BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Speed Off the Street

Hi Peepz,

I know there are alot of good drivers here, I'm sure many of you also have never been to the tracks?

Just wondering anyone is interested in a public track day? Or maybe if we can get enough interest we can have our 1addict Track day?

Has anyone rocked up on the speed of the street days at wakefield before?
I've never done this before and is really keen to do this sometime soon or near future.

Anyone interested? And then we can discuss the date?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I'm going to Wakefield this Sunday, its with the BMW Drivers Club of NSW... cost is $190 for non members.

First time going to Wakefield but not the first time on the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I'm going to Wakefield this Sunday, its with the BMW Drivers Club of NSW... cost is $190 for non members.

First time going to Wakefield but not the first time on the track.
Yea i saw that on the wakefield calender....hmmm $190 for whole day and private track sort of? thats not bad....but hmmm i dont think i belong with you guys !! 135I n54 :P you guys have Steroids power and all I have is black smoke and rotten egg smell power :P
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

why not EC? the petrol u need to drive to WF and back should cover most of the difference in price....

my2c
      01-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wakefield have private track days as well whereby if you get enough cars you can book the place out for the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

yeh EC is conveniently close and a good track, but its not as forgiving as wakefield.

kaitan - it's not just N54s on the day, lots of other cars too... with less power, and more power...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Quote:
yeh EC is conveniently close and a good track, but its not as forgiving as wakefield.

kaitan - it's not just N54s on the day, lots of other cars too... with less power, and more power...
i heard at EASTERN CREEK the wall are pretty close to the tar, true or false?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR25IO View Post
true for some corners

hence wakefield is good for beginners - lots of runoff.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
true for some corners

ALot of runoff ME LIKE
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
true for some corners

sick! im a beginner but i have a mind and reaction like a pro LOL hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #11
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
sick! im a beginner but i have a mind and reaction like a pro LOL hahaha
Now you just need to work on your self confidence.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #12
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Now you just need to work on your self confidence.
hahaha true true i guess that is a bit of encouragement... cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Track day

That is a great idea im in just need some notice, but numbers could be an issue as there may be a few tyre kickers on here we will see how many turn up at the creek this Sunday
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

For the last three years, I've been doing about 15 trackdays per year in my MX-5. Did several more before that in my Cooper S - starting in 2005.

First caveat. Don't drive your car on the track unless you're prepared to pay for any damage incurred if you crash. Insurers will NOT pay to repair crash damage from track use. Anyone who tries to dupe their insurer is exposing themselves to fraud charges and serious gaol time. It's not worth the risk.

Wakefield Park is definitely better than Eastern Creek for first-timers to start on. There's much more run-off area, and unless you do something silly in turn 10 (guilty!), the tyre barriers and armorguard almost never come into play.

There is no chance you will get enough numbers from here to make a private trackday viable. With current track costs, you'd need at least 40 people paying at least $160 each (plus $50 each for an annual AASA licence) ... and that would not include laptiming. There are much better options.

Speed off the Streets at Wakefield Park is cheap. But apart from time on the track, you don't get much. No laptiming. No scrutineering of cars to make sure they're safe for the track. No drivers briefing with essential safety instructions like overtaking rules. No guidance on basic things such as tyre pressures, avoiding use of handbrake after a run, track tips, etc. No segregation of cars into groups according to their speed - hence fast cars get held up by very slow cars, and slow cars don't get clear laps because they're making room for fast cars to overtake. It can be a dangerous and frustrating day if it is busy - and there's no way to know how busy it'll be. I would NOT recommend it for a first-timer.

You're better off to join a CAMS affiliated car club (eg. BMW Driver Club of NSW), look up the CAMS Event Calendar for Speed events, follow the links, check the Supp Regs, and complete the entry form. Many of these events (Eastern Creek especially) require a CAMS Level 2 Speed (L2S) licence, which costs $103 per year (apply via the CAMS website). Otherwise a AASA licence for Wakefield Park will cost $50 per year. At these events, all cars are scrutineered, all include a detailed drivers safety briefing, many provide some first-timer driving training (or at least a slow sighting lap), all provide laptiming, all split drivers into speed range groups, and drivers are carefully controlled on track with flag marshals etc. It's a much safer and more enjoyable experience.

