BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #45
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Hey...at the end of the day it's probably all churned out by the same sweatshop factory in China and just sold under different names.

"Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good"........I live by this ancient code! :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #46
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Hey...at the end of the day it's probably all churned out by the same sweatshop factory in China and just sold under different names.

"Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good"........I live by this ancient code! :biggrin:
Tint-a-Car use films made by CP films a company in the USA and by far the largest window film manufacturer in the world.
http://www.cpfindusprod.com/products.asp

I used there tints before on my car and never had a problem. I've also used CP films for commercial use on buildings and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #47
Muggs
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

If I had not ordered CA I would gladly have the tint applied by a second party and save $$$, however I can just imagine BMW rejecting a warranty claim if I did have issues with CA down the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #48
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Have always had my cars tinted privately. Always used a known brand installer. Never had any problems

Having said that, I "negotiated" the window tint at n/c with AutoClassic.

The security film is and I quote

"a little thicker"

just like the Accessory Girl who tried to sell it to me after the Street Legal was already included.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #49
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
If I had not ordered CA I would gladly have the tint applied by a second party and save $$$, however I can just imagine BMW rejecting a warranty claim if I did have issues with CA down the track.
+1, as stated above.
      09-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #50
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
The security film is and I quote

"a little thicker"

just like the Accessory Girl who tried to sell it to me after the Street Legal was already included.
:thumbup: LOL. I think I know who you mean. I get the impression I didn't bargain hard enough when I negotiated. Time to get serious now (if it's not too late).
      09-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #51
Binstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

A couple of quick questions.

1) Do you think it is worth paying extra to get the dealer to do the tinting, less hassle and probably better warranty wise compared to picking a company.
2) If picking a company does anyone recommend any places in Brisbane and any product types ranges (metallic vs non-metallic etc).
3) I've read on a few websites that they recommend not using a black tint on black cars but a contrast colour. Does anyone suggest a colour to use for black cars, is black fine?
4) I'm after a decent tint colour but not ultra dark. I've seen a wide range of pics of 35% and some seem quite dark but others aren't. So I'm thinking 35-50% all round or using 35% rear and 50% front if it helps visibility at night.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #52
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

A couple of quick answers:

1) Personal preference. I like to save where I can, especially when it's the same product.
2) No idea about Brisbane, but you'll need non-metallic so it doesn't interfere with your radio signal (antenna built into rear windscreen)
3) Again, personal preference. I don't like coloured tint. I had a black Euro with dark tint and it looked great (below)
4) From the inside, you'll find that 35% tint is the same when you look out - perfectly fine for night time.

09-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #53
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

This is the BMW 35% tint on my last car..

As you can see looking out is not that bad..

I went against tinting the Vert as I dont like the look of the tinted windows with the roof down and windows up...looks ricey IMO..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #54
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post

All the latest tints I've had done have been with 3M material - the tint shop was able to show me the actual new and un opened packaging of the stuff, before using it :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #55
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
This is the BMW 35% tint on my last car..

As you can see looking out is not that bad..

I went against tinting the Vert as I dont like the look of the tinted windows with the roof down and windows up...looks ricey IMO..
A very, very good point and the main reason I chose to go with 50% light transfer rate on my convertible - with the top down and windows up, it's not very noticeable zuzu :smile:

It also depends on the interior colour too, the darker it is, the darker the tint will also appear to be...

My vert has a red leather interior, only marginally darker in shade than the coral used by BMW on the 1er and goes well with the lighter tint.

If you like I can try getting some pics for you (it'll have to be this weekend) as it's dark by the time I get home from work...

You could always go to a tint shop and ask for a square patch sample of varying transfer rates to be put on your door windows and compare, you can actually get even lighter than 50%, this would still give you the full UV protection and be even better against heat (as I explained in an earlier post) - you never know, you may like the look of the lighter tints :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #56
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Why would the quality be better when they do the work for the dealer? I got mine tinted at tint a car and the job is as good as any job they would do for the dealer. They also had cars their that they were doing for dealers. The tint is exactly what the dealer would do as they outsource it. the only difference is that you don't pay the additional 100%+ over inflated price the dealer charges. Tinting at the dealer is just a rip off like the paint protection they sell.

Also since I have the relationship with the tinter it is going to be easier to get any defects fixed instead of going through a middle man.
Agree, the above is exactly true and correct...

For all those who've had their tinting done through the dealer, fair enough if that's what you wanted to do for your own reasons, piece of mind etc. BUT don't be fooled into thinking it's better than having had it done privately on your own at a good/reputable tinters - that's a total fallacy !!!

The only difference is you've paid alot more money for that personal extra piece of mind - that's it, but each to their own :wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #57
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
A very, very good point and the main reason I chose to go with 50% light transfer rate on my convertible - with the top down and windows up, it's not very noticeable zuzu :smile:

It also depends on the interior colour too, the darker it is, the darker the tint will also appear to be...

My vert has a red leather interior, only marginally darker in shade than the coral used by BMW on the 1er and goes well with the lighter tint.

If you like I can try getting some pics for you (it'll have to be this weekend) as it's dark by the time I get home from work...

You could always go to a tint shop and ask for a square patch sample of varying transfer rates to be put on your door windows and compare, you can actually get even lighter than 50%, this would still give you the full UV protection and be even better against heat (as I explained in an earlier post) - you never know, you may like the look of the lighter tints :smile:
Thanks Wraith...that would be great mate.:smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #58
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binstar View Post
A couple of quick questions.

