BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2016, 01:23 AM   #89
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
Ah I want one! I cant believe that the unit I have does not allow the left and right to be locked together. Even a 2005 VW gold has that ability! Also my LCD screen had faded and is missing some lines at the top. Do you have a link to another one on ebay?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-1-3-S...MAAOSwmtJXVsQV

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-3-SER...AAAOSwPCVYAguc

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-BMW-2...EAAOSwcLxYLBNJ

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222318985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Heres a few of them in various levels of condition, any of them will fit on your car.
      11-30-2016, 02:31 AM   #90
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks Vtl, r u sure the last one fits? If so I might grab it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 04:35 AM   #91
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
Thanks Vtl, r u sure the last one fits? If so I might grab it.
Yeah theure all the same, it just comes with a trim piece that we remove and put it into your current trim
      11-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #92
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Early xmas present on its way.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #93
Cavs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Sourced it from ebay, think it came from latvia out of an E87

Pictures added, its a huge pain getting the arm rest seperated from the centre console. To be honest I don't keep anything really useful in there apart from some charging cables lol, but previously the storage space was completely useless. The only thing I wish is that the compartment was lined with felt or rubber instead of smooth plastic. Makes noise if there are lose things in there.
I'm looking at getting one shipped over for myself. If you're still interested I can find out if he has a couple more?

*Edit*

How come it didn't quote the original guy asking about the tray?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #94
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Hey Vince,

Thought i would post this in case you want it for next time. Add it to the lookup.xml and it will create a lifetime FSC code for AUS maps. When they release 2018 or whatever and get a copy of the maps it wont ask for an FSC code the next time.

I can be cleared either by attempting to reload another regoins maps and entering a valid standard FSC code (you dont have to complete the installation, just enter valid standard FSC and cancel update) then reload AUS maps with standard FSC, or you can clear the Lifetime FSC directly with Rheingold. CIC NAVI can only hold one FSC at a time.

Code:
<SgbmId id="NAVD_000004D6_255_002_15F" SWID_FscShort="003000FF" name="Road Map AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND PREMIUM -LIFETIME- FSC003000XX" supplier="TAS" sop="01.11.2015" version="10_09" MapOrderNumberBMW="" MapOrderNumberMINI="" MapOrderNumberRR="" successorMapOrderNumberBMW="" successorMapOrderNumberMINI="" successorMapOrderNumberRR="">
         <EcuVariant CompatibilityIdentifier="HU_CIC-HB" Format="CIC" />
         <SwUpdate SwUpdateEntry=""/>
    </SgbmId>

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      12-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #95
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Hey Vince,

Thought i would post this in case you want it for next time. Add it to the lookup.xml and it will create a lifetime FSC code for AUS maps. When they release 2018 or whatever and get a copy of the maps it wont ask for an FSC code the next time.

I can be cleared either by attempting to reload another regoins maps and entering a valid standard FSC code (you dont have to complete the installation, just enter valid standard FSC and cancel update) then reload AUS maps with standard FSC, or you can clear the Lifetime FSC directly with Rheingold. CIC NAVI can only hold one FSC at a time.

Code:
<SgbmId id="NAVD_000004D6_255_002_15F" SWID_FscShort="003000FF" name="Road Map AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND PREMIUM -LIFETIME- FSC003000XX" supplier="TAS" sop="01.11.2015" version="10_09" MapOrderNumberBMW="" MapOrderNumberMINI="" MapOrderNumberRR="" successorMapOrderNumberBMW="" successorMapOrderNumberMINI="" successorMapOrderNumberRR="">
         <EcuVariant CompatibilityIdentifier="HU_CIC-HB" Format="CIC" />
         <SwUpdate SwUpdateEntry=""/>
    </SgbmId>
Cool, good info. I knew about the lifetime FSC codes but didn't know whether they caused any issues so always just did it per year. Good to know you can just clear them by putting in a diff code.
      12-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #96
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Yeah just to be clear, it wont ever ask for a code for AU/NZ if you enter a lifetime. Supposedly if you then try to load a different regions maps it wont recognise the lifetime FSC for the other region and will ask for a new one, overwriting the lifetime AUS one. Cancel the foreign update, reload AUS ones and it will ask for key again.

Also found out how to know what the map hex to input for SWID_Fscshort= is. You open the file info_map.imp in the map update with a HEX editor, and the 8 digits for Fscshort are at 0000 by 08. Ive highlighted it in this pic for the AU/NZ 2016 maps (dont have 2017).

