BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You see, here's another practical fringe benefit of the 1M compared to the Cayman R: the 1M has rear seats...
AND the seats fold down ...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #46
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

It just happened again LOL I was in line buying food and I was approached and asked if that was my car in the parking lot...I gotta stop posting about it otherwise it will seem like I'm bragging!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #47
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Two incidents on the way to work this morning.

Driving down the boulevard, I see mid 40's guy in an audi A6 with aftermarket wheels, pulling out of a side street. He sees me cruising by at 35 mph, and launches out and past me. huh?

10 minutes later driving in the middle lane of the freeway, a c6 vette I had passed earlier at normal speeds, comes up next to me in the left lane, blips his throttle and squeezes himself between myself and the car ahead, only to continue into the right lane and exit. Mind you there was no one behind me. He used his blinker, gee thanks, but why the drama? There was no one behind me for like 10 car lengths.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #48
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Funny you post this. I have noticed the same thing, its amazing how many people notice the car. Even non car people. On my delivery when taking pics, I started to photograph people photographing my car. It became kind of funny to see them, just walk up and take pics. These are two of my favorites.
Mind if I ask you when did you take delivery of your car? I was at the SC plant on Aug 12th and had seen an AW 1M that day with temporary Michigan plates for delivery.. wondering if that was your's. If so, then I may have more pics of your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #49
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I haven't even been counting the people that just get fired up by seeing the car...with only 20 miles on the odometer I had a guy in an A4 trying to provoke me - it was funny to watch.

Just yesterday I had an s2000 in front of me doing the whole "I'm gonna gun it and see if I can pull away from you" game...interestingly enough he seemed to be getting frustrated since he wasn't really pulling away and I was shifting at 2.5-3k rpms...we've been blessed with incredible low end power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Two incidents on the way to work this morning.

Driving down the boulevard, I see mid 40's guy in an audi A6 with aftermarket wheels, pulling out of a side street. He sees me cruising by at 35 mph, and launches out and past me. huh?

10 minutes later driving in the middle lane of the freeway, a c6 vette I had passed earlier at normal speeds, comes up next to me in the left lane, blips his throttle and squeezes himself between myself and the car ahead, only to continue into the right lane and exit. Mind you there was no one behind me. He used his blinker, gee thanks, but why the drama? There was no one behind me for like 10 car lengths.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #50
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not an attention whore, but if I had to choose, I choose positive attention over this other type.... maybe I need a VO 1M and live in FL!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #51
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyzDad View Post
Mind if I ask you when did you take delivery of your car? I was at the SC plant on Aug 12th and had seen an AW 1M that day with temporary Michigan plates for delivery.. wondering if that was your's. If so, then I may have more pics of your car.
That was probably me, I had my PCD on 8/12. I think I was the only 1M that day.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #52
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
This thread makes me sooooo jealous. Even besides the fact that this happens to me constantly as well in my "normal" 1er. And I am in Vegas. I never expected so much attention in my life. But it has to feel even better knowing you are super rare.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #53
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
That was probably me, I had my PCD on 8/12. I think I was the only 1M that day.
Nice! My wife wants an AW 135i with a pink stripe on it (across one side of the hood similar to the M stripes), hence had a few pictures taken of your 1M that day. I was about to post them, but noticed the exposed license plates, hence refrained.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #54
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
So far I loveee the car!! When I was taking delivery, the Owner of the dealership came over and congratulated me and started taking pics of it for his son. The car had only 6 miles on it. I do not regret my color choice of BSM at all... the car has a serious presence in black and that was evident by all the attention it was getting.

As I was getting ready to pull out, a group of guys came over, mid 20's, and were admiring it. One of em said he drives an E36 M3 but that his dream car is the 1M. He had been calling the dealership asking when my car would arrive so he could drop by and see it

Where I was parked, there was a lady taking delivery of her 328i and as her sales rep was showing her the features of her new car, she kept looking over at mine from a distance and finally, I heard her ask the sales rep "What car is that?"...he laughed and I didn't hear what was said next

About 3 miles after leaving the dealership, an elderly gentleman in an AMG pulled up beside me, rolled down the windows and said "thats a sharp ride" with a thumbs up...

It's 11:15pm...going out for a midnight run
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #55
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
So far I loveee the car!! When I was taking delivery, the Owner of the dealership came over and congratulated me and started taking pics of it for his son. The car had only 6 miles on it. I do not regret my color choice of BSM at all... the car has a serious presence in black and that was evident by all the attention it was getting.

