BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #67
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87
I'm pretty keen to get one. I'm just trying yo get my head around how the N54 oil thermostat works. How does it know what the oil temp is? Is there a wax-filled component inside the housing somewhere? I like to get my head around how things work, so I can make my own judgement with products. I emailed Andy but got an auto-reply about a backlog of emails.

If this allows exactly the same warm-up speed to 90C as the factory thermostat, sounds like a winner.
They work using a spring. The stock one and the AD one are actually installed with the spring on opposite ends. I believe that they both work by allowing compression of the spring at a certain oil temperature. I assume that it softens the spring enough to allow the oil pressure to force the thermostat valve to move away from the holes that allow flow into and out of the oil cooler.

The stock one opens at 110 degrees and the AD one at 90 degrees.

Edit: I am quite wrong in this about the way the thermostat works. Ignore please.

Last edited by froop; 03-07-2016 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #68
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Just installed 3 of them tonight. One on mine, one on a 1M and one on an N55. Installation a cinch. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Just remove the 2 torx socket screws on the thermostat cover plate, 1 10mm torx screw on the thermostat plate and 2 screws on the engine cover so you can push it out of the way. Pull out the old thermostat (brass valve and then spring) and install the new thermostat. The new thermostat comes preassembled and is installed as is, however the aluminum valve goes in first, followed by the spring.

I haven't driven mine yet, but the 1M owner has told me that the car sits at around 95 during normal driving and about 105-110 during hard driving. This is opposed to 110 during normal driving and 120 during hard driving with the stock thermostat. Keep in mind that these temperatures are at night with cooler ambient temps and no traffic. They'll likely be slightly higher during normal driving if it's a hotter ambient temperature or if sitting in traffic.
      03-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #69
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Just installed 3 of them tonight. One on mine, one on a 1M and one on an N55. Installation a cinch. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Just remove the 2 torx socket screws on the thermostat cover plate, 1 10mm torx screw on the thermostat plate and 2 screws on the engine cover so you can push it out of the way. Pull out the old thermostat (brass valve and then spring) and install the new thermostat. The new thermostat comes preassembled and is installed as is, however the aluminum valve goes in first, followed by the spring.

I haven't driven mine yet, but the 1M owner has told me that the car sits at around 95 during normal driving and about 105-110 during hard driving. This is opposed to 110 during normal driving and 120 during hard driving with the stock thermostat. Keep in mind that these temperatures are at night with cooler ambient temps and no traffic. They'll likely be slightly higher during normal driving if it's a hotter ambient temperature or if sitting in traffic.
Sounds sweeeet
      03-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #70
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

I've done some reading and don't believe that a spring can be made to reliably change spring rate based on temperature. I think the way it works is based on oil pressure and viscosity, which also happens to vary consistently based on temperature. When the oil is cold, it is more viscous and oil pressure is higher. This overcomes the spring pressure and opens the closed plunger, bypassing a lot of the oil from going through the oil cooler. Once it gets to a certain temp, the oil is less viscous and oil pressure is lower, allowing the spring to close the bypass plunger and all oil flows through the oil cooler. This kit would have a stiffer spring, keeping the plunger closed above 90C. Here is a pic from one of the N54 technical training documents:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #71
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I've done some reading and don't believe that a spring can be made to reliably change spring rate based on temperature. I think the way it works is based on oil pressure and viscosity, which also happens to vary consistently based on temperature. When the oil is cold, it is more viscous and oil pressure is higher. This overcomes the spring pressure and opens the closed plunger, bypassing a lot of the oil from going through the oil cooler. Once it gets to a certain temp, the oil is less viscous and oil pressure is lower, allowing the spring to close the bypass plunger and all oil flows through the oil cooler. This kit would have a stiffer spring, keeping the plunger closed above 90C. Here is a pic from one of the N54 technical training documents:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk...ew?usp=sharing
Sorry yeah you're right. It's unlikely anything to do with the actual temperature on the spring but by the strength of the spring vs oil pressure.

Prior to installing it I didn't actually compare the stock spring vs the upgraded spring in terms of strength but the design is different compared to the stock thermostat valve.

In the stock thermostat, the valve is actually significantly wider ~15mm and it sits over the spring that is inserted first. There is no protruding guide rod. Increased oil pressure would cause the valve to compress the spring and be pushed inwards away from the cover.

