BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-09-2018, 02:52 AM   #1
Eszbi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe 2011

Help with a leak

Hey people's,

I have a minor leak on my sump of my 2011 n55 135i coupe. My mechanic wants to charge me a ridiculous amount to replace the whole gasket..... I'm wondering why can't I seal it on the outside....

E.g if I clean the outside and place a piece of plastic I glue to the engine block that I can remove later?

Please help

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
NonoxX
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i DKG FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eszbi View Post
Hey people's,

I have a minor leak on my sump of my 2011 n55 135i coupe. My mechanic wants to charge me a ridiculous amount to replace the whole gasket..... I'm wondering why can't I seal it on the outside....

E.g if I clean the outside and place a piece of plastic I glue to the engine block that I can remove later?

Please help

Thanks
Mmmh, I don't think you can do such workarounds. it's a pretty harsh environment there, it wouldn't last long.

If it is really a minor leak, then it can wait a bit. It mainly depends and how much and how "spirited" you drive. Just check regularly that things don't get worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

--- BMW 1M Forum / 1-series M Coupe Forum
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Hey people's,

Please help

Thanks
I had an oil pan leak in my 330i and it was $1000 because they have to disassemble part of the from suspension and move things out of the way. My guess is that why it is so expensive. You can probably keep an eye on it and go for some time but then everything will get all yucky below. I would probably shop around and fix it. Maybe a good independent can save you a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Quote:
Hey people's,

Please help

Thanks

Hi Eszbi,

the gaskets are cheap, it is the labour that is expensive. unfortunately, due to the amount of work needed to remove the parts.

DO NOT use plastic glue. gasket leaks are common and if it's not extremely severe, you can last a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Eszbi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe 2011

Thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0