BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #45
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
That's It Mother#$%^&#, You're On Your Own - TIM YOYO.
I'm retarded.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #46
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
I'm retarded.
Not really Gti.... I struggled to understand that until Sparoz clarified!

Sparoz - Mate, I respect your honesty about the experience. It should serve as solid guidance for those of us that want to have a little "play"
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #47
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i was doing donuts in the rain the other day after a crap day and remembered this thread and so tried out a few power slides with dtc on. i think you gotta let the dtc do all the work as i was over correcting at first too. i didn't like it but i can see how if you went into an a slide without intending to it could save you. its not fun mode if your trying to have fun i don't think. i find timyoyo the most fun as its predictable.

and as far as timyoyo goes, after driving my car really hard for months with all the controls on, it was like learning to drive again driving really hard with all controls off. i forgot how much the car does to keep you on the road. i have been becoming lazy just throwing it into any corner knowing the car will almost drive itself out. its good to drive in tim yoyo mode every now and then
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #48
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
A quick step off the gas retards acceleration, which causes a weight transfer rearwards, which combined with the slowing of the excess rotation causes the rears to grip up and push the car the direction they are pointing.
Good theory, but retarding accel will cause weight to be transferred forward, hence lessening rear grip...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #49
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Good stuff.
      04-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #50
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I find it a bit odd that they say DTC is for gravel/snow, as i've played around with DSC on in the wet and it works pretty well in cutting the power and keeping you in control. That said i had to take a detour in land on the way up to Coffs the other year along a few gravel roads & even with DSC on it was like driving the car with it turned off, which was a tad surprising...
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #51
Bimmerle
just a little Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport coupe

I guess this is one of those "aha" moments for me, when I realized there was something I should have done. Last week we were in the Southern Highlands, and visited Berrima (too twee for me, but that's another story). We angle parked on the side of the road, pointing downhill, one side in gravel, the other side in grass. Came to back out, and the embarrassment! I started to dig in, and spun the wheels. Fortunately, I managed to drive forward into a vacant grassy lot and was able to keep traction until I U-turned and got out. This sort of thing never happened with my RX-8, which had a LSD.

OK, just to check, I should have clicked the DTC button briefly to get some improvement in traction; is that right?

I have to say that while we love the ride on well-paved roads, there were wineries we didn't visit because they were down corrugated dirt roads. Many of the bitumen roads weren't that good either, being largely composed of patches rather than original surface.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #52
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should have clicked the DTC button briefly to get some improvement in traction; is that right?
After a pretty good discussion of the difference between DSC and DTC, I would have to say that I still don't see how it would apply to all situations.

For example, since you had the two driving wheels parked on different surfaces, I should think DSC would have worked better for you, since this tends to minimize relative motion between the driving wheels to the greatest degree. When one wheel began to slip, the system should have braked it and applied more power to the wheel with grip?

Such would be my guess anyway, but I would be interested to hear other's opinions as well...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #53
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
....... the system should have braked it and applied more power to the wheel with grip?
Not quite - DTC can apply brake to the wheel that is slipping but it cannot
send more power to the wheel with more grip -that is only possible with active /torque biasing diff.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #54
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post
Not quite - DTC can apply brake to the wheel that is slipping but it cannot send more power to the wheel with more grip -that is only possible with active /torque biasing diff.
When it brakes the spinning wheel, the engine power & driveshaft speed has to go somewhere. By default it goes to the wheel with more grip.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #55
mac135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, black, auto, s'roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
That's one of my 'wish-list' items for the E82, a true LSD. That and a larger fuel tank for better range...:
Even more than the LSD - another 10 litres of full tank capacity.

Who was the bright spark who decided that a 3ltr tt could make do with the same tank found in a 1.6 or 1.8 atmo or turbo diesel?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #56
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
When it brakes the spinning wheel, the engine power & driveshaft speed has to go somewhere. By default it goes to the wheel with more grip.

If you only mentioned this earlier you would have saved me a bit of dosh I stupidly spent on that Quaife diff....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #57
gts135
German car nut
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135iM - Cashmere silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Good theory, but retarding accel will cause weight to be transferred forward, hence lessening rear grip...

ianc
Not always the case as there is a lot more going on than just weight transfer. Depends on how much wheelspin there is in the first place, how hard you lift off, and your drift angle in the first place. A hard drop in throttle can cause the rears to grip despite weight transfer forward as the drive energy reduces faster than the available grip drops off. Been there, done that enough times to know better. On all sorts of cars, motorcycles, quads and snowmobiles - and different if it's awd or fwd or rwd. And it can cause a fishtail in the opposite direction - which can be fun or disastrous.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #58
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post
If you only mentioned this earlier you would have saved me a bit of dosh I stupidly spent on that Quaife diff....
I'll swap you my pretend, braked "LSD" for your Quaiffe.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #59
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

But why? They do the same thing.

Last edited by dk130i; 04-23-2010 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #60
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A hard drop in throttle can cause the rears to grip despite weight transfer forward as the drive energy reduces faster than the available grip drops off.
A hard drop in throttle will transfer weight forward and reduce rear grip. That is indisputable and simple physics. There may be other factors which will mitigate or increase that effect but you can't escape it. WTF is 'drive energy' anyway?

If you doubt this, speak with some older 911 owners who have panicked and lifted in the middle of a fast corner...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #61
OperJeff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

I drove in the snow with DTC on for about an hour to and from work in the blizzard this year, so speeds were under 30mph the whole time and DTC was going nuts. I kept backing off the gas to save the brakes but I couldnt lose momentum or risk getting stranded, so now the rear brakes have this nasty squeal from being overheated.

That being said, I wouldnt use DTC at the track because how it can compromise your braking. Although at the same time I wouldnt recommend turning it off because the car is a handful without a mechanical LSD. And in the rain you have no choice but to leave it on because once you get in the boost the car will come around on you too quick even when you have the car pointed straight the car still has a tendency to come around.

Its a pretty bad oversight to load a car up with so much torque at 1500 rpm and not give it a mechanical LSD.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #62
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I'm waiting for someone to post 'TIM YOYO' as a vanity plate. If I had anything but a 128 I'd do it but I have found that even in TIM YOYO mode it's pretty sedate so having it on my car would be stupid and pretty presumptuous. Any volunteers?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #63
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

TIMYOYO has too many characters for a license plate in NSW.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #64
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

You can do it in QLD when they put the 7 letters plate on. Not sure when it's going to happen next.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #65
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

You can probably do it in WA and ACT too as I've seen custom plates from those states with many characters.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #66
Otaku
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lemon Chicken

If they ever make the t-shirts they should update the dsc icon to the tailend fishtailing... Speaking of which, it would be cool to see the new icon on a plate next to the words TIMYOYO.
Appreciate 0