BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #45
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Major props buddy! This thread gets better by the day!!!!
Wow thanks man! Hopefully do a 1M conversion of my own one day like you. In the far future though haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimmer View Post
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/7126/s8zh.jpg

My Grandma had a plastic cover on her lounge, which was removed for special occasions only.... will the same apply to those front brake calipers?
Haha, nah it's definitely going to be all on show all the time!

In the meantime, here are a couple more photos. I managed to attach all of the suspension arms, hub and anti-roll bar. Repainted the diff housing black and bead blasted the fins so it should like nice and shiny for when it goes on. Hopefully tomorrow they'll have it all mounted up and ready for the prop shaft fabrication.

10-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #46
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Wow thanks man! Hopefully do a 1M conversion of my own one day like you. In the far future
revozport raze GT?
that looks awesome man
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #47
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
revozport raze GT?
that looks awesome man
Exactly what I'm thinking!! I cant wait to see someone run that kit!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Awwwwww shit!

11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #49
ozimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe

that's brilliant froop
I reckon that rear subframe when fully fitted out could find a home as modern sculpture in the NSW Art gallery ... a pity it will be almost out of sight when fitted to your 135 !
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #50
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Aaaand finally after about 2 weeks I got to pick it up today! Unfortunately I don't know of any other E82 135i's that have undergone this specific transformation with an M3 rear subframe, all M3 suspension arms (rear upper guide rod, rear upper link, lower camber link and rear toe arm), with the stock 135i hubs and therefore we've run into some unexpected issues. I currently have an incurable 10mm toe out on the rear when it's supposed to be a 2mm toe in. The reason for this is that the M3 rear toe arm is too short resulting in too much toe out and the stock 135i rear toe arm is way too long and won't even fit.

I'm going to have to buy some rear adjustable toe arms from either Rogue Engineering or Megan Racing however from my research they have an arm for either a non-M or an M whereas my car is a hybrid of both so I've sent off emails asking which arm would be more suitable for my application. I have a feeling it might be the 1M arm which can then hopefully be lengthened sufficiently.

I also ended up caving in and bought an E93 M3 Front Sway Bar as well as some ECS 2-Piece Semi-Floating Front Rotors. I also needed to get some 5mm spacers for the front wheels due to rubbing issues on the front strut, front control arm and front subframe.

Anyway, here are some photos for your viewing pleasure. Sorry for the dirty car.

Last edited by froop; 11-07-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #51
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
yummy
      11-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
ozimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe

mmmmm.... yummy + 1

RE: rear toe adjustment: while searching for something else, I came across SPC Performance products. http://www.spcalignment.com/spc-performance

There is an adjustable rear lower control arm for an E46 M3, so you may find they have E90 too(?)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #53
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimmer View Post
mmmmm.... yummy + 1

RE: rear toe adjustment: while searching for something else, I came across SPC Performance products. http://www.spcalignment.com/spc-performance

There is an adjustable rear lower control arm for an E46 M3, so you may find they have E90 too(?)

cheers
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the website David. I had a look through and it appears as though they do have some parts for the E82s but there are no pictures or specs on the parts so it's a little hard to do research.

I think I'll have to stick with either a set or Rogue Engineering or Megan Racing ones. From speaking to Harold I'll probably need the RE M3 versions so I'll pick up a set from HPA with a set of front helper springs as my springs are hanging loose when the car is lifted.

I took the car out yesterday to The Farm and the car seems to handle like a dream. Feels very neutral with little under or oversteer. I didn't really push it too hard like I would on a proper race track but it has miles more grip than it did previously.
      11-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #54
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Here I was thinking my car was one of the most modded around here ...

Wonderful write-up, I had a good laugh at that note on your windshield.

What a car!!
      11-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #56
Lifestyler
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 m3 competition

awsome build
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #57
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Here I was thinking my car was one of the most modded around here ...

Wonderful write-up, I had a good laugh at that note on your windshield.

What a car!!
Wow thanks! You got a one up on me on the Sparco's though! Can I ask which ones you went for? I'm thinking of getting a set of Evo II's for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
awsome build
Thanks!
      11-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #58
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Looks good mate. That sounds normal you're having toe adjustment issues on the stock rear toe arms. Another potential to consider over RE or Megans is the Dinan piece.

Can't wait to do my suspension overhaul...just waiting on the Ohlins from HPA

How do the solid rear subframe bushings feel?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #59
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA
Looks good mate. That sounds normal you're having toe adjustment issues on the stock rear toe arms. Another potential to consider over RE or Megans is the Dinan piece.

Can't wait to do my suspension overhaul...just waiting on the Ohlins from HPA

How do the solid rear subframe bushings feel?
Ah didn't know that. Already ordered the RE M ones though so hopefully they should work.

Congrats on the Ohlins. They should be brilliant! What else are you doing at the same time?

To be honest, it's difficult to compare with or without the solid bushings due to having done all suspension mods at once but also the fact that my toe is so off so I'm getting a lot of tyre noise. Other than that it feels pretty comfortable and other than the tyre noise and a bit of rattling from the coilover mounts it's quiet too. Once I have my toe fixed I should be able to give a better assessment but at the moment I'd say that I can't see any reason not to do the solid subframe bushings.
      11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #60
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ah didn't know that. Already ordered the RE M ones though so hopefully they should work.

Congrats on the Ohlins. They should be brilliant! What else are you doing at the same time?

