BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #133
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
Got my updated ROM today from COBB, an even newer firmware release over last nights major drop. All I can say is WOW! FYI - I'm running the MadDad mids and whisper exhaust on an '08 135 Auto.

Throttle tip-in seems to be greatly improved over the stock BMW map; there doesn't seem to be that initial hesitation when gently rolling on the throttle from a stop. I had the thing in D for the first 10 minutes or so of my inaugural drive, waiting for the motor to warm up. Just rumbling around under 50mph in stop and go traffic, the thing performs great. Very smooth behavior, no jerky-ness at all - should be extremely easy to live with as a daily driven map.

When you get on it, Holy Hell! I've never had a tune on this car before, so the rush of power is crazy exciting. I hopped on the highway, and punched it in 3rd gear at 60...when I looked back down after the initial rush subsided, I was already at 120mph...whoops!

I got a chance to launch from a dig in just DS (w/ DTC off), and spun through second and into third (running on 255 'Kooks in the rear with a ton of tread). I also got on it from 40 and lost traction there.

All in all I'm very impressed and happy with the purchase. Install was a breeze once I got the updated firmware I needed. Hint - unroll your window and do this from outside the car. I walked away and came back about 10 minutes later and it was done. I intend to upgrade the FMIC, and once my warranty goes, will likely go kitty-less DP's. I really like the fact that I can get it properly dyno-tuned at that time; in addition I'm sure there will be some quality maps being shared around.

I can't speak to the other options out there, as mentioned, I've never tried them (or even ridden in a car w/ them). That said, this seems to be a great fit for what I was looking for - a daily driven car with just some extra kick (and I mean extra!). Looking forward to seeing future developments on this and what the true potential might be.
Glad to hear!! I've got an '09 135i auto and will install tomorrow! Too bad we have 8" of snow coming in St Louis. I'll post a review as well. Did you go with the MAP that was automatically picked out for you by AP?

-RX
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #134
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
Did you go with the MAP that was automatically picked out for you by AP?

-RX
Yep - OTS Stage 1; 91 Octane. Got covered in snow and ice this morning so no more testing today

I'm hopefully going to get some dyno time next week just to see what she's putting down. Will post numbers as soon as I get 'em...

Curious to read other reviews; I know there are more folks out there -
      01-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #135
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Quote:
Yep - OTS Stage 1; 91 Octane. Got covered in snow and ice this morning so no more testing today

I'm hopefully going to get some dyno time next week just to see what she's putting down. Will post numbers as soon as I get 'em...

Curious to read other reviews; I know there are more folks out there -
11" of snow now here, oh well I work till late anyhow, guess I'll play tomorrow or this weekend
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #136
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Damn, can't wait!

So real-time logging, the ability to graph/re-view data and the ability to manipulate the same maps that you guys can?
Yes! All of that can be done with AccessTUNER Race. The Off The Shelf calibrations will be completely editable once AccessTUNER Race becomes available later this year or you can create your own custom maps from scratch!

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #137
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Yes! All of that can be done with AccessTUNER Race. The Off The Shelf calibrations will be completely editable once AccessTUNER Race becomes available later this year or you can create your own custom maps from scratch!

Travis
COBB Tuning
Thanks Travis, I look forward to that software!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #138
vladr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Got my updated ROM today from COBB, an even newer firmware release over last nights major drop. All I can say is WOW! FYI - I'm running the MadDad mids and whisper exhaust on an '08 135 Auto.

Throttle tip-in seems to be greatly improved over the stock BMW map; there doesn't seem to be that initial hesitation when gently rolling on the throttle from a stop. I had the thing in D for the first 10 minutes or so of my inaugural drive, waiting for the motor to warm up. Just rumbling around under 50mph in stop and go traffic, the thing performs great. Very smooth behavior, no jerky-ness at all - should be extremely easy to live with as a daily driven map.

When you get on it, Holy Hell! I've never had a tune on this car before, so the rush of power is crazy exciting. I hopped on the highway, and punched it in 3rd gear at 60...when I looked back down after the initial rush subsided, I was already at 120mph...whoops!

I got a chance to launch from a dig in just DS (w/ DTC off), and spun through second and into third (running on 255 'Kooks in the rear with a ton of tread). I also got on it from 40 and lost traction there.

All in all I'm very impressed and happy with the purchase. Install was a breeze once I got the updated firmware I needed. Hint - unroll your window and do this from outside the car. I walked away and came back about 10 minutes later and it was done. I intend to upgrade the FMIC, and once my warranty goes, will likely go kitty-less DP's. I really like the fact that I can get it properly dyno-tuned at that time; in addition I'm sure there will be some quality maps being shared around.

I can't speak to the other options out there, as mentioned, I've never tried them (or even ridden in a car w/ them). That said, this seems to be a great fit for what I was looking for - a daily driven car with just some extra kick (and I mean extra!). Looking forward to seeing future developments on this and what the true potential might be.