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      12-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #97
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Yeah just to be clear, it wont ever ask for a code for AU/NZ if you enter a lifetime. Supposedly if you then try to load a different regions maps it wont recognise the lifetime FSC for the other region and will ask for a new one, overwriting the lifetime AUS one. Cancel the foreign update, reload AUS ones and it will ask for key again.

Also found out how to know what the map hex to input for SWID_Fscshort= is. You open the file info_map.imp in the map update with a HEX editor, and the 8 digits for Fscshort are at 0000 by 08. Ive highlighted it in this pic for the AU/NZ 2016 maps (dont have 2017).

Good info! Its hard info to come by that info as most people hoard the information and try to profit from it. You're certainly welcome to come by sometime and get the latest map update
      12-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #98
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

CF diffuser

Got a carbon fibre diffuser off aliexpress. Wasn't sure if it'd fit properly but took a gamble.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...608.0.0.2gFaRs

The fitment was alright, when fitting it up initally the part looks way off and feels like it wont fit at all but once the part is bolted down it forms into shape and fits fine.

For some reason they used silver mesh which looked ghastly and ugly. I initally spray painted it which looked ok, but wanted something that would be a bit more durable. Bought some black mesh from supercheap auto and fixed it up.
Attached Images

12-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #99
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Carbon fibre diffuser looks really good mate, I really like it!
vtl1492.00
      12-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #100
A'PEXi
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

great thread, lots of good info and pics

can I ask what you used to clean the steering wheel? i noticed you used hand soap for the stitching - whole thing turned out awesome!
      12-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #101
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just used Bathox hand wash coconut from the supermarket:
http://shopandsaveonline.com.au/prod...oducts_id=7569

Any gentle hand soap would work imo

Did the same treatment on the hand brake lever, looks so nice and matte now!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #102
A'PEXi
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

awesome thanks
      01-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #103
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Just used Bathox hand wash coconut from the supermarket:
http://shopandsaveonline.com.au/prod...oducts_id=7569

Any gentle hand soap would work imo

Did the same treatment on the hand brake lever, looks so nice and matte now!
Do you wax your car with nivea moisturising cream?

Rear diffuser looks great IMO
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      01-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #104
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Shifter bushings

The shifter was feeling a bit sloppy so wanted to refresh it a bit and restore it to being a nice and tight action. Have driven a few short shifters but I prefer the stock smooth action. The short shifters can be a bit hard to select from 3rd->2nd gear which can be a bit tricky when heel and toeing. The stock shifter is really good but over time can be a bit sloppy due to the plastic components. Luckily the stuff is relatively cheap and makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of the car.

From the rebuild kits ive seen they supply some pins and carrier bushings. I ended up buying the UUC delrin shifter carrier bushings (with new pins) and a new ball socket.

Fitted some UUC delrin shifter bushings. These are not listed as compatible for 135i but it does fit. The part number the UUC bushing replaces is the same on a whole bunch of cars including the 135i, but the GS6 53BZ transmission requires 2x bushings.

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/delri...--oval-p9.aspx

Also bought the shifter ball socket.

This is a big job:

V brace
Undertrays
midsection of the exhaust
exhaust heatshield,
transmission mount brace
proshaft and centre bearing

Takes a couple hours to dimantle on jackstands but isn't too difficult.

The delrin bushings supports the shifter carrier, they dont actually affect the shifting that much if you look at the design of the shifter asembly. I found it made the most difference when shifting quickly into the gates, or using more force on the gear lever, resulting in a more positive feeling. Quite subtle.

The ball socket made the most difference and cost almost nothing. The shifter feels much more solid and feels more direct when pivoting, even when gently using the gearknob.

Unfortunately the side to side slop was not cured. There was still a fair amount of side to side movement. This is due to the teflon bushing at the bottom of the gear lever being worn out. This bushing is not sold as a replacement part so you need a new gear lever. This sucks as it is a hard part to get and I did not have one on hand to swap one in when I had the car apart.

**EDIT ** Turns out this was incorrect, even brand new shift levers will have play, the CClips are designed to take up any slop in the shift lever joints. **

I found that none of the other parts really had play in them. A lot of the parts in the rebuild kits get replaced that don't really wear out (like replacing a metal rod that rubs against a plastic bushing).

I tried to press out the plastic bushing with the intention of machining a brass bushing but would not be able to do it without destroying the plastic bushing. With no backup it seemed to risky, so I opted to reassemble the car and ordered a new gear lever from schmiedmann.