To be honest, it's difficult to compare with or without the solid bushings due to having done all suspension mods at once but also the fact that my toe is so off so I'm getting a lot of tyre noise. Other than that it feels pretty comfortable and other than the tyre noise and a bit of rattling from the coilover mounts it's quiet too. Once I have my toe fixed I should be able to give a better assessment but at the moment I'd say that I can't see any reason not to do the solid subframe bushings.
Really nice stuff dude, very well done. Look forward to hearing back when you have the toe setup properly. The RE M ones are good stuff from what I've read, they have some fancy carbon-thingymabop ends which makes them quite long lasting Respect on finding a M3 rear subframe, I don't have the patience or the know-how for that.

For me I'm doing the lot while I'm there. M3 E92 Front and Rear sways, M3 Front and rear (upper) control arms, M3 rear camber link kit, M3 subframe bushings, Dinan rear toe arms, Coils (+ 3.08 quaife)

The hardest part was picking what coils to buy as most companies don't allow their shocks to be sold in pairs. Ohlins let me order front 135i mounts and 1M rear mounts - perfect!
- Ohlins R&T 135i front, 7" Swift springs, 60N/mm rate, swift thrust sheets , vorshlag camber plates.
- Ohlins R&T 1M/M3 rear (camber link converted 135i), 9" Swift springs, 120N/mm rate, swift thrust sheets

Last edited by PeteA; 11-10-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #61
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Really nice stuff dude, very well done. Look forward to hearing back when you have the toe setup properly. The RE M ones are good stuff from what I've read, they have some fancy carbon-thingymabop ends which makes them quite long lasting Respect on finding a M3 rear subframe, I don't have the patience or the know-how for that.

For me I'm doing the lot while I'm there. M3 E92 Front and Rear sways, M3 Front and rear (upper) control arms, M3 rear camber link kit, M3 subframe bushings, Dinan rear toe arms, Coils (+ 3.08 quaife)

The hardest part was picking what coils to buy as most companies don't allow their shocks to be sold in pairs. Ohlins let me order front 135i mounts and 1M rear mounts - perfect!
- Ohlins R&T 135i front, 7" Swift springs, 60N/mm rate, swift thrust sheets , vorshlag camber plates.
- Ohlins R&T 1M/M3 rear (camber link converted 135i), 9" Swift springs, 120N/mm rate, swift thrust sheets
Haha thanks Pete, yeah I was told to look at some Megan Racing ones but since I needed some swift helper springs at the front I decided to just get it all from HPA who supplied RE ones.

Wasn't too hard to find an M3 rear subframe actually. Just look on eBay! If you ever are looking, just let me know and I'll help out as much as I can. Most of the information I should have already posted up here somewhere. It's just a bitch to get it shipped over. I'll post up the list sometime of all the BS customs fees etc that I had to pay...

That's good that Ohlins let you order the split kit. Part of the reason why I didn't get Ohlins myself was that when I asked HPA, he said that Ohlins weren't allowing him to sell split kits at that time. I was just lucky enough to pick up some used 1000km old Moton Clubsports which were in a split kit with the 1M/M3 rear as well. Lucky because those things are like $5000 just for the dampers before shipping and I picked up the set with rear ride height adjusters, vorshlags and a set of front and rear swift springs for $3000 shipped.

I've heard great things about the Ohlins. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
      11-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #62
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haha thanks Pete, yeah I was told to look at some Megan Racing ones but since I needed some swift helper springs at the front I decided to just get it all from HPA who supplied RE ones.

Wasn't too hard to find an M3 rear subframe actually. Just look on eBay! If you ever are looking, just let me know and I'll help out as much as I can. Most of the information I should have already posted up here somewhere. It's just a bitch to get it shipped over. I'll post up the list sometime of all the BS customs fees etc that I had to pay...

That's good that Ohlins let you order the split kit. Part of the reason why I didn't get Ohlins myself was that when I asked HPA, he said that Ohlins weren't allowing him to sell split kits at that time. I was just lucky enough to pick up some used 1000km old Moton Clubsports which were in a split kit with the 1M/M3 rear as well. Lucky because those things are like $5000 just for the dampers before shipping and I picked up the set with rear ride height adjusters, vorshlags and a set of front and rear swift springs for $3000 shipped.

I've heard great things about the Ohlins. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Ohhh Moton's are pretty hardcore. I think I spotted a set that Harold had for sale. I pulled the trigger for the Ohlins instead as I had read great things about the DFV technology in the dampers.

All up for suspension overhaul incl. labour (and a 3.08 Quaife) I'm looking at the 7k range.

Expensive hobby this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #63
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Ohhh Moton's are pretty hardcore. I think I spotted a set that Harold had for sale. I pulled the trigger for the Ohlins instead as I had read great things about the DFV technology in the dampers.

All up for suspension overhaul incl. labour (and a 3.08 Quaife) I'm looking at the 7k range.

Expensive hobby this one.
Yeah...

Far out, you just made me calculate mine and for all the brakes, suspension and labour I'm at around 13k
      11-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #64
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm at around 13k
13k of awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #65
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #66
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The mods all look great. I am sure it will improve further once the rear alignment issue is fixed and you can dial in some front camber as well. It must be like an overgrown go-kart with the suspension setup. Totally awesome for the track.

I have a question about brakes: Do you know what the difference is between the BMW performance front calipers and the stock ones?
Appreciate 0