perfect sense in a real race car. But that doesn't mean its the only way to go in a street car.

Last edited by skyphab; 02-11-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #97
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #98
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
But there comes the difference, DCT is not race technology because of the paddles. Race cars mostly have sequential transmissions, and just up and down paddles make perfect sense here.
I didn't write, that that was the advantage. I wrote, that the automated clutch (plus the software that goes with it) is the advantage. The common denominator will be the paddles though, because if someone automates the clutch, they'll normally get rid of the stick too.

BTW: Sequential gearboxes are primarily used because they are lighter and not because you only shift up and down!

PS: Then maybe you should try driving an M3... you don't need to "turn the wheel" in it, in the sense you are refering to. Are you honestly suggesting the CSL and the GTS don't qualify in the sports car league? Or a Stradale? Or an R8, Gallardo, etc?
And I didn't say "only way to go" either! I am saying "best way to go for performance reasons".

Last edited by EmmDrei; 02-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Added the "PS"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #99
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Honestly... just cut it if you don't know what you're talking about! My M3 has a DCT and it's NOT a friggin automatic! That is bs, technically. Neither was the SMG in the M3 before that. Possible that half the DCT drivers may view it as an automatic. Wouldn't surprise me, if my car never went faster than 100mp/h, maybe I would too. But drive either a DCT or an SMG car on a track and you'll know where the advantages are. If you can drive. a.) yes it shifts faster (and a hell of a lot at that, especially if you have to shift coming out of a corner), b.) it will prevent shifting errors and c.) you can leave your hands where they belong. Naturally for someone shifting manually in slowmo your chances of killing engine, box or both (i.e. because you hit third instead of fifth) are minimal. But if you talk about racing (which you are doing), then automated clutches have big advantages. That's why in any race series that allows them, you'll see paddles.

If you're the type still using a mechanical typewriter today, then your logic is correct and feasible. If you realize, that we have advanced slightly past that point, then you should try riding next to someone in a DCT car that knows how to max that cars performance... and after that... start rethinking.
Yes, it IS a automatic. Does it change gears for you? And paddle shifting doesn't count because you're the one telling your car to change the gears. With a dct, your transmission engages the clutch and changes the gear. Hence you are not MANUALy doing anything, your car is AUTOMATICally doing everything.

Your hands do not belong at the wheel because you are not piloting a F1 vehicle, where not holding onto the wheel could result in flying off the track.

Unless your job is turning in the fastest lap time, or you're driving a supercar with more power than most people could handle operating a clutch with; no reason not to get a manual. If you don't want to immerse yourself in the joy of FULLY driving a sports car, go buy a sedan with a really big engine.

Typewriter vs computer keyboard is not a good comparison as those are two different technologies. Try membrane/dome keyboards (majority of keyboards) vs mechanical keyboards. And while it takes longer to type each letter, mechanical keyboards offer a distinct tactile feedback regular keyboards can't match.

But you seem like the type who would go fishing with a fishing rod that hooked its on bait, cast itself out, and self reeled the line back whenever you caught something. Cause all you want to do is hold and position the rod right? (Driving dct is the same thing)

The NUMBER 1 reason I want a 1M so badly is that no one driving my car will be a poseur with dct.

Dct is very advanced. But it'll be in my next sedan, why kid yourself that your driving a sports car, when its not so powerful that you can't have a manual and you've stripped half the work away from driving. Why don't we start playing basketball, but remove the running and replace that with powered wheel chairs and solely shoot the balls.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #100
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
On a separate note...

...just got my boarding pass to head to Chicago!

Woohoo! Quality time with my VO girlfriend and some pan pizza. AND...a free alcoholic beverage on Southwest.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #101
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Try not to get pizza grease all over the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #102
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techthentic View Post
Yes, it IS a automatic.
If you compare the 335s DCT with that of the M3, then you are comparing two different boxes. We are talking about an M here and so I am refering to the M DCT and not the stuff they are sticking in the 335 etc. My job btw is to stay on the road and not to play with tons of entertainment junk because driving gets too boring otherwise. Yes, that is why my hands stay on the wheel. And no, my M3 doesn't change gears for me. Simply because it has never been driven in the auto mode. How are you going to use a DC gearbox manually anyway? Do you grow a third foot?