The delrin bushings were a subtle upgrade so I am not sure if its worth taking the whole car apart just for them unless you have time and skill to DIY it. Definitely something that should be replaced during a clutch job as all that stuff is going to be removed anyway
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 03-20-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #105
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Do you wax your car with nivea moisturising cream?

Rear diffuser looks great IMO
Haha cant argue with the results.
      01-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #106
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

SSD upgrade for CIC

After a few hiccups I have finally got an SSD in my CIC. Because the CIC unit takes IDE hard drives I decided I didn't want to be restricted to an outdated standard and use an IDE SSD. I have heard some reports that the cheaper SSDs overheat in Australian summers so I wanted a high quality unit.

I decided to go for an MSATA->IDE converter, plenty of cheap high quality drive out there. I initially bought a cheap converter which worked on my PC but not on the CIC. On ebay there was a listing for a nicer converter with a metal casing which was a bit more expensive. Wasn't sure if it would work so did some reasearch online and there was a Japanese blog that used a converter that looked identical from the blurry pictures.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371792480...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I purchased a 512GB MSATA SSD for my laptop that I haven't installed yet, so I will be using it for now. Imaged the drive with Paragon HDD manager. Also removed the ugly sticker on the top of the drive (2nd photo)

The actual performance increase is very minor. Menus and stuff was already pretty fast for me. I don't think I notice much difference at all actually. I don't mind too much though, one of the main reasons I did this was to increase reliability and get rid of the annoying HDD seek noise I get when the car is parked.

EDIT: The Map updates are very fast with this SSD in comparison to the hard drive
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 03-31-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #107
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Whats your thoughts on the UUC DSSR?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr/

I had read some negative reviews and decided against buying it and just bought their UUC SSK.

If I ever get around to installing my spec stage 3 clutch I may do the DSSR it then!

I hadnt seen these bushes listed for sale before, they're the same bushes that the ECS kit is for right?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...it/2511-002~3/
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #108
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Whats your thoughts on the UUC DSSR?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr/

I had read some negative reviews and decided against buying it and just bought their UUC SSK.

If I ever get around to installing my spec stage 3 clutch I may do the DSSR it then!

I hadnt seen these bushes listed for sale before, they're the same bushes that the ECS kit is for right?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...it/2511-002~3/
What were the negative reviews? It looks like a nice part but I don't think it would do much. If it was cheap then that would be OK but I think you'd just be better off replacing the plastic stuff as it wears and it should be good for another 150,000kms

Those ECS bushes are replacing the same part number but are telfon instead of delrin. Due to the way the carrier is designed, there is no real reason to go telfon. The bushing hardly pivots at all so the slippery nature of telfon doesnt have much use. The harder delrin seems like the way to go in making the shifter gates a bit more solid.
      01-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #109
vMPM
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i M Sport

Your car is sooooo clean
Appreciate 1
vtl1492.00
      01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #110
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

OEM fire extinguisher mount with SupercheapAuto 1KG fire extingisher

RHD fire extinguisher mount (mounts on left side passenger seat): 52100413022

This is a great little mount that is mounted to the passenger seat for a fire extinguisher. I wanted to prepare the car in case I ever need to do CAMs sanctioned track events.

The mounting holes on the seats are not threaded, so you have to use the tapered black screws to form a thread. I found this system to be rubbish and 3 of the six holes were very easily stripped out . I will just ream out the holes and install some rivnuts instead, which will be much more secure and reliable. You have to be careful though, if you install long bolts for the fire extinguisher mount it will actually prevent the front knee support from extending. The extinguisher mount is designed for M6 screws but I will be using M5 rivnuts, which will be short enough not to prevent the knee support from moving.

Bought one of these to do the rivnut, arrived very quickly and nuts are included:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182412148...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Overall the extinguisher mount is good apart from the mounting screws, I have seen the KAPP mount which allows the whole assembly to rattle and flex, whereas this mount is very secure. I am thinking it might be a nifty place to store a large drink bottle, you could buy the drivers side mount as well for that purpose.

Mounting the SCA fire extinguisher was pretty easy. The holes don't line up but the mounting hole can be easily shifted to line up with the mount. Just need to tap the mounting hole with a hammer and it is easily shifted across. Could also touch up the exposed paint with some red if you were really anal.

The handle of the extinguisher can rattle over sharp bumps, this is easily fixed with a rubber band
Attached Images