BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #67
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

We understand your concerns about this and it is one of our cheif concerns as well. We have yet to have a documented case of a dealer voiding a warranty because they detected a previous flash. Now, they can be sneaky about this and we have heard of dealers looking through your glovebox and finding the unit itself, or drag slips or even going on local SCCA websites to find entries into events and the like, but we have yet to see conclusive proof that a reflash has been detected once the AccessPORT is uninstalled.

When you uninstall the AccessPORT, it returns the ECU back to 100% stock. Now, there are some methods as we have discussed elsewhere where there may be indicators that the ECU has been reset, like, lack of stored data or the like. But, that is more circumstantial. Leaving your dome light on and killing the battery could do that!

If you uninstall the AccessPORT before going to your dealer, you should be just fine. However, we always recommend talking to your service manager about their stance on modified cars. Some dealers will have a zero tolerance policy while others may be more open to light mods. Also, we recommend finding out what your service manager's favorite beer is and making sure you keep them stocked up! That helps too.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #68
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

i know you guys said you werent going to do the 28i platform, but I am sure there are many 128i,328i, z4, etc that would like this product as well with the N52 engine. If you ever need help, I am local in Plano send me a PM ^_^. This is a great product
      01-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #69
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Not sure if you meant to quote me, but I was talking about the person who claimed a dealership voided his warranty...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #70
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I've been down the road of having a motor failure and did too much to the car and ultimately I decided to build my block, but I don't want to have to be faced with that again. That's the concern here.

Travis, you hit the nail on the head. I think everybody needs to realize that their is a risk involved when playing with your ECU and that everyone should suck up to their dealers. Hah
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #71
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I'm not one bit worried that a stage 1 flash is going to actually damage my car, but I have an extended warranty and just want to make sure it's in place when i go to sell the car in 3-4 years for a F30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #72
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
I'm not one bit worried that a stage 1 flash is going to actually damage my car, but I have an extended warranty and just want to make sure it's in place when i go to sell the car in 3-4 years for a F30 M3.
Exactly!

BTW, nice line up of cars. Seems like we are on the same track. Haha
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #73
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I dont think everyone should get worried. Cobb has been tuning cars for many, many years. And while our cars are a tad bit more complicated than your average Subaru or Mitsubishi these guys will not produce an inferior product. If it's not right, it'll never see the light of day. I'd trust Cobb over Vishnu, Burger Motorsports, and just about any other tuning company out there. Your engine wont blow up from using this, I promise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #74
vrod
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

My apologies Duplicate!

Last edited by vrod; 01-07-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #75
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
think its time for this thread to be locked, not good when there are duplicate question being asked

the more important info, is on the other thread anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #76
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
i know you guys said you werent going to do the 28i platform, but I am sure there are many 128i,328i, z4, etc that would like this product as well with the N52 engine. If you ever need help, I am local in Plano send me a PM ^_^. This is a great product
We greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help. We'll for sure contact you if we decide to support the NA BMWs.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #77
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

For what it's worth, I just spoke to my friend who works as the manager of the service department at a dealership and he told me that their devices at the dealership are in constant communication with BMW of NA in realtime. This feels a lot like Big Brother... Lol

I do not know anymore beyond this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #78
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I have no reason to lie about my situation, and I'M NOT ANTI-COBB AP. I am personally excited that another company is offering a flash tuner opposed to a piggy back style system.
I personally will be buying this asap if and only if it leaves no files on the ecu. The community should be aware of all pros and cons. Isn't that what the forums is about? not spreading hysterical bs, but educating each other on all possibilites.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #79
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
For what it's worth, I just spoke to my friend who works as the manager of the service department at a dealership and he told me that their devices at the dealership are in constant communication with BMW of NA in realtime. This feels a lot like Big Brother... Lol