There are other options too, like Driving Solutions at Eastern Creek, which are pretty good, but quite expensive and laptiming is not provided. There's a new mob around called Track School too, which look pretty good. Also Circuit Club is an option although I've never tried them.

Last edited by Guran; 01-18-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Google Maps is your friend.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...h&z=17&vpsrc=6

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...h&z=16&vpsrc=6
      01-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

ECR isn't that bad, just need to have respect for turn 1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Each time I've done WP street days it's always been quiet.
It's more fun if you're there with a few friends and you can group together and others can time for you if you like.

Simple points:
Cool brakes down before stopping
Don't use handbrake, park the car in gear in the pits
Monitor your tyres wear and adjust pressures.
Start the morning slow, get a feel for the track and make small changes to your driving.
It's a fun, easy track and relatively safe that you'll come home with car in tact.
Do a google search, I'm sure someone has done a turn by turn analysis of the track and where to place the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
For the last three years, I've been doing about 15 trackdays per year in my MX-5. Did several more before that in my Cooper S - starting in 2005.

First caveat. Don't drive your car on the track unless you're prepared to pay for any damage incurred if you crash. Insurers will NOT pay to repair crash damage from track use. Anyone who tries to dupe their insurer is exposing themselves to fraud charges and serious gaol time. It's not worth the risk.

Wakefield Park is definitely better than Eastern Creek for first-timers to start on. There's much more run-off area, and unless you do something silly in turn 10 (guilty!), the tyre barriers and armorguard almost never come into play.

There is no chance you will get enough numbers from here to make a private trackday viable. With current track costs, you'd need at least 40 people paying at least $160 each (plus $50 each for an annual AASA licence) ... and that would not include laptiming. There are much better options.

Speed off the Streets at Wakefield Park is cheap. But apart from time on the track, you don't get much. No laptiming. No scrutineering of cars to make sure they're safe for the track. No drivers briefing with essential safety instructions like overtaking rules. No guidance on basic things such as tyre pressures, avoiding use of handbrake after a run, track tips, etc. No segregation of cars into groups according to their speed - hence fast cars get held up by very slow cars, and slow cars don't get clear laps because they're making room for fast cars to overtake. It can be a dangerous and frustrating day if it is busy - and there's no way to know how busy it'll be. I would NOT recommend it for a first-timer.

You're better off to join a CAMS affiliated car club (eg. BMW Driver Club of NSW), look up the CAMS Event Calendar for Speed events, follow the links, check the Supp Regs, and complete the entry form. Many of these events (Eastern Creek especially) require a CAMS Level 2 Speed (L2S) licence, which costs $103 per year (apply via the CAMS website). Otherwise a AASA licence for Wakefield Park will cost $50 per year. At these events, all cars are scrutineered, all include a detailed drivers safety briefing, many provide some first-timer driving training (or at least a slow sighting lap), all provide laptiming, all split drivers into speed range groups, and drivers are carefully controlled on track with flag marshals etc. It's a much safer and more enjoyable experience.

There are other options too, like Driving Solutions at Eastern Creek, which are pretty good, but quite expensive and laptiming is not provided. There's a new mob around called Track School too, which look pretty good. Also Circuit Club is an option although I've never tried them.

Thanks...Worth the try.

Maybe we should have a small group that plan to just rock up on one of the speed of the street days on weekdays. Who knows we might get lucky and it would only be Us small group there and have the whole track day to ourselves.

Need to plan where a weekeday when it's probably after the public holidays and therefore people would not take/ have leave :P

I'm off for the next 2 weeks. Whose up for it Hands up

I'll start it off:
Name and car
1) Kaitan = 120d
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

I'll let you know how I go on Sunday
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll let you know how I go on Sunday
Howd u go stu?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #21
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Howd u go stu?
Had a great time (except for my issues with hpfp)

Wakefield is an awesome track especially for beginners.

I'll def be in once I get my track car sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post

Listen to this person - experience counts
Appreciate 0