BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #969
tdott
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Lots of haters out there have lost a lot of money. Haters in here only like to talk smack.

"In just two weeks the shorts have “lost” over $2.8 billion"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#618059211412
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #970
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Lots of haters out there have lost a lot of money. Haters in here only like to talk smack.

"In just two weeks the shorts have “lost” over $2.8 billion"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#618059211412
I've mentioned how I underestimated Musk before. This train was too wild for me and I got off while I was ahead, but I wished I would have stayed on board.

Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 1
MKSixer7997.50

06-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #971
tdott
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've mentioned how I underestimated Musk before. This train was too wild for me and I got off while I was ahead, but I wished I would have stayed on board.
Me too, I bought at $26. Currently hold 0.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #972
Taskmaster
Major General
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI Msport 6 Speed

Quote:
How so? The keyless features are well implemented, the interface is intuitive and the screen is large.
The screen looks smudgy after about 3 minutes of using it, and because everything is buried in menus, requires the drive to take their eyes off the road for simple functions (this is especially true for the Model 3). It screams cheap.

Quote:
You're mistaking simplicity for cheapness. Aesthetically I agree, it's too "plain" for me. But some people might enjoy the simplicity.
No, it's cheap. The Model 3 doesn't have a real gauge pod, and again requires the driver to take his eyes off the road to look at the Ipad for pertinent info.

Since when is it the driver's job to adapt to the car?

Quote:
And do you really think a touch screen is going to scrub significant miles off the range?
Leave your iPhone's screen on all day and tell me how well the battery holds up.

Quote:
Again, that is subjective. The design aesthetic is simplicity. For what it's worth the multi-functionality of the two steering wheel controls is innovative in that it solves the ever growing need for more buttons. Whether or not everyone likes it and it will be adapted across the car industry time will tell, but at least Tesla is trying something new which is more than most car companies are willing to do for fear of alienating their customers.
This is the second time you quote "simplicity" as if simple equates to better thought out. It's clearly not. Door handles, the lack of buttons and simple switches and controls to open things like the glove box and hood aren't "simple" or innovative.

The cars look, feel and function cheaply because Tesla relies on buyers to be the actual beta testers for their cars.
Wills22994.50
stefan1053.00

06-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #973
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
The screen looks smudgy after about 3 minutes of using it,
I must admit that it bothers me in my other cars: I generally don't like touch screens, but that's not cheap, that's a byproduct of having a touch screen, and I don't see anyone else saying that a touch screen is cheap when it's in another car. I think you are being unfair.

Quote:
and because everything is buried in menus, requires the drive to take their eyes off the road for simple functions (this is especially true for the Model 3)
So does a radio and sat nav etc.

Quote:
No, it's cheap. The Model 3 doesn't have a real gauge pod, and again requires the driver to take his eyes off the road to look at the Ipad for pertinent info.
Gauge for what? RPMs? The speed is in the upper left corner.

Quote:
Since when is it the driver's job to adapt to the car?
Every car is different, so there is a level of adaptation for every car.

Quote:
Leave your Iphone's screen on all day and tell me how well the battery holds up.
The iPhone's battery is much smaller than a Tesla car battery.

Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #974
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Me too, I bought at $26. Currently hold 0.
I bought at $210. Sold at $300 when I thought the ship was sinking... then he announced the Roadster 2 and those Semi's. It might just be a shell game, but he played it well.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #975
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Walking Everywhere

...in other news... someone elses car caught on fire in Cali and coincidentally, I saw a Model X on a flat bed today...

https://electrek.co/2018/06/16/tesla...investigating/
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #976
TheWatchGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
...in other news... someone elses car caught on fire in Cali and coincidentally, I saw a Model X on a flat bed today...

https://electrek.co/2018/06/16/tesla...investigating/
User error according to the fan boys
Appreciate 1
sirdaft11880.50

06-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #977
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
User error according to the fan boys
It's hard to have a civilized discussion when the other party is too busy getting off belittling others by resorting to name calling to hide their own ignorance.

You must be the same type of person to call others "snowflakes". I think the real fanboys/snowflakes are the ones who can't handle a difference of opinion.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #978
TheWatchGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to have a civilized discussion when the other party is too busy getting off belittling others by resorting to name calling to hide their own ignorance.

You must be the same type of person to call others "snowflakes". I think the real fanboys/snowflakes are the ones who can't handle a difference of opinion.
i dont but go on....

if you blindly support something and have an excuse for every negative of a product, thats the definition of fanboy.

there have been many complaints brought up in this thread and you dismiss by saying they are haters, or uninformed, or dont know better or blah blah blah. that is textbook fanboy behavior.

its not a bad thing to be a fanboy. just own it.
Appreciate 3
sirdaft11880.50
420Coupe204.50
stefan1053.00

06-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #979
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Outside of the electric power train, the car is poorly thought out.
How so? The keyless features are well implemented, the interface is intuitive and the screen is large.

Quote:
The interior looks cheap, with the ugly smudgy IPad for a dash in the middle (doesn't that eat battery life?)
You're mistaking simplicity for cheapness. Aesthetically I agree, it's too "plain" for me. But some people might enjoy the simplicity.

And do you really think a touch screen is going to scrub significant miles off the range?