Might sound dumb but we need to get a professional dyno tune for these? I was under the impression that you just plug it in the ODB, and you're set to go.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, as I am |---| <------- this close to purchasing one (under the above assumptions)

~V
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #139
theboogieman1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:

What firmware are you on? I got mine yesterday and had the Unsupported ROM message pop up. Sent it off in the morning but haven't heard from anyone yet. I found a beta-firmware release version of v1.6.3.2-1190 which almost found my car. It let me go one step further but it was for the auto not manuel. I want to try this thing out and making sure I'm not missing a firmware release anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #140
theboogieman1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Looks like the latest beta firmware was taken down tonight and brought back to v1.6.3.2-1144. Thought there might have been a new release that went up late tonight when I saw the updated icon in the AP manager but now my car gives me the original Unsupported ROM message. Looks like the guys are working hard on it, hope they find a fix soon. Missing the power from the car. Stock is nice but once you know the potential of the flash it's hard to wait to get it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #141
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladr View Post
Might sound dumb but we need to get a professional dyno tune for these? I was under the impression that you just plug it in the ODB, and you're set to go.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, as I am |---| <------- this close to purchasing one (under the above assumptions)

~V
You just plug and play. My comment intended to say that as I continue to update and modify my car, I have the option of getting it professionally dyno tuned, or using any new off the shelf maps that might be available at that time.

Boogieman - I'm on the 1190 firmware release (I've got an auto). I'm traveling and haven't been able to check for any updates over the last day or so...hopefully what I'm running is still legit..
[Update] - Have you seen this thread?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...17&postcount=1

Last edited by Gimlet; 01-21-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #142
theboogieman1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Boogieman - I'm on the 1190 firmware release (I've got an auto). I'm traveling and haven't been able to check for any updates over the last day or so...hopefully what I'm running is still legit..
[Update] - Have you seen this thread?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...17&postcount=1
Yeah I saw that shortly after I posted and that must be me. Thats why when I saw the firmware updated, I did it. Afterwards it just took me back to a previous version 1144, 1190 isn't available now so if you want to keep it be careful of updating just yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #143
vladr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
You just plug and play. My comment intended to say that as I continue to update and modify my car, I have the option of getting it professionally dyno tuned, or using any new off the shelf maps that might be available at that time.

Thanks for clearing that up man!

~V
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #144
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

AP installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I’ve had the AP and other COBB products on my old WRX wagon, never had a single issue which is why I just ordered AP for my 135. The timing is perfect, my 135 goes into the dealer this week for scheduled maintenance, I assume the AP will be here next week and the install will be the following weekend.

I will post thoughts ASAP.

As noted above I ordered the AP last week, it arrived today and I debated waiting until the weekend to install, as soon as I arrived home I decided to install, thoughts:

1. Super easy install, took about 15-20 minutes, no issues at all.
2. I installed the Stage 1 93 Octane map which was pre-loaded on the AP along with a 91 Octane map and a valet map.
3. Time for a drive (I own a 2010 135i MSport with BMW Performance exhaust and MT). At first I thought the throttle response was kind of "mushy" but the power came on smooth and boost picked up quickly. After about 15 -20 minutes my throttle response seemed to be much better than immediatley after the install. Traffic was bad in Chicago so I had to baby things until traffic improved. After about 20 minutes I was able to run through the gears driving normally and driving more "spirited" , I am very impressed with what I have felt so far, TQ is greatly improved and overall power seems more linear and stays much stronger at higher RPM's, 6th gear pulls from 60 - 80 MPH were much better - no need to downshift. A couple of rolling starts and I cooked the tires through second gear (Winters are on now). For me the AP is the pefect tool for my car and style of driving, the 135 is my daily. I am very happpy with the purchase and I look forward to some more time behind the wheel. I have a boost gauge but didn't take the time to see where max boost was, more on that later. So far...so good!
      01-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #145
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

for The Love Of God Get The N55 Version Out. Please.

Give Us A Temporary Map To Get An Extra 30-40hp Or Something. Just Get Something Out There.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #146
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Looks interesting. I await seeing some independant before and after dynos.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:08 AM   #147
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post

Give Us A Temporary Map To Get An Extra 30-40hp Or Something. Just Get Something Out There.
lol
      10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #148
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post

+1

...and double lol

With BMW's PPK down to $599 a lot of us N55 users are jumpin the gun. I'd rather wait for Cobb but this BMW deal is only good until the end of this year.

read: DEADLINE (beat 'em to it!)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #149
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
For those of you waiting for N55 support we do not have an ETA on availability of the AccessPORT for N55 vehicles at this time. Our current priority is to provide our full-tuning-solution for the twin-turbo N54 equipped 1, 3 and 5 series BMW's. While some development has begun on the N55, there is a lot left to do on the N54 before we put significant focus on the N55.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Its now 9 months since this post was made - still no ETA?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #150
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
Its now 9 months since this post was made - still no ETA?
fck... wth is going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #151
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I just found this thread.
Can't say I read every post, but most, particularly the ones from COBB.
I didn't see any mention of how much power gain nor dyno charts.
Is that available?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #152
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I just found this thread.
Can't say I read every post, but most, particularly the ones from COBB.
I didn't see any mention of how much power gain nor dyno charts.
Is that available?
Check out the dyno graphs on our 135i AccessPORT page.

The N55 ECU is completely different from the N54 motor, so it's a long and tough process to be able to flash it through the OBDII port. But, we are working very hard on it in conjunction with our N54 work (map updates, new maps, ATR, etc.). We haven't forgotten about the N55 car!

Ian
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #153
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Check out the dyno graphs on our 135i AccessPORT page.

The N55 ECU is completely different from the N54 motor, so it's a long and tough process to be able to flash it through the OBDII port. But, we are working very hard on it in conjunction with our N54 work (map updates, new maps, ATR, etc.). We haven't forgotten about the N55 car!

Ian
Gklad to hear the N55 is not forgotten - but I have to tell you it does feel that way -
Appreciate 0