As I was getting ready to pull out, a group of guys came over, mid 20's, and were admiring it. One of em said he drives an E36 M3 but that his dream car is the 1M. He had been calling the dealership asking when my car would arrive so he could drop by and see it

Where I was parked, there was a lady taking delivery of her 328i and as her sales rep was showing her the features of her new car, she kept looking over at mine from a distance and finally, I heard her ask the sales rep "What car is that?"...he laughed and I didn't hear what was said next

About 3 miles after leaving the dealership, an elderly gentleman in an AMG pulled up beside me, rolled down the windows and said "thats a sharp ride" with a thumbs up...

It's 11:15pm...going out for a midnight run
Awesome, congratulations, and welcome to the game! Let me know when you're back in Jax and we'll get together to share experiences and take some shots!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Awesome, congratulations, and welcome to the game! Let me know when you're back in Jax and we'll get together to share experiences and take some shots!
Thanks man!! I'll be coming back to JAX late afternoon today. I am down to meet tomorrow if your able to...or we can set something up for later on next weekend or sometime soon
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #57
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
Thanks man!! I'll be coming back to JAX late afternoon today. I am down to meet tomorrow if your able to...or we can set something up for later on next weekend or sometime soon
No problem. I'll PM you my number and you can shoot me a text. Just finished giving my car her first bath, detail, and sealed the paint. She looks like glass!

Text me and let me know if you'd like to head down to St. Augustine tomorrow. I got a buddy who wants to do a photoshoot with my car so I'm sure 2 would be even better.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #58
fuzzy_dunlop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: future 1 series

I got this on my windshield, under the wiper, a while back. It was in a plastic sheet protector.

Hell, I just push the button... I don't sit there and rev away. Silly Germans.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #59
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
I expect folks posting all sorts of cool stories.

Not 3 miles after I left the Welt during ED pickup, driving down the freeway leaving munich. A car pulls up beside me, 20-something kid leans out the (moving) car and points to his camera. As if to ask "can I take a picture?" I nod "yeah" and give the thumbs up.

I had the car maybe 10 minutes when that happened. Awesome!
It took me a few minutes to get my bags at welt and there was a crowd around the car taking pictures.

On the autobahn i had people take pics and at the ring too.

In little rock I don't think I will have anyone take pics. The local autox guys will like it but the locals like v8's.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #60
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
I got this on my windshield, under the wiper, a while back. It was in a plastic sheet protector.

Hell, I just push the button... I don't sit there and rev away. Silly Germans.
You are welcome to wake me every morning with the sound of an 1M, Already looking forward to it

BTW find it hard to believe that any German wrote that!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #61
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I've gotten comments while driving and while getting gas. But last Sunday I went to meet a client to show them a home. I had not met them, yet. I pulled up to the house and saw an X5. The family was inside. The husband/father gets out and asks if it is a 1M Coupe, it's a cool car, etc. So I don't know if a made a deal courtesy of the car, but it made a good impression. I am waiting for a hottie to ask for "a ride."

It is the first car that I've had that warranted this kind of attention.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #62
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
You are welcome to wake me every morning with the sound of an 1M, Already looking forward to it

thats what i thought

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #63
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

I think most Germans would just go to the local Polizei and make out an Anzeige(complaint)! They must know you are an AMI.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #64
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm at a conference with a guy I've known for several years. He's a Porsche owner and he's had a couple of 911's and now also has Panamera for his growing family. We got to talking about cars about 4 months ago, and I told him I was hoping to secure a 1M. He busted my chops a bit at the time saying I should get a Porsche instead. I caught up with him a couple of days ago and he asked if I bought the car, to which I replied yes. He then said, "Hey, I know I busted on you when you told me about the 1M, but everything I've read and seen since then has been nothing but fantastic reviews...congratulations!" He also saw it on Top Gear. Gotta like it.

Last edited by 1978.530i; 10-27-2011 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #65
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Currently doing ED, and I am surprised how few I have seen here and how much attention it get in Germany. The only other 1Ms I have even seen were at the M studio, owned by BMW, and at the M test center at the Nürburgring, and they we cars for a driving school. I have received several looks, nods, waves and thumbs up on the autobahn, and have had people stop to ask me about it at service centers along the highway. Besides that, love the car and still can't believe it's mine, well 1/5th mine so far.
TJ
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #66
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Just went for a photo shoot/spin with a couple of buddies (torquedemon who just took delivery of his BSM 1M, sergeremi who is awaiting his AW 1M but rode his bike, and another friend who owns a sweet e92 M3 with a few mods). What a great time and plenty of attention. We actually were followed to a gas station by someone who thought "what the heck, I may not see another one of these in a while" and wanted to see them up close.

While cruising, we passed an area where someone in a group of people literally screamed "Holy f*ck it's a 1M, shit there is another one...damn there's also an M3!", and on the way back, I had this girl traveling with her mother lower her window to give me the thumbs up and tell me she loved my car.

Stay tuned, I'll be creating a thread shortly with some of the photos!
Appreciate 0