BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I installed my 3 Stage Intake and Tune

So like the title says, I did my 3SI install Saturday. Didn't really follow any particular DIY aside from watching a guy do a starter replacement on YouTube Friday night. I just took my time, and pulled the drivers side strut bar to give me the most clearance.

Took me about 3 hours as I also put new OEM Disa valves in the intake I was putting on. Actually was fortunate and didn't break anything...namely the pcv hose that I read about that seems to give the most issue although I had a new hose on hand just in case. Pretty straightforward replacement as most of the plug connectors are different and only can go one way.

Just remember to connect everything on the bottom side, before continuing with the installation and it should be good to go.

I already had my updated tune from BPC waiting and ready to go. In between the install, my wife wanted to go out to dinner, so I didn't try to start the car until I got home and downloaded the new tune.

It fired right up, never hunted for an idle, and settled in after running a few minutes like it always had. By then it was pretty late and I had some other stuff I had to get finished, so I shut everything down and put everything away.

I got to finally drive it today, but didn't go crazy as the weather is bad. But I let the car properly warm up, then did a few slow pulls going through 1st and 2nd to red line. Never pulled 3rd all the way as I was going way faster than the posted speed limit.

Initial impressions: Car pulls very smoothly and very easily to red line. Looking at past dyno graphs, I was wondering if I would feel the dip or transition you see in a lot of them.....but there was no hesitation at all. Now a lot of those dyno graphs I found are a few years old, so I'm assuming they have the tune worked out pretty good since then.....especially for an "off the shelf" tune.

The biggest thing I did notice right off the bat is the increase in torque in the lower rpm range. I've also read that the car continues to improve the more you drive it as I guess it's going through a small learning curve of it's own in regards to A/F ratios.

I did pull out the cable and connected with Protool when I got home to see if there where any codes thrown from the DME, and it was error free.

All in all, it's a nice modification considering the fact that I got an intake and bought new OEM valves for about $500.

I will update this post later after I have a chance to drive the car for a few days.

Next up will be my headers. I've done quite a bit of header installations in the past, but never on a BMW. Hopefully they go as smooth as the intake, but I won't know until I get in there. We'll see. I have done some installs that were a nightmare, and my last time doing any were on my Corvette.....and those went easier than I could imagine.

I've found out through the years that fitment is everything, and those aren't an item you where you buy the cheapest thing out there.

I went AA which I have heard good things about....so we will see!
asbrr540.50
N54Yankee2706.00
      04-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So just an update as I said I would. Car continues to run extremely well. I've heard the more you drive it after the swap, the better it gets as it adapts.

Since I did the swap, I could feel a little difference......but nothing that just knocked my socks off. But then again my butt dyno is skewed after driving my Corvette and I hadn't been getting on the 128i too hard. Plus I've heard of people resetting adaptations after loading the tune, but I didn't do that.

But today for some reason, I could really tell a big difference. Had a chance to hit some back roads and stretch its legs through the first 3 gears.....and honestly I'm quite amazed. Car pulled very hard and smooth right to red line and felt like it wanted to keep going.

I don't know if BPC did anything with the rev limiter in their tune, but I kept it at 7K RPM on the shifts.

Also.....I could not feel any discernable dips when the valves transition, so I think they have it nailed down pretty good.

I guess not having a chance to beat on it a little shaped some of my first impressions, but I was pleasantly surprised today. Actually a little shocked.

Next up will be my headers. Just waiting on some time off and better weather. I will do like before and get the updated tune ordered first so I have that part already done.

I can't wait to see what those will feel like!
E90SRB9.50
      06-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey, where did you get the stage 3 intake? I thought the N51's came with stage 3 intake stock?

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Hey, where did you get the stage 3 intake? I thought the N51's came with stage 3 intake stock?

Cheers
Yes N51s do come with them stock, but that's to make up for the lost power due to the greater emissions equipment, redesigned head/lower compression.

I found my manifold from a junkyard off an X3

By the way RMT you definitely needed to reset adaptions.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-20-2019, 04:49 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Yes N51s do come with them stock, but that's to make up for the lost power due to the greater emissions equipment, redesigned head/lower compression.

