BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Help! How much of my ABS system is failing?

2011 135i, 21k miles, owned since new.

A month or so ago, I got an ABS warning light. Did a bit of investigation, even made this little thread:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1492230

Long story short, using Carly app, I found that last time I had the following:

1) Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 0032D3
Fault Explanation:Vehicle speed, wheel speed rear / left, electrical: malfunction
Fault Code: 0032C9
Fault Explanation:Rough road detection: No receive wheel speed

2) Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 005DB1
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left extrapolation.
Fault Code: 005DB3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left detecting starting v comparison.

So I got a brand new ATE sensor, which was exactly the same as OE, and installed it. No big deal. Drove the car a good deal, all was well, until it wasnt.

Today, not many drives (the car isnt a DD and it has rained a LOT) later, after a full day of use, probably 40 miles of driving, all the lights come back on. This time, the result is worse...

1) Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 0032D6
Fault Explanation:Vehicle speed, wheel speed sensor rear / right, electrically: Malfunction
Fault Code: 0032C9
Fault Explanation:Rough road detection: No receive wheel speed

2) Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 005DB1
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left extrapolation.
Fault Code: 005DB3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left detecting starting v comparison.
Fault Code: 005DC3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear right detecting starting v comparison.

UGH!! So now it looks like an electrical malfunction, which wasnt clear to me to be the case before. Its not taking data, the known good and recently replaced left side sensor is "failed" as is the right!

A friend had joked that maybe it was just that the right side had now passed its time... Not sure if I can confirm that to be the case. The errors look awfully the same, but isnt it odd that the left side would come back along with the right?

Also, is the 32D3 error, "Vehicle speed, wheel speed rear / left, electrical: malfunction" actually the same thing as the 32D6 error Im getting now, "Vehicle speed, wheel speed sensor rear / right, electrically: Malfunction"

Key difference is the word "sensor".

Unfortunately the N55 master code list doesnt have all of these, so I am at a bit of a loss. Im fairly worried that this is going to be a dealer trip with a $3k repair. I do have to bring it in for the airbag recall, but I didnt really want to bring it un under this context.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Any idea where the control module is for ABS/DSC? I wonder if it is possible to check the harnesses and the status of the computer. As mentioned, it did rain a LOT over the last few weeks, so I didnt drive the car much. I wonder if some water got somewhere...

Any thoughts or recommendations??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

Looks like you may have to replace the other side now. It went from left to the right side. Is your brake warning staying on? If so it might be just the sensor. it also is stating that your going over bumps with the throttle engaged. That happens quite a bit over rough roads.

the sensor connections are under the fender felt in the wheel well, as you know from replacing the first one. the dsc is in the engine bay under the left rear cover. it is rare to have a dsc produce that specific of a code and be failing. make sure when replacing the sensors that they sit the proper depth and are clean.

hope that gives you a direction to go
      06-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Thanks! Yes it's reassuring since I'd hate to have a huge DSC replacement bill. Hopefully it is the sensor - guess it was "good" engineering that the other side failed so close in time to the first...

Isn't it odd that the other side (that was replaced) is coming up again?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I'd make sure that the connections are clean, use some CRC Electronics Cleaner or MAF Sensor Cleaner, there could be a bit of dirt or something in the connector fouling the connection.
      06-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I had the light on come on today then it went away.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
I had the light on come on today then it went away.
Unfortunately that is what happened tome the first time the light showed. It came on then went off after I shut the car down. It did so again with the car on. Then it came on without a CEL for quite a while. Once the CEL joined the other lights, it stayed on
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I am hoping it is just a dirty sensor

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Do you have rust and corrosion around your rear part of your car? Like as if it was a northern car.

I dont have the same codes as you but i have traction control and abs issues dude to an abundance of rust all over the rear end of my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_e82 View Post
Do you have rust and corrosion around your rear part of your car? Like as if it was a northern car.

I dont have the same codes as you but i have traction control and abs issues dude to an abundance of rust all over the rear end of my car.
Could also be a bad tone ring in the wheel bearing.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      06-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Could also be a bad tone ring in the wheel bearing.
It needs new increment gears and just replacing the whole hub carrier and everything to do around that area. Theres so much rust and its screwing with everything in the back. The abs sensors rub on the gear too. I have an entire spare rear end for my car but just not the time to put it in. Gonna tackle everything at once if bmw doesnt let me do the 12 year corrosion warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

JHZR2 I had the same problem but on the front axle of my 135i. I used an aftermarket ABS sensor thinking how bad can the aftermarket OEM product be($20 vs $120 from the dealer). Shortly after replacing the LF, I also had the replace the RF. For me I didn't have a problem until I drove over 210 kph for the first time. I guess the difference in left to right wheel speed sensors was enough at that point to cause a problem.

Recently I had the RR abs sensor go out on me. This time I went with a BMW dealer bought sensor.... bc I didn't want to do the other side. I must say replacing the rear sensors is more of a PITA then the fronts.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #12
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
This came up on the Carly app
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_e82 View Post

Not at all. Yes it’s a northern car but it’s a 3 season car and is never used in snow/when there’s any chance of a trace of salt.

Convertibles with summer tires aren’t much use in the snow
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
JHZR2 I had the same problem but on the front axle of my 135i. I used an aftermarket ABS sensor thinking how bad can the aftermarket OEM product be($20 vs $120 from the dealer). Shortly after replacing the LF, I also had the replace the RF. For me I didn't have a problem until I drove over 210 kph for the first time. I guess the difference in left to right wheel speed sensors was enough at that point to cause a problem.

Recently I had the RR abs sensor go out on me. This time I went with a BMW dealer bought sensor.... bc I didn't want to do the other side. I must say replacing the rear sensors is more of a PITA then the fronts.

Dackel
Interesting report.

I could easily identify and confirm that the ATE part is the BMW part. So I don’t believe I have any issues there. I don’t understand enough about these parts to know how the failure could be graceful and fail over time, nor how a discrepancy could pop up only after a matter of time.

Id like to understand how to test these sensors. That may be useful/insightful if this is a weak point on these cars.
Appreciate 0