BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #331
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Do you have any strategies to help improve the front-rear weight distribution? 54F is pretty rough, I am wondering if you have any "easy" weight loss still available - windshield washer fluid system, A/C, etc?

I do love that bodywork though, damn I wish the stars had aligned to widebody my 1er.

-Mark
54f is really not too bad.. Adding downforce to the front will be helpful too, have to remember that. It's a bummer these cars, nor the 1M, didn't come with carbon crash beams like the real M cars. I've already saved some weight by removed the VRSF IC, but I wish the stock IC was up for the task because it only weighs 8lbs!

I'm not ready to remove AC and I don't think I ever will, until this become a dedicated race car and I own a trailer, and that's a ways out. I have the washer reservoir in there with the tiny pump, removed the headlight washer plumbing and pump, and it has no fluid in it. Not much else I can do for now other than run the stock battery to bring some weight back to the rear.

Meanwhile, jetlag is killing me, so I went for a drive last night and snapped this at 4am. Battery died, ironically in front of a weed dispensary that wasn't even open yet.

Appreciate 3
      09-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #332
st-pierre
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i N55

Car looks insane !
I didn't see the APR splitter installed yet any issues?
Did you do the cowl filters to save a little more weight up front?
Hows the engine temps you mentioned changing thermostat?

Was also wondering are you running meth ?

Last edited by st-pierre; 09-09-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #333
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hi Berns, are you monitoring oil pressure? if so, how?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #334
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-pierre View Post
Car looks insane !
I didn't see the APR splitter installed yet any issues?
Did you do the cowl filters to save a little more weight up front?
Hows the engine temps you mentioned changing thermostat?

Was also wondering are you running meth ?
Thanks dude! APR splitter is here but I haven't had the time to install it properly and it's not something I want to half-ass... As parts flying off at 140mph is not cool. I definitely need it with the wing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDog View Post
Hi Berns, are you monitoring oil pressure? if so, how?
Not monitoring oil pressure but having a big oil problem at the moment. Thinking my turbos are dying... All of this came out of my blow off valve at the track this weekend.

Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #335
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post

Not monitoring oil pressure but having a big oil problem at the moment. Thinking my turbos are dying... All of this came out of my blow off valve at the track this weekend.

Just looks like an excuse to upgrade your turbos! Any idea what you would go with if you confirm they're toast?

- Austin
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #336
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Just looks like an excuse to upgrade your turbos! Any idea what you would go with if you confirm they're toast?

- Austin
Yeah, I'm between the CES Motorsport T4 twin scroll kit, the DBV2 v-band single scroll tubular bottom mount kit, and upgraded twins from Omar at Hydra Performance. They all have their pros.

As much as I LOVE the power delivery and response from the OEM twins, and honestly, the car is PERFECT as it is on an E40 track tune from Wedge, I really want to simplify the engine bay and have a forced induction setup that is more serviceable. The Hydra twins would be amazing, but I'll still need to run all of these inlets and so on, and while I believe they're the best option out there, I really don't want to deal with ever removing them or having issues.

The CES kit is gorgeous and extremely well thought out. It's a log manifold, which is great for a compact package, it's CNC machined and it's a T4 Twin Scroll flange, which is ideal for spool and transient response. It is definitely a pricey option, but similarly priced to the DBV2 kit.

The DBV2 kit offers some amazing things too. It's still a bottom mount design, only longer equal length runners, tubular and V-band everything. That part is super appealing to me, because it makes this a very easy kit to service if I have any turbo issues or want to change hotsides, etc...

As for power goals, they are quite low. Most important thing to me is to keep this thing cool, which means low boost. Obviously want to keep it reliable and keep it simple, too, which means no PI, no overdriven HPFP, no piggybacks. I'll likely set the first tune around 450whp and do a 500whp tune as well. A track like Big Willow, Laguna and CCW1 Buttonwillow would be good with big power, but the other tight tracks will be better around 400-450.

What I can say, is Omar from Hydra Performance, John from CES and John from DBV2 are all AWESOME dudes. I've chatted with them each on and off for months and would realistically be happy with either setup on my car.