In the AD thermostat, the valve looks more similar to the BMS one with a smaller valve thickness ~5-6mm with a protruding guide rod and the spring is inserted after the valve. This means that with the increased oil pressure, the valve compresses the spring and is pushed outwards towards the cover.

I don't know enough about the flow directions of the oil thermostat housing to say specifically how it works other than that from preliminary testing, it does exactly what it is is designed to do. Opens at about 90ºC and keeps temps lower than the stock thermostat during normal driving.
      03-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #72
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Arrived yesterday, thanks Alex! Will try to get it fitted tonight when I get home
      03-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #73
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Any news on the additional orders?

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #74
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Is it too late to jump in the second batch Alex?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #75
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Any news on the additional orders?
Hey, when I emailed him a couple days ago he said everything was in order and they should have arrived yesterday. I emailed him today to confirm that everything is getting sent out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Is it too late to jump in the second batch Alex?
Hey mate, not too late. Sent you a PM.
      03-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #76
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Payment made and email sent!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #77
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The package has been sent and is on it's way finally! Thank you to everyone for their patience. Hopefully they'll arrive in about a week and be shipped interstate the following day. Everyone from Sydney can organise to pick them up from me or I can drop them off if I'm around your area.
      03-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #78
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Oh for those who have installed or are going to be installing theirs, there are a couple things to look out for.

The thermostat cover plate has a protrusion with a hole that the short pin of the thermostat slots into when the spring compresses. On my E82, for some reason, the hole in mine was somewhat deformed resulting in the the pin getting jammed so the valve would be stuck open.

Secondly, I suffered from a HUGE oil leak from around the thermostat housing after the installation. Apparently the O rings for the oil cooler hose were bad so I had to get them as well as the OFHG changed. Luckily I got another used thermostat housing which solved the above jamming issue and also the leak. So just a word of caution when installing, be gentle with the hoses. I was probably super unlucky as I only have 68,000kms and the other cars that we installed them on that night have had no issues and are higher kms than mine but better safe than sorry.
      03-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #79
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
How's the tracking looking froop ? Would love to pick up and install over the long weekend!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #80
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I've had mine installed for just over a week and haven't had any issues yet. Hard to say it has made much of difference, seems like the temperature is a bit more stable than before though.

The temperature fluctuates quite a bit on the stock thermostat so its hard to make direct comparisons unless you do a scientific test. The weather is cooling down in Melbourne as well, which doesn't help.
      03-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #81
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I've had mine installed for just over a week and haven't had any issues yet. Hard to say it has made much of difference, seems like the temperature is a bit more stable than before though.

The temperature fluctuates quite a bit on the stock thermostat so its hard to make direct comparisons unless you do a scientific test. The weather is cooling down in Melbourne as well, which doesn't help.
Yeah we have seen a 10-15 degree drops in temps over the last week, so I probably don't need to install this for another 6 months or so
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #82
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84
How's the tracking looking froop ? Would love to pick up and install over the long weekend!
They're taking their time... Still sitting in LA.

http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/?co...=LZ676210093US
      03-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #83
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

Yeah we have seen a 10-15 degree drops in temps over the last week, so I probably don't need to install this for another 6 months or so
During normal driving, my car sits at at least 110 when moving. Even on the highway, cold or hot weather. Gets to 120 in heavy traffic or more if giving it a boot.

On the drive down to Wakefield on Sunday, it sat on about 95 the whole way whilst cruising. Unfortunately I didn't get to test what it's like on the track as my serpentine belt shat itself 1st lap of the 1st session. Spent the rest of the day trying to get the car back to Sydney...
Attached Images

03-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #84
RCPBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I just finished my install here are my results
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #85
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPBMW View Post
I just finished my install here are my results
Fahrenheit units?
      03-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #86
RCPBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

It's about 30 degrees cooler over stock 215 from 245
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #87
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Batch 2 has just arrived! Unfortunately I won't be able to ship them out today so it will have to wait until next Tuesday before I can ship them interstate. Anyone in Sydney can probably make arrangements to pick up the thermostats from me over the weekend or next week. Just contact me via email, FB, mobile etc.
      03-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #88
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Batch 2 has just arrived! Unfortunately I won't be able to ship them out today so it will have to wait until next Tuesday before I can ship them interstate. Anyone in Sydney can probably make arrangements to pick up the thermostats from me over the weekend or next week. Just contact me via email, FB, mobile etc.
Sms sent
Appreciate 0