BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

BMW is keeping N54 in their higher cost, higher margin products. Valvetronic is cheaper than a second turbo, BMW is telling you it is.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #46
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stock for stock the N55 might outperform the N54, but tuning wise, top-end power on the N55 is going to suffer due to the fact it only has 1 turbo. There is only so much boost 1 turbo can deliver, and all of this technology (twinscroll, VVT, etc.) will only help the low end/boost-response of the engine. It certainly will be interesting to see if tuners can adapt to tuning the N55 and what results can be achieved.
      01-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #47
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
BMW is keeping N54 in their higher cost, higher margin products. Valvetronic is cheaper than a second turbo, BMW is telling you it is.
Not even CLOSE... you are crazy to think a turbo is more expensive than the Valavetronic system- turbos are a dime a dozen.
      01-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The driver now pulls the right paddle for upshifts and the left for down shifts.
FINALLY.
Is this already true of other BMW's that use the DCT?
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #49
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
FINALLY.
Is this already true of other BMW's that use the DCT?
Only M cars currently 1/10 but will eventually be all auto/dct with rollout beginning in March/10(may be optional on some models).
      01-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #50
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Interesting exerpt from Modded online about the benefits of a twin-scroll turbo. Looks like BMWs claims are true.

The result of the superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design is better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder. In fact, with more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side while drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases, helping pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. And as we all know, a denser and purer air charge means stronger combustion and more power, and more power is good!

But the benefits of twin-scroll design don't end there. With its greater volumetric efficiency and stronger scavenging effect, higher ignition delay can be used, which helps keep peak temperature in the cylinders down. Since cooler cylinder temperatures and lower exhaust gas temperatures allows for a leaner air/fuel ratio, twin-scroll turbo design has been shown to increase turbine efficiency by 7-8 percent and result in fuel efficiency improvements as high as 5 percent.

Combine these benefits with a well-engineered tubular equal-length manifold and the design strengths of a twin-scroll approach can pay even bigger dividends. "Equal length" simply refers to the length of the primary exhaust manifold tubes or runners that the cylinder head exhaust ports breath out into, which should ideally be of equal length before merging at a narrow angle at the collector so that the gases flow smoothly together into the turbine inlet. This helps maintain exhaust gas pulse energy, resulting in better boost response and overall higher turbo efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #51
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Its a coupe with the sunroof delete option. Its an option thats availible everywhere except the US.
Its not really a delete here in Canuckland. In actuality we just don't get one standard and have to pay mucho deniro for it if we want one. If you like having one it doesn't really work in your favour.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #52
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Mileage Bump?

Wonder if that engine weight loss/economy gain will bump the mileage up from US EPA ratings -

AT 18/25
MT 17/25.

Doubt the 20kg makes any difference, but the efficiency part might? Would DCT have any noticeable effect?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #53
bmwguy58
Rep
Drives: 2010 650i

Led Tail Lights Please
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #54
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Wow!!! It seems like yesterday that i got my 09 135 and Pooof............the 2011 models are rolling out already!?!?!? Damn time goes by quick.
The savings that the N55 brings to the table are NOT enough to put it over the top of the N54. I see here cost cutting, and bmw tossing a bone to the green party. Im not moved. Its a less complex engine that cost less nothing more....
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #55
530i-2002
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 530i

Efficiency matters to me as much as performance - the car's going to be my daily driver and I put on around 70 miles daily...

Quote:
Based on what BMW is doing rather than what people are saying- common sense tells you that the N54 engine is the one to get if you value performance over efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #56
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
[/B]

It is funny to me writing these posts as people doubted the 1 would get the DCT last week when many of us new it was coming now some are doubting that the 3er will see the DCT with the N54 only.... trust us people!!
Amen.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #57
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Wow!!! It seems like yesterday that i got my 09 135 and Pooof............the 2011 models are rolling out already!?!?!? Damn time goes by quick.
No kidding. I haven't even had my '08 for two years (May 2008) yet. We're not even halfway through the first month of 2010 and the 2011 models will begin arriving in the Spring.
      01-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #58
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
First of all, Valvetronic is not less expensive than a turbocharger. Do you have quantitative information on that claim? Also, do you really think the new 5GT, 5 Sedan, 5 Touring, upcoming 1 ///M are not high margin? The 5 is BMW's top selling car after the 3er; I'm sure they want a good margin on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
The savings that the N55 brings to the table are NOT enough to put it over the top of the N54. I see here cost cutting, and bmw tossing a bone to the green party. Im not moved. Its a less complex engine that cost less nothing more....
I'm no expert or engineer, but from actual reading I've done, Valvetronic sound a heck of a lot more complex than a turbocharger.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #59
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

People looking for a nice power gain on stock hardware will be disappointed by this move IMO, possibly the only advantage of the twins and the N54.