Which way I'll lean will be decided soon... Sooner than I'd hoped, honestly, because all I want right now is seat time!

I'll do a full writeup on my adventure to Buttonwillow shortly, but let me tell you, the MCS 2ways are a game changer. I never knew suspension could feel this good.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #337
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

In addition to everything you've already done, I would highly recommend adding an oil pressure gauge as well; you can get 1/8" NPT adapters that screw into the top portion of the OEM oil cooler housing and wire it inside the car (or integrate into JB4 if you have one). The DME has a dummy light and doesn't actually monitor oil pressure. I was reading another thread a while back where the one guy actually wired one in and found serious drops in oil pressure when he took his car to the track. On that point, the VAC oil pan baffle might be a good investment, considering everything you've already done. Doesn't seem like money is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #338
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagnus7 View Post
In addition to everything you've already done, I would highly recommend adding an oil pressure gauge as well; you can get 1/8" NPT adapters that screw into the top portion of the OEM oil cooler housing and wire it inside the car (or integrate into JB4 if you have one). The DME has a dummy light and doesn't actually monitor oil pressure. I was reading another thread a while back where the one guy actually wired one in and found serious drops in oil pressure when he took his car to the track. On that point, the VAC oil pan baffle might be a good investment, considering everything you've already done. Doesn't seem like money is an issue.
I just picked up the BimmerWorld oil pressure tap and an AEM oil pressure gauge after an oil line rupture on track.

Never even got a light, supposedly the N54 oil pressure light only kicks on at 7psi.
      11-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #339
gmagnus7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I just picked up the BimmerWorld oil pressure tap and an AEM oil pressure gauge after an oil line rupture on track.

Never even got a light, supposedly the N54 oil pressure light only kicks on at 7psi.
See that makes me worried. Such a critical parameter even for daily drivers, but moreso for drag and track guys. It'll be curious to see how the pressure fluctuates when I install mine in the spring. Aside from the stock oil thermostat adapters, there's also inline AN 1/8" NPT adapters for aftermarket oil coolers.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:34 AM   #340
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

See that makes me worried. Such a critical parameter even for daily drivers, but moreso for drag and track guys. It'll be curious to see how the pressure fluctuates when I install mine in the spring. Aside from the stock oil thermostat adapters, there's also inline AN 1/8" NPT adapters for aftermarket oil coolers.
Can you link me? AN10 fitting with adapter?
      11-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #341
gmagnus7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sure, the one I ordered is from AliExpress. We'll see how the quality is when it arrives. I think I saw some with double adapters (on either side) too but I can't seem to find them again.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2048...71004c4dnA52ll
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #342
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, the one I ordered is from AliExpress. We'll see how the quality is when it arrives. I think I saw some with double adapters (on either side) too but I can't seem to find them again.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2048...71004c4dnA52ll
I ordered one from summit racing last night... Believe it was vibrant performance or Earls. Can't complain for $20
      11-13-2019, 04:43 AM   #343
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Could you take detailed pics of the APR front splitter before it goes on the car?
Curious as to how it mounts. Install pics would be ace too! Interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #344
SCato
Gamera Garage #Ron1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
I ordered one from summit racing last night... Believe it was vibrant performance or Earls. Can't complain for $20
Was it this one?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-16490
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #345
Ifranklin
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 135i

Love the car! Also thanks for the indepth thread and trying to get titan to make some wheels for us, lol. Been digging thru a lot of threads.

My question to you is why did you opt for the wavetrac diff instead of an E9X diff?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #346
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifranklin View Post
Love the car! Also thanks for the indepth thread and trying to get titan to make some wheels for us, lol. Been digging thru a lot of threads.

My question to you is why did you opt for the wavetrac diff instead of an E9X diff?

Thanks!
The Wavetrac LSD is definitely superior to the clutch type diff in the E9x, HOWEVER, I do wish I did a full M3 rear subframe, as well as M front knuckles. I think weight, rigidity and geometry would have been better. Oh well, maybe in the future, but I loved my Wavetrac on my E90 and adore it on this build as well. I owe you guys a major update. Have been busy with work, life and the car, and need to get back on here.

