BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
OneWhite35
Private
Rep
Drives: White 135i N55 DCT

Unhappy Any N55s running catless DPs + N54 midpipes?

Hey there,

I recently installed catless DPs on my N55. My current setup is catless DPs, N55 midpipes, Y-pipe, and M-performance exhaust. While the sound is nice and aggressive, it's a bit too much for me on a day-to-day basis. I've found that since installing the catless DP, my driving style has changed completely - and for worse. Now I am hesitant to go past 1/4 throttle in the city for fear of attracting attention for the wrong reasons. Further, I'm the type of guy who loves driving with windows down all the time - but now I cannot do that because the car stinks every time I'm in traffic.

I am curious if anyone on the forums has went catless on their N55 and swapped on N54 mids (which have cats and a resonator) to help with the smell and the noise. My question is:
a) how much did the N54 mids help with reducing the smell>
b) how much did the N54 mids help with reducing the noise?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhite35 View Post
Hey there,

I recently installed catless DPs on my N55. My current setup is catless DPs, N55 midpipes, Y-pipe, and M-performance exhaust. While the sound is nice and aggressive, it's a bit too much for me on a day-to-day basis. I've found that since installing the catless DP, my driving style has changed completely - and for worse. Now I am hesitant to go past 1/4 throttle in the city for fear of attracting attention for the wrong reasons. Further, I'm the type of guy who loves driving with windows down all the time - but now I cannot do that because the car stinks every time I'm in traffic.

I am curious if anyone on the forums has went catless on their N55 and swapped on N54 mids (which have cats and a resonator) to help with the smell and the noise. My question is:
a) how much did the N54 mids help with reducing the smell>
b) how much did the N54 mids help with reducing the noise?
Wouldn't it be easier to just dump the catless DP and install a high flow catted downpipe?
      07-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

1) The car smells absolutely great catless. Try getting used to it. I love the smell of my exhaust.

2) The sound changes but from the outside the car really isn't a lot louder IF you have a stock muffler. If you don't have a stock muffler, and you want to haul ass in stealth, get a stock muffler asap.

3) High flow catted downpipes are basically total crap, especially if affordable. They don't work that well and you would be better off reinstalling the stock cat if you truly can't handle the beautiful smell of exhaust.

4) Don't run mids, you are just moving the bottleneck downsteam and if you want good catalytic processing of the gas the cat needs to be as close to the engine as possible. Putting your stock DP back on is much better decision if you can't handle catless.

Finally, as a last resort try a ethanol mix, or some race gas. I personally don't like the smell of ethanol but a lot of other people do and typically race gas smells totally fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Divbetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm highly considering the setup that you listed, I have everything besides the DP and still find myself wanting the extra sound+power. If you have your old res from the mid pipe you might be able to reinstall that to help with the sound. The smell however would stay, but like mentioned above you could try an ethanol mix.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

I went through this, your best bet is to get a new mid pipe with resonators. If you still have the stock rear midpipes section (the little resonator) try installing that with the performance exhaust muffler, if not I would suggest a set of Berk resonated midpipes or maddad midpipes.

I have the catless dp and performance exhaust. At first it was way too loud and droned really bad, so I installed the Berk midpipes because I didn’t have the stock midpipe anymore. It quieted it down substantially, and the tone sounds much better in my opinion.
Appreciate 0