I do not know anymore beyond this.
BMW's new dealer diagnostic tools, as well as independent BMW shop tools (ISTA), called ISIS do use a base server from BMW for reflashing and other diagnostic functions. From what I know the tools do not maliciously look for modifications to void the warranty. I would not worry too much about big brother hunting for a reason to deny your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrtoastman View Post
I have no reason to lie about my situation, and I'M NOT ANTI-COBB AP. I am personally excited that another company is offering a flash tuner opposed to a piggy back style system.
I personally will be buying this asap if and only if it leaves no files on the ecu. The community should be aware of all pros and cons. Isn't that what the forums is about? not spreading hysterical bs, but educating each other on all possibilites.
The AccessPORT when uninstalled puts your 100% stock ROM back onto the ECU. I have a AP on it's way to my friend who is a BMW Master Tech. He will be installing, looking for the tune. Then uninstalling and rechecking to see if he can tell if a tune has been present. I am confident there will be nothing found once the AP has been removed.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #80
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

glorious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
BMW's new dealer diagnostic tools, as well as independent BMW shop tools (ISTA), called ISIS do use a base server from BMW for reflashing and other diagnostic functions. From what I know the tools do not maliciously look for modifications to void the warranty. I would not worry too much about big brother hunting for a reason to deny your warranty.

The AccessPORT when uninstalled puts your 100% stock ROM back onto the ECU. I have a AP on it's way to my friend who is a BMW Master Tech. He will be installing, looking for the tune. Then uninstalling and rechecking to see if he can tell if a tune has been present. I am confident there will be nothing found once the AP has been removed.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #81
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Rob will have a crack at my 2011 135i with DCT when he's ready.

I am sure there will some posts when the tune is final.
Any news on when they will be ready?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #82
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post

Cheers,
Rob
Yeah, I am sure it's left to the technician to look for it and I am sure they will only look for something when there is a reason to do so.

It would be very nice if your BMW Master Tech friend found out that the AP is invisible. It's all about detectability.

Other then the unresolved detectability topic I love the AP. I have an AP V2 on my STi and it's been nothing short of great. I've been using it since the V2 first came out and it hasn't skipped a beat once. All of the functions are extremely useful and in terms of durability it's actually a pretty tough unit considering that it has survived me leaving it in the car in sub zero degree weather and over 100 degree weather. An EFI Logics tune + the AP = .

If you guys at Cobb found a way to truely make the AP invisible to detection and then leverage that with a garuntee or a match of the factory new car warranty if it were to cause a voiding of the warranty then you guys would probably dominate the market and leave everyone else trailing behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #83
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Still waiting for the call.
Arrrgh!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #84
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

For those of you waiting for N55 support we do not have an ETA on availability of the AccessPORT for N55 vehicles at this time. Our current priority is to provide our full-tuning-solution for the twin-turbo N54 equipped 1, 3 and 5 series BMW's. While some development has begun on the N55, there is a lot left to do on the N54 before we put significant focus on the N55.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #85
AustexX5
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5

In Austin

Hi Rob,

I'm in Austin as well and have a 2011 X5 3.5. If you need to download an ECU or would like to do a test fit I'd be happy to volunteer my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #86
TheJerseyDon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30M3,GTI,718GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
For those of you waiting for N55 support we do not have an ETA on availability of the AccessPORT for N55 vehicles at this time. Our current priority is to provide our full-tuning-solution for the twin-turbo N54 equipped 1, 3 and 5 series BMW's. While some development has begun on the N55, there is a lot left to do on the N54 before we put significant focus on the N55.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Dont forget the current stock of 1,3,5,x3,x5, and x6 all run the N55 some money to be made here
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #87
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post

Travis
COBB Tuning
Just once i'd like to see a company pay attention the N55 first and give us some love We get treated like a red headed step child....
      01-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #88
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Just once i'd like to see a company pay attention the N55 first and give us some love We get treated like a red headed step child....
the majority of the racer/tuner crowd is going to be waiting for warranty to expire or for the cost of the vehicle to drop enough to afford it.

Sure some of us have the money for a new car and will mod it right away, but my experience has always been as the prices come down, the gear heads move in and start modding away; therefore a better market with the tried and true.