The problem is, you don't get the point... I've ordered a mt 1M. My racecar is mt. All my cars before the M346 and M392 were mt. Yet and still I say that the DCT is the better and more performant concept. Because I've actually driven it on the limit. It has nothing to do with me being to stupid or lazy to change gears manually. Actually chances are, I can probably do that faster and more effective than you can.
      02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #103
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
...just got my boarding pass to head to Chicago!

Woohoo! Quality time with my VO girlfriend and some pan pizza. AND...a free alcoholic beverage on Southwest.

Deep dish, not pan is the way to go.

Food coma in a box:

(enlarged to show texture lol)

Last edited by TunedM2C; 02-11-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #104
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

What the heck is that??

Looks fantastic though! I'm hungry!!
      02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #105
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^ Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordano's Pizza. They ship anywhere in the U.S.

Sorry for the OT btw but it is lunch time and I'm jonesing for this right now!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #106
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

It's funny what is called "pizza" in the US
It looks like an inside out pizza. But definitely tasty!!

Yeah, sorry for OT! *hmm* =)
      02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #107
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

I will see this car Tuesday at the auto show. Can't wait. As with a lot of cars, I think the flared fenders and little nuances of the car have to be seen in person to get a feel of how different it appears than a 135i
Most of my friends who I show the 1M to say, "looks just like your car man!" Amateurs.

Chicago style deep dish!! I have mine from Lou Malnati's bi-weekly.. NO BIG DEAL!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #108
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Interesting DCT versus manual discussion here.

Car and Driver 2009 Lightning Lap M3 text:

"The M3 was invited back for a second Lightning Lap because of complaints last time regarding its seven-speed, dual-clutch M DCT gearbox not following commands, particularly on downshifts. And this time, the M3 was riding on the available Michelin Pilot Sport Cup + tires.

"Although the hot-rod Bimmer is always an impressive ride, with decidedly sports-car-like agility in a class of mostly heavyweight bruisers, the M3's lap time improved by just 0.2 second. As we found with our recently concluded long-term M3, the Sport Cup + tires don't seem to shave a whole lot off lap times, and the dual-clutch gearbox was still occasionally reluctant to grant downshifts under braking. So drivers had to keep an eye on the dash display - never a good thing for lap times - to verify which gear was in play."

I wonder if they would have lapped faster with the six speed?

Last edited by natmad; 02-11-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: spelllinng...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Interesting DCT versus manual discussion here.

Car and Driver 2009 Lightning Lap M3 text:

"The M3 was invited back for a second Lightning Lap because of complaints last time regarding its seven-speed, dual-clutch M DCT gearbox not following commands, particularly on downshifts. And this time, the M3 was riding on the available Michelin Pilot Sport Cup + tires.

"Although the hot-rod Bimmer is always an impressive ride, with decidedly sports-car-like agility in a class of mostly heavyweight bruisers, the M3's lap time improved by just 0.2 second. As we found with our recently concluded long-term M3, the Sport Cup + tires don't seem to shave a whole lot off lap times, and the dual-clutch gearbox was still occasionally reluctant to grant downshifts under braking. So drivers had to keep an eye on the dash display - never a good thing for lap times - to verify which gear was in play."

I wonder if they would have lapped faster with the six speed?
Good question! Have any mags posted back-to-back lap times between the DCT and 6-Speed?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #110
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Deep dish, not pan is the way to go.

Food coma in a box:

(enlarged to show texture lol)

I love pizza. In fact, I devour a whole semi-thin crust pizza every Friday (..a treat to myself because I maintain a relatively strict diet in order to stay fit).....

...but that pizza gave me a heart attack on sight.
Appreciate 0