BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2024, 08:24 PM   #1
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Coupe

Leak Down Test - Am I doing something wrong

So I performed a leak down test. I thought I'd leave the plugs in and do one cylinder at a time. Not expecting the wrench would fly around and get wedged in the fan when I added 100psi. I removed all plugs and began again, once I got the wrench free, hopefully no damage to the fan. The tester is a piece of crap, for every 20 PSI it would max out on the leak side. By the time I got to 50 PSI, the leak side made a full revolution and hung up on the fall back needle so it couldn't continue spinning. In any case, as I released the air into the cylinder it leaked at a rate almost 50% slower then it was added. I could swear I smelt that raw fuel from number 1 cylinder blowing out number 2. That was the cylinder that was soaked in fuel when plug was pulled although the 1 cylinder had a stuck open fuel injector. That issue is fixed, new plugs, new coils but car runs better but not drivable. The car was somewhat warm. I moved the the crank a little bit and felt everything seal and emmediatly started holding, but no way would any cylinder come close to successfully getting 100 PSI let alone hold it it when it's leaking at such a fast rate. Maybe I was able to get 50 PSI in before it evened out at the same rate of loss. I have, multiple misfires, cylinder 1 combustion too short, catalytic damage from poor gas combustion, white pums of smoke, fuel getting into the exhaust. Is it possible all cylinders are leaking from a blown head gasket. I'm so done, getting to old for this crap. It appear once at TDC, just a push more seals the valves. Any suggestions would help, I'm ready to call a tow truck and give it to BMW, my worst fear.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 07:11 PM   #2
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

It sounds like you "money shifted" into the wrong gear and over accelerated the internals of the engine; which could damage many internal components. At this point, I would probably just look for a known-good engine out of a running wreck as the cheapest fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

What was your compression test result.
      04-02-2024, 10:23 AM   #4
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What was your compression test result.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...51&postcount=7
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3238.50
      04-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

No deviation is suspect. Cylinders compression should vary a bit, like +/- 5 on a reliable test.