1) Do you think it is worth paying extra to get the dealer to do the tinting, less hassle and probably better warranty wise compared to picking a company.
2) If picking a company does anyone recommend any places in Brisbane and any product types ranges (metallic vs non-metallic etc).
3) I've read on a few websites that they recommend not using a black tint on black cars but a contrast colour. Does anyone suggest a colour to use for black cars, is black fine?
4) I'm after a decent tint colour but not ultra dark. I've seen a wide range of pics of 35% and some seem quite dark but others aren't. So I'm thinking 35-50% all round or using 35% rear and 50% front if it helps visibility at night.
1) I go with the dealer, usually because if there's any problem I can hand it back and say "you fix it". The extra I pay effectively becomes an insurance premium.
2) Like Cozza said. I had to make sure this was the case with my Subaru for the same reason.
3) I think black on black is the best way to go. Not only will the AW owners be doubly envious it goes well with my black leather interior. After all, black goes well with any colour, especially if it's black!
4) 35% all around is the way to go again IMO. I had this on previous car and again, no problems at night.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #59
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I am going with 35% Midnight Express from Tint a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #60
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'll put some pics up this weekend for zuzu and for anyone else interested of 2 of my cars back to back, one has 30% and the other 50% for comparison - hopefully the pics will be clear enough :smile:

The 30% (at least that's what I was told it was and assured it's the 'actual' legal limit in Vic.) looks identicle to other 35% tint jobs I've seen around and it's over 6 years old now and in perfect condition, the 50% job is now 4 years old and also still perfect, so from my pics to come, you'll also get a good idea of condition over time, for those worried about long term ill effects, which are rare if not non-existant these days with good quality tint material, hence tint film deterioration concerns should not be a major worry and you shouldn't have to pay extra dealer charges for that piece of mind :wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #61
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Agree, the above is exactly true and correct...

For all those who've had their tinting done through the dealer, fair enough if that's what you wanted to do for your own reasons, piece of mind etc. BUT don't be fooled into thinking it's better than having had it done privately on your own at a good/reputable tinters - that's a total fallacy !!!

The only difference is you've paid alot more money for that personal extra piece of mind - that's it, but each to their own :wink:
Never said I thought it was better. Product would be exactly the same.

Care taken? Human nature would say that they will put in that extra few % for a dealer because they'll want to maintain the link. Lots to lose if dealer swaps supplier. Less to lose if you piss off one customer. Do you think they send the apprentice to BMW Melbourne to do the tints?

Even with the best of care, things do go wrong. If they do on a premium car, then I want the dealer to take responsibility, not "blame" me for going after-market.

Each can chose what they want to do. I've never told anyone they should go to the dealer, merely gave my reasoning for my decision.

I don't consider myself a fool.
      09-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #62
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
Never said I thought it was better. Product would be exactly the same.

Care taken? Human nature would say that they will put in that extra few % for a dealer because they'll want to maintain the link. Lots to lose if dealer swaps supplier. Less to lose if you piss off one customer. Do you think they send the apprentice to BMW Melbourne to do the tints?

Even with the best of care, things do go wrong. If they do on a premium car, then I want the dealer to take responsibility, not "blame" me for going after-market.

Each can chose what they want to do. I've never told anyone they should go to the dealer, merely gave my reasoning for my decision.

I don't consider myself a fool.
That's fair enough and once again each to their own IS the understood reasoning here, we are all giving our own opinions and advice, trying to help one another, not pick, apologies if that's how you read my post, but I definitely was not calling anyone a fool directly, merely explaining a point...hopefully that's all clear now :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:17 AM   #63
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Anyway, for zuzu and anyone else interested, here's those pics I said I'd do...

However being this weekend was full of sunshine, it messed with the pics a little, overcast would've been much better, but hopefully they're clear enough to see the difference between the tints :smile:

This pic shows 50% tint on the left and 30% on the right - note the 30% I have on this car does look identicle to most 35% tint jobs I've seen on other cars. Brick wall in the background can be used to see the difference.

Same 2 a little closer up

Some close ups for zuzu, showing how the 50% looks like on a vert with the top down, in this case mine has a similar red interior to Coral in the 1ers.
It's not anywhere near as dark as legal limit.

Similar pic, but with the window down a little, so you can see the colour difference/shade effect it has on the interior.

From the inside out with top down, you can use the beige coloured fence background of mine to gauge the colour depth.

Top up, outside looking in, you can see how clear it is and most of the interior is easily visible, unlike legal limit which obscures the interior, another reason I chose 50% for the vert, because I want the interior to be more visible.

Comparison of outside looking in on the 30% tint, you can hardly see any of the interior...

Hope that helps :smile: ultimately any good tinting shop will let you trial different transfer rates, as previously mentioned, you can get even lighter...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #64
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks Wraith..That is a very good comparison to decipher the differences in the tints..

Looking at your car I will definately go towards the 50%, as like you said, visibility still looks good, looking in with the roof and windows up.

Thanks for the effort mate..well done.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #65
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Wraith, thanks for your efforts. As a result, I too think I'll go for the 50% type grade.
      09-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #66
Binstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Based purely on those last 2 pics, I'm probably looking for something inbetween the two. Obviously the pics aren't always a true representation so I'll probably go look at some samples from the stores before I decide.
Appreciate 0