Quote:
cheap looking steering wheel, horrible ergonomics and high price tag (I understand why - but still)
That is subjective. The design aesthetic is simplicity. For what it's worth the multi-functionality of the two steering wheel controls is innovative in that it solves the ever growing need for more buttons. Whether or not everyone likes it and it will be adapted across the car industry time will tell, but at least Tesla is trying something new which is more than most car companies are willing to do for fear of alienating their customers.

Quote:
The model 3 is all of this but worse, because it looks cheap on the exterior as well as the interior. The Bolt isn't as sexy as a Model S - but it's a better package and feels like a real car.
Again, that's subjective. I find the Bolt to be pedestrian. There is a grace to the simplicity and clean sheetmetal of the Tesla line. I don't expect everyone to like it, that's the nature of subjectivity. I don't want or expect you to like it, but I respect that it's your opinion. What I disagree with is the association of simplicity for cheapness, or that Tesla owners are "uninformed" for their decision for purchasing the car.
May I recommend a better adjective is minimalism rather than simplicity? It doesn't seem that simple to use, while it definitely is minimalist.

(Not intending this to be disparaging to you or Tesla)
      06-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #980
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i dont but go on....

if you blindly support something and have an excuse for every negative of a product, thats the definition of fanboy.

there have been many complaints brought up in this thread and you dismiss by saying they are haters, or uninformed, or dont know better or blah blah blah. that is textbook fanboy behavior.

its not a bad thing to be a fanboy. just own it.
I don't blindly do anything. I've been critical of Tesla in the past, so lets end that nonsense right now. They are entitled to their opinion and I respect that. What they are not entitled to do is act condescending towards those who happen to disagree with them. You and Taskmaster don't seem to respect anyone who doesn't agree with you. They are "uninformed":

Quote:
This is why the Tesla brand is so polarizing - subpar cars with uninformed and fanatic fans is off putting to be majority of consumers.

Subpar cars: fine. That's his opinion.
Uninformed? Get over yourself.

I used "uninformed" ironically to throw the same term back at the poster who did in earnest. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to criticize me for using it exactly the same way?

It seems you and Taskmaster fit the "textbook fanboy behavior" by your own definition. The antithesis of a Tesla fanboy is a Tesla hater, yet they are both the same type of people: blind devotion to a cause without consideration to subjective opinions. Like you said, it's not necessarily a bad thing, so own it.

Note: I should have known. This thread started in the Automotive section. I just noticed it has moved to the Political section. There are some good discussions here that get ruined by childish behavior. I seriously think some of you have personality disorders, you seem to have a knack for turning even the most civil discussions into personal attacks about how "uninformed" and "stupid" everyone else is. Pathetic.

Appreciate 1
MKSixer7997.50

06-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #981
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
May I recommend a better adjective is minimalism rather than simplicity? It doesn't seem that simple to use, while it definitely is minimalist.

(Not intending this to be disparaging to you or Tesla)
I agree... minimalist is a better word. I'd argue that sometimes it's minimalist to a flaw, but at least I'm not calling anyone who likes this approach stupid or "uninformed". Maybe they actually enjoy it, right?

Appreciate 1
MKSixer7997.50

06-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #982
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi, BMW, & RR...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...afety-concerns
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #983
F80zcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Tanzanite F80 ZCP

I’ve noticed a lot of conservatives bash Tesla without even knowing much about it nor driven one. Any ideas why that might be? Oil and Gas propaganda?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #984
TheWatchGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80zcp View Post
I’ve noticed a lot of conservatives bash Tesla without even knowing much about it nor driven one. Any ideas why that might be? Oil and Gas propaganda?
Taskmaster you dirty conservative s.o.b.

whats everyone take on Musk going off the deep end? Still think Tesla as a brand will last? Hes just a racist tweet away from losing his business papa johns style.

#judy4prez
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #985
Taskmaster
Major General
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI Msport 6 Speed

Quote:
Quote:
Taskmaster you dirty conservative s.o.b.

whats everyone take on Musk going off the deep end? Still think Tesla as a brand will last? Hes just a racist tweet away from losing his business papa johns style.
I don't like Musk, I don't care for Tesla (and I did the testdrive) and I'm not a conservative, nor am I a lobbyist.

It's like, people can have a different opinion than yours, and NOT be pigeonholed into your silly labels.

07-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #986
TheWatchGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't like Musk, I don't care for Tesla (and I did the testdrive) and I'm not a conservative, nor am I a lobbyist.

It's like, people can have a different opinion than yours, and NOT be pigeonholed into your silly labels.
thats what i found hilarious about his statement. you were one of the more active and arent conservative.

the morons on either side of the aisle love to label. Ive been called a libtard and conservatard in back to back posts for the same comment lol.

#judy4prez
Appreciate 2
Taskmaster2260.00
minn193145.50

07-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #987
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

THE REAL QUESTION IS:

When the fuck am i shorting Tesla stock ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #988
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #989
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [5.00]
2016 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
this... has to be a troll. Please tell me this isn't a real thought process
      07-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #990
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

So, in WSJ today there's a report on Tesla sending a memo to its suppliers asking for a discount (i.e. money back) on parts previously delivered to them. Apparently Tesla is trying to become profitable by shaking dowm its suppliers.

This sort* of request is unprecendeted.

* Discount on parts already delivered vs. trying to renegotiate a discount on future parts.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0