Till then, here's an in-car lap at the recent Global Time Attack Finals at Buttonwillow. Haven't driven CW13 for a year, and haven't had much seat time, but managed to shave off almost 5 seconds from my previous PB. All this was done with a major turbo-to-manifold exhaust leak, oscillating boost pressure and down on power, on Nexen SUR4G 200tw tires. Can't wait to keep dialing it in -- car has so much potential.

Last edited by berns; 12-05-2019 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
1and11851.50
SCato13.50
spidertri394.50
      12-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #347
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

It seems that you still have "a lot" of corner exit oversteer... is the plan to run different tires to address or adjust the setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #348
Ifranklin
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 135i

Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure im going E9X when I see the right deal. Then if/when that fails I'll upgrade that too haha
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #349
I am Jacks N54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

CES Motorsports Single Turbo kit with a Garrett GTX3076r Gen 2 (470whp)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #350
I am Jacks N54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

berns any updates for us on the CES kit? Very curious to hear about fit/finish and performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #351
BA1er
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Your build looks great! Have you noticed any issues with overheating steering rack?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #352
berns
Captain
Rep

I have really been slacking. Sorry guys!

Here's the major update from where we left off with stock turbos!
Car is insanely quick... A lot of this is owed to the CES kit paired with this heavenly Garrett GTX3076R, t4 divided 1.06. The response and power is amazing. Yes, it is laggier than stock turbos, and I'm pretty sure a hair dryer is too, but the delivery, consistency, heat and topend power make it a winner on the track, and the street.

Keep in mind, this is not an all out power car... It's tempting to put down big numbers, but I have to control myself and stay focused on the goal at hand: reliability and ease of use. I've maxed out the stock HPFP on E40 and 17.5psi, where the car made an effortless 522whp at 6200rpm and then the rail pressure tanked. Ken at Wedge Performance has been tuning this car for the last 2 years, and he's one of the best people I've dealt with, ever. So, for your tuning needs, look no further. We are currently running logs on an E30 tune, and I'm lowering the boost down to 15psi. This should put us around 500whp and keep the fuel pressure happy.

If I really want more power, I'm going to give the Spool Performance Helix a try, but 500whp is more than enough for me for now.

The CES kit is lovely, and going into it, myself and John (owner of CES) knew I'd be pushing the kit harder than anyone else. I did end up having some heat related / clearance issues, but this was also due to me running a smaller turbo than the kit was designed for, which placed the hotside intercooler coupler much closer to the manifold than desired. To solve this, I had my fab buddy weld an aluminum extension straight onto the compressor housing, and now there is only one connection between the turbo and the intercooler. Track proof!

With the addition of the CES kit, the aero and MCS 2ways, I've shaved 5.5 seconds off my PB at Buttonwillow. There is still a lot of time on the table with a cleaner lap, and I'm on 200tw Nexen SUR4G's. The goal is to run a 1:51.xx on these tires, so I'll keep pushing for that. Next outing is on 2/9.

Here are some pics of the kit before install.

Here's the dyno. Can't miss the HPFP crash there... It'll look better next time for sure. Keep in mind, this is with conservative timing and zero gain on the boost controller. Literally just added duty cycle, as I'm trying to keep torque lower, and adding gain/spool would only work against me on the track. That's a solid 450lb-ft at 3800rpm.

Unfortunately on my PB lap, the GoPro decided it didn't want to record sound, so I had to overlay sound from a slower lap. It syncs up sometimes, but it gets the job done. My tires were shot and you can see I pushed my braking point way too far on the last corner, which was the different of a 1:52 vs the 53.1! Oh well, still learning.

Here are some photos during install, and of the modifications made for the intercooler piping.

More on that VTT billet valve cover and dual catch can setup soon! ^

Last edited by berns; 01-31-2020 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 4
JM98391.00
dane08319.00