I found my manifold from a junkyard off an X3

By the way RMT you definitely needed to reset adaptions.
Found my 3SI from a junkyard as well. I ordered new OEM Disa's from FCP since they are lifetime warranty.

Just finished my header install and putting my exhaust on today.

I've got my tune from Bob ready to load.

As for resetting adaptations, any suggestions? I have BMW Protool and it shows that option, but last time it wouldn't let me do it for some reason.

I did the basic gas pedal sequence for resetting adaptations, but I'm sure that isn't the one I need to do.

After I log some miles in the new setup, I plan to install my new M3 steering wheel. Since I will be disconnecting the battery to remove the air bag, maybe that will suffice enough to reset everything?
      06-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Go to the Bimmergeeks website and buy their cable. The software you need is INPA and/or ISTA and there are links to download on the BG site. I think ISTA is called Rheingold. Both softwares let you reset adaptations and do tons of other stuff. You can also install NCS Expert whoch lets you code the car (for example, I turned off the TPMS system and brake fade compensation settings in my car using NCS Expert).
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      06-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Go to the Bimmergeeks website and buy their cable. The software you need is INPA and/or ISTA and there are links to download on the BG site. I think ISTA is called Rheingold. Both softwares let you reset adaptations and do tons of other stuff. You can also install NCS Expert whoch lets you code the car (for example, I turned off the TPMS system and brake fade compensation settings in my car using NCS Expert).

Thanks. I will look at it. Like I said, I have Bimmergeeks Pro-Tool software which does a lot of the same. I've used it to code quite a few things. It gives you access to every module, and even has "expert" tuning mode which is basically everything. It's in German, but they have a lot of stuff translated into English below each parameter.

It has the function to reset adaptations in the DME, I just need to look more into it.
      06-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Thanks. I will look at it. Like I said, I have Bimmergeeks Pro-Tool software which does a lot of the same. I've used it to code quite a few things. It gives you access to every module, and even has "expert" tuning mode which is basically everything. It's in German, but they have a lot of stuff translated into English below each parameter.

It has the function to reset adaptations in the DME, I just need to look more into it.
Oh right, I forgot you mentioned that. Sounds like you've got all the tools you need already. One thing worth mentioning is that the first drive after resetting adaptations, the car will run in an open loop mode and should run very smoothly. After that, it will start running off the sensors again and may run a little rough at first but should settle down as the adaptations are learned.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-21-2019, 03:50 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Oh right, I forgot you mentioned that. Sounds like you've got all the tools you need already. One thing worth mentioning is that the first drive after resetting adaptations, the car will run in an open loop mode and should run very smoothly. After that, it will start running off the sensors again and may run a little rough at first but should settle down as the adaptations are learned.
Thanks for the heads up! I plan to load the tune today, then start it up and see what happens.

When I got my tune, I told Bob everything I had done and what I would be adding. Only thing left power-wise after this is Milvs.

I hope the headers make a big enough change to make the work of installing them worth it. These rank up their with some of the harder installs I've done as there is just no room too work. My hands and arms will be recovering for days!

With my Corvette, I had my headers installed and the car started in less than 4 hours. Then I loaded my initial tune, then data logged some road pulls.

About a week later I had a chance to get it on the dyno for WOT tuning, and picked up almost 40hp in some areas.

I know the 128i won't pick up that amount, but I hope it's noticble!

Got the Magnaflow installed yesterday, it went on pretty easily. But the tips are massive.

I'm anxious to hear how it sounds! Hopefully not too overbearing.
      06-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
It's not a HUGE difference but it's definitely noticeable. You'll really feel it in the higher RPMs, feels like it cleared its throat.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
It's not a HUGE difference but it's definitely noticeable. You'll really feel it in the higher RPMs, feels like it cleared its throat.
You know....that's the perfect analogy. It's exactly like you phrased it.
      09-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
JesusHinojosa1
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 128i

Hey man can you do a video and update on the mods. Found an old Manifold at the junker, might pick it up but do have plans to do similar things in terms of exhaust to my 128,thank you
Appreciate 0