BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #111
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
Who sues over something that is 100% cosmetic? BMW is under no obligation to cover this. They can simply claim that this is how its supposed to look.

And I also rode in a Civic Si yesterday. The build quality/interior quality is nowhere near as good as BMW (which is no where near as good as Audi). The Si smells like you are in an old canvas tent.
The warranty covers "manufacturing defects" and this is certainly one of those. Since it sits right on top of the airbag it makes me wonder about safety aswell.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #112
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
I have a 2009 and I don't have the indentation, but my response there would be "put that in writing so I can take it to my attorney please"

It's amazing what you guys tolerate on a nearly $40k car. I rode in a Honda Civic Si yesterday and it was better built than the 1er at half the price.
I too have an 09 and the other day as the sun hit it just right I saw a faint indentation starting on the left corner towards the drivers side.
No big deal as of now chalk it up to yet another "character" building thing with the 1 series. You'd think this was some new model that BMW started building just 1 year ago.
I love leasing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #113
Critical Mass
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Personally, I wish I had left the original dashboard in my 09 135. I had mine successfully replaced a year ago just before BMW NA declared the passenger side airbag outline should be considered normal and would not warranty any more dash replacements. Once replaced; the dash looked perfect from every angle and under any type of light. I was pleased and thought this was the cosmetic fix. Over this past summer, the airbag outline appeared on my new replacement dash and this time appeared even worse than it did on the original dash. I have just accepted it and continue to love driving my 135. I have started using 303 Aerospace protectant and it has helped significantly diminish the appearance of the outline and I am more content with it now. I believe that BMW is correct in stating that the outline should be considered normal and based on my experience; do fear that it will only be a matter of time before it may reappear on the replacement dashboards. Just my 2 cents as someone else may have a different experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #114
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Odd reading the responses above about BMW not covering it. We had our car in two weeks ago for the seatbelt / sound insulation and tail-light gasket recalls and I made mention for them to check the dashboard air-bag indent...we're scheduled for a fix on Nov 5 for a new dashboard...no questions asked or comments to the contrary.

This is BMW Canada though...don't know if that makes a difference, for BMW USA and BMW Canada are two very different companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
Interesting, considering the service bulletin is from BMW NA and guarantees they won't pay the dealership for parts, labor, or loaner fees. Your dealership must love you!
The work got done a little over a week ago...had a 323i sedan loaner (ugggh...slow-ass POS compared with the 135i) and the new dash is perfect. Fingers crossed for a non-repeat of the indent.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #115
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

You will most likely get the indentaion back again. Almost got mine replaced here in the US prior to BMW saying it was normal. Glad I did not do it, and now I believe that indentation adds class! I do not even notice it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #116
Felipe1M1
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep
Drives: 135i

I ve seen this in all 135 and mine is starting to show since summer has come. I think if all cars have this, is a normal default of that part but i got the dealer took some pictures to send that to germany just to see what they say.

Our cars may have this issue an others like a lot of cars even expensive japs cars have issues but we have to remember why we bought it and maybe this is the main reason.

Its one of the fastest bimmers with an incredible price and all in a pocket rocket coupe. So if we start looking for all imperfections or what we see as imperfections we will go by foot, because we will find them in all products. Now that i see this post i see a lot of cars have them and seen on mercedes , audi, suzuki, honda and my ex gti mkv.

And by the way , this is the first 1 series and its awesome let see en 2 years what bimmer brings us.

a little advice,

stay focused on the road and enjoy the ride this why we drive these cars.

best regards to all bimmers fans.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #117
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

My 128i has a small airbag indent on the passenger airbag, lower right corner. Hopefully it won't get any worse. The car is at the dealer right now for a condensation filled right tail light, passenger side window trips half way up (they claim it is a footwell module). I mentioned the indent, but they said it's "normal" and nothing can be done about it. This indent reminds me of the ill fitting, sagging e36 3 series gloveboxes.... I guess when you engineer such a great handling car, cosmetics suffer.

I wonder if there is a safe way to perhaps slightly lower the airbag unit (perhaps spaced with washers) so that it's not pressing against the dash. I noticed that if I push down on the indent, the dash looks normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #118
afuiw
Rep
Drives: 128i

I think it's absolutely stupid that BMW doesn't fix the indent from a customer perspective.

If passenger airbag indents suddenly started appearing on the 7-series, would BMW still issue a service bulletin stating that this should be considered normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #119
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Was looking at some Subaru STI's today and they all had a indentation forming on the pass side air bag.....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #120
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

My sister's Lexus and my mother's Volvo have lines where the passenger airbag is as well. Mine has a light outline, doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #121
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

I have had this indentation for awhile now, but always though it was a scratch or something... So there is still not a recall or way to get this fixed without shoveling out 1000@+ for a new dash?
      09-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #122
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

indentation will return after new dashboard with a bin. I had mine done for a few years and its back. benefit of new dash is you get that new car smell again. The bin is really useless, because i placed my glasses in the bin and after a week or so the film from my glasses in a case melted deeming my backup glasses in my car useless. I tried putting coins in the bin and its super hot when i use those coins at the drive thru.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #123
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Just to reiterate all these people got new dashes through the under 50k warrenty right?

The reason I am interested in a new dash is because I have bubbling from what I would assume is Texas sun/heat. I also have the airbag indentation but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as this bubble that is growing..
      09-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #124
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I had my windshield tinted with Llumar Blue Air 80 tint. Greatly reduces the heat from the sun through the windshield.

For those worried about the dash deforming (not me, and not why I did it) it might be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #125
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I had my windshield tinted with Llumar Blue Air 80 tint. Greatly reduces the heat from the sun through the windshield.

For those worried about the dash deforming (not me, and not why I did it) it might be a good option.
Any tint on windshields here is illegal.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #126
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommeh View Post
Just to reiterate all these people got new dashes through the under 50k warrenty right?
This stopped after BMW issued a service bulletin in April 2010 to stop replacing dashes:

See the SI Bulletin listed in the other thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=94

"A slight depression or outline may be visible on the top, passenger side of the instrument panel. This outline is created by the perforated edge of the lid covering the passenger front airbag. This outline is a normal condition and is visible on most vehicles.

Due to normal variation, the outline may be more noticeable on some cars than others.

Do not replace any parts for this situation, as this is a normal condition and it will not provide an improvement."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #127
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Any tint on windshields here is illegal.
So are a lot of things that people do every day. You actually can not tell it is there, just looks like factory tinted glass.

Look up the specs. This tint is made specifically for windshields.
Appreciate 0