BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
rovsky
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Stubborn water spots

I'm dealing with some stubborn water spots (at least that's what I think they are) and wanted to see if anyone had some tips.

I've tried clay, polishing compound (by hand), and vinegar. There is minor improvement but overall still there:

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

No idea, but FWIW if a clay bar and polishing compound don't work I'd be real cautious from here on out, just in case it's not above the clear coat but in it / part of it. Would hate to see you accidentally mess up the paint.

I suppose you did the standard thing with dishwashing soap to get rid of the wax currently on the car? Normally this should take any water spots right along with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

To my eye, that looks like clear-coat damage.
      04-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
rovsky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
To my eye, that looks like clear-coat damage.
so any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I am sorry to say, but based on your photos these are etchings in the paint and appear to be rather severe.

This is likely a result of hard water or bird droppings being left on the paint for an extended period of time. Both of these types of contaminants can cause severe damage such as this, sometimes to the point that the only solution is to have the effected panel repainted.

In your case, I do not expect machine compounding or polishing to make much, if any, improvement, but it is worth trying nevertheless.

If, as I suspect, the process of machine compounding and polishing does not yield any drastic improvement, your only other option before heading to the body shop would be to attempt to wetsand the areas to remove the etching, then compound and polish the area to remove the sanding marks. This is a rather delicate process and should not be done unless you are quite confident in what you are doing.

In the end, these etchings may have completely penetrated the clear coat which means that nothing you do will remove them 100%, and the only option would be to have the area(s) repainted.

Let me know if you've got any other questions

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
rovsky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
I am sorry to say, but based on your photos these are etchings in the paint and appear to be rather severe.

This is likely a result of hard water or bird droppings being left on the paint for an extended period of time. Both of these types of contaminants can cause severe damage such as this, sometimes to the point that the only solution is to have the effected panel repainted.

In your case, I do not expect machine compounding or polishing to make much, if any, improvement, but it is worth trying nevertheless.

If, as I suspect, the process of machine compounding and polishing does not yield any drastic improvement, your only other option before heading to the body shop would be to attempt to wetsand the areas to remove the etching, then compound and polish the area to remove the sanding marks. This is a rather delicate process and should not be done unless you are quite confident in what you are doing.

In the end, these etchings may have completely penetrated the clear coat which means that nothing you do will remove them 100%, and the only option would be to have the area(s) repainted.

Let me know if you've got any other questions

-Zach
Thanks for the info Zach. Will let you know what ends up working (or not :/)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #7
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

I'm no expert but this one can help you-- autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html
Appreciate 0