Twinscrolls are great, and from of the looks of it, BMW has done a nice job. I'd be interested to see how it feels in the real world.
      01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #60
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
First of all, Valvetronic is not less expensive than a turbocharger. Do you have quantitative information on that claim? Also, do you really think the new 5GT, 5 Sedan, 5 Touring, upcoming 1 ///M are not high margin? The 5 is BMW's top selling car after the 3er; I'm sure they want a good margin on it.
No, I don't, do you have quantitative data that shows otherwise? Valvetronic while I'm sure was costly to DEVELOP is not as costly to PRODUCE vs. one less turbo if I had to bet. Until someone shows me data to the contrary- that is my belief- you can believe what you want. Those of you that think N55 will cost more to produce than N54 because of valvetronic- well I'd say its very highly unlikely that BMW will:
A: See their margins drop because of this engine
B: Would be willing to increase pricing because of this engine to maintain margins (in this environment)
They will however tweak the TT on the Z4is and happily charge you more for it- hmm.
I draw my own conclusions- you can draw yours.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #61
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
It looks like the nav screen shrunk in the wash...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #62
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
No, I don't, do you have quantitative data that shows otherwise? Valvetronic while I'm sure was costly to DEVELOP is not as costly to PRODUCE vs. one less turbo if I had to bet.
You've got a good point; Valvetronic may have been very costly to develop and not so to produce. Or it may be otherwise. I'm only basing my arguments on the pros that have the inside information and are always giving out the information weeks or months beforehand. I trust them (they are always right) over myself.

However, what I can add from myself is that a turbo setup is something that has been done by every company and tuner for many many years, while Valvetronic is a technology that was developed by BMW and it was a HUGE deal a few years back when it first came out. I don't know what the production costs for the Valvetronic-related components are, but I can't imagine the small secondary turbo would be too expensive to produce.

Even if it turns out that the N55 is cheaper to produce than the N54, I personally don't think that's the reason BMW is using it. It's a more efficient engine, and goes well with the efficient dynamics program they are pursuing. I think that is the main reason for the switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #63
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Interesting exerpt from Modded online about the benefits of a twin-scroll turbo. Looks like BMWs claims are true.

The result of the superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design is better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder. In fact, with more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side while drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases, helping pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. And as we all know, a denser and purer air charge means stronger combustion and more power, and more power is good!

But the benefits of twin-scroll design don't end there. With its greater volumetric efficiency and stronger scavenging effect, higher ignition delay can be used, which helps keep peak temperature in the cylinders down. Since cooler cylinder temperatures and lower exhaust gas temperatures allows for a leaner air/fuel ratio, twin-scroll turbo design has been shown to increase turbine efficiency by 7-8 percent and result in fuel efficiency improvements as high as 5 percent.

Combine these benefits with a well-engineered tubular equal-length manifold and the design strengths of a twin-scroll approach can pay even bigger dividends. "Equal length" simply refers to the length of the primary exhaust manifold tubes or runners that the cylinder head exhaust ports breath out into, which should ideally be of equal length before merging at a narrow angle at the collector so that the gases flow smoothly together into the turbine inlet. This helps maintain exhaust gas pulse energy, resulting in better boost response and overall higher turbo efficiency.
Thats an interesting read. Im on the fence now. I was about to buy a 135 for an April or May ED but I think Im going to wait and see how this plays out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Did anyone consider that BMW put N55 into 1 becuase it got sick of dealing with HPFP issues?
I see lots of debate on n54 costs vs N55, 3 pages later nobody said HPFP is the reason..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #65
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Ok...I'm confused...I guess we dont have any concensus as to whether the N55 is an evolution and improvement for the 1er? Do we know whether the new 3er will get the N55 or N54? I guess that will provide the answer to this.

Or, is this a cost cutting move to put more distance between the 1 and 3. I would not be surprised if BMW feels they put too high a price point on the original 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #66
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I believe the change is due the bad rep is getting by all HPFP, turbos failing premature and maybe other things. By using a bigger turbo the components parts are stronger. The valvetronic is a good thing if the 2nd profile has a big lift.

The advantage of having 2 turbos is that the power comes early and has less turbo lag. But that has been addressed with the twin scroll housing. As the previews dyno graph, both engines are relative the same. Even the N55 hits max torque sooner than N54.

Now the question is @ what boost level does the N55 is getting its power. If has higher boost then the N54 tuned will roll over the new engine. If is @ same 8 PSI then eventually the N55 will beat the n54. Also the N55 on the M series probably will have a different cam profile. Not just the addition of another turbo. Has been stated that the twin scroll can hit boost sooner than the TD03.

I wonder how the manifold will be crafted and where they will locate the turbo. There is not much space down there to put a big turbo. Then upgrading will be a monumental task if it’s possible. I like the twin setup better, but the valvetronic really is appealing.

One scenario is that the single turbo does not flow more that the twins and the valvetronic makes up for the power difference. This leads to the N54 will make more power tuned the N55 and BMW will have less to deal with repairs.

So, the M1 and M3 will use the N55 but in a TT layout, with more air to move into the engine yielding more HP. Hence the $$$$ increase. Not saying that the lower model with a tune will beat their expensive M cars as is happening right now.

Dr3K0
Appreciate 0