BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
broccolirab
Rep
Drives: s54 e36

NJ: FS 1997 328i slicktop sedan S54 swapped

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
If this is not allowed because it is an e36 I apologize in advance and fully understand if its taken down. I am not looking to step on any toes or break the forums rules. I checked the stickies and did not see anything regarding 'all f/s items/vehicles must be 1 series related'.

I am in the market for more stock car that I can drive and a 1 series is high on the list. Trade welcomed

Originally car was in Colorado until I purchased in 2019 with the stock m52 and ZF
I never realized how rare the slick tops were until I met a few diehards who were drooling over it.
The car is HEAVILY documented and was cared for well by its previous owners.
Then I decided it needed to go faster. I kept all documentation and records of what parts are on the car. I will outline below. This car is at a crossroad where it could be stripped and made into a track car, or find seat belts and pillar covers and daily drive it. The carpet has been removed from the rear so the roll bar could be bolted in, I have most of the carpet but I think I am missing a section.

179K on the Body and 110K on the S54 about 2500 on the swap in total
Highlights:
Full Swap Documented with EVERY nut, bolt, and gasket used (90% of it all genuine BMW parts, will provide to those with serious interest- $22k in swap alone).
Engine:
Full CSL conversion – MSS54HP DME with Kassel MAP sensor and IAT sensor conversion – HTE TUNED
Turner Motorsports CSL Carbon airbox
Head rebuilt (touched up valves, milled, refaced)
Engine resealed
VANOS rebuilt (seals, rattle disk, oil pump disk, solenoid etc)
Upper Chain guides
WPC Treated rod bearings
Spal Fans (secondary wired to OE water temp switch and functions like stock)
CSF oil cooler and braided lines
Z3M engine harness
Kassel S54-E36 harness
Drivetrain:
ZF 5 Speed with stage 1 DKM clutch/single mass flywheel (pivot pin clutch fork and OE throw-out bearing replaced about 500 miles ago)
3.15LSD 188MM case
New Flex discs done with the swap
E46M pedal assembly
UUC SSK new bushings and DSSR
Brakes:
FULL 996 Porsche Brembo’s Hi-temp powder coat with Hawk HP + pads (Full rebuild all new seal and dust boots) I do not have spreader clips in the rear so they howl a bit a light brake pressure but seriously a 10 minute fix and $25.
Rally Road adapters
All stainless lines everywhere. (Both sections in the rear)
Body:
Car has full A/C and heat. (Busterhax Can bus cluster, not some backdoor hardwired a/c solutions that ignores the pressure switches etc.)
BusterHax 9K RPM cluster with actual mileage coded in (needs 1-2 bulbs replaced but easy fix with QR wheel)
Kassel Technica fuel pump kit
Rear Subframe reinforced
Suspension/Wheels:
SSR type C comp 17x9 et40? (cant remember offset but running 15MM spacer in the front to clear the coils and a 5MM in the back because I had them)
RE71r’s 245 40 17
ISC coils (maybe 1K miles)
Front and rear Eibach sway bars
Trailing arm bushings replaced
Interior:
Kirk Racing bolt in Roll Bar
Corbeau fx1 seats and RCI harness
Villiante wheel with NRG quick release
Innovate AFR and OIL temp/pressure mounted in cubby (3d printed piece)
Exhaust:
Megan Headers
Bimmerworld Center muffler and catback. (very tame when driving normally, awesome tone when WOT and not louder than the intake)
CONS:
It is a 328i so it was not cared for as an M car
I would say 6-8 dings on the body from car doors
Front nose cone shows moderate rock chips
Carbon fiber hood paint is cracked in a section and chipped by the windshield wiper
Dent under driver taillight

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SKI-R159.00
      05-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Man, I am falling more and more in love with the E36 look especially in red. It's the perfect blend of vintage and modern IMO, and the S54 swap makes it even better.

Have you considered selling it on an auction site like C&B? There was a Dakar Yellow '98 M3 on there with an S54 swap last year but it only fetched $22.5k. Looks like the seller backed out too.

Good luck with the sale!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
broccolirab
Rep

Thank you, yeah I may go down that road. It's hard to price these cars out. Mine is a CSL conversion, his is a more desirable color so on and so forth.

I put a price up as a place holder and am open to offers. I am sure we are all familiar with not getting out what we put into these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
wonjun
Rep
Drives: Prius, ML63 AMG, 128i M Sport

Hi,

a cool build! A question about the gearing. A 5 speed and a 3.15 LSD would make for a pretty tall gearing. Any word on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
broccolirab
Rep

It is probably a bit tall for someone who wants 100% acceleration. It goes in the high 130's in 4th which is enough for the straight after the ess's @ the Glen

This is my opinion on it though:

For a newer driver on the track, it is super forgiving with less gear changes and more focus on weight transfers, apex, throttle/steering input etc.

If you don't have a truck and trailer and drive it to and from the track - you can go 70-75MPH in it without it turning 3500rpm or higher for a long drive. Obviously the same goes if your going to drive it on the road

You can always regear it, I just rebuilt a 3.25 e30 diff and its relatively easy and there is an insane amount of DIY's and shims available.

Plus the longer your in a gear on the throttle the more you get to enjoy the sounds of the airbox lol
Appreciate 0