BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
jps
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 128i Coupe

128 - Engine Light On...AGAIN

I tried to do a search for this and found two relatively good ones from early 2008; however, I'd like to start a new one.

My engine light has come on 5 times in the past 3 months - becoming more and more often.
Time...
1. Parkview said exhaust blah blah and that it was likely the gas cap. (I am the only one the fills up the tank so from this point on I have been 100% certain it goes on correctly)
2. Mississauga said the same thing and I explained how that was impossible since I've made sure.
3. Took it back to Mississauga, they said it was the same code, I was jerked around a bit, they looked into it (BMW Canada I think) and so they scheduled me in to have the exhaust vent valve replaced (as a few of you had done in the other posts I've read which solved the problem was).
4. Before the vent valve was replaced.
5. Two days after the vent valve was replace. I'm going back to Mississauga tomorrow to speak to the Sevice Advisor.

I bought the car from Mississauga but the very first time the engine light came on I took it to Parkview because they were more than happy to give me a loaner. All the other times I've dealt with Mississauga because it is SOO much closer to were I live although they hold onto loaners like they are rare gems. Infact, when I had the vent valve replaced they tried to rent me a car before they gave up a loaner!
Sorry for the useless point for you non-Toronto/Canadian addicts but I want to make it clear I don't think it is the dealer I need to switch in order to get it fixed.

Has anyone experienced the engine light keep coming on?
Has anyone experience the engine light keep coming on even after they had the exhaust vent valve replaced?

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I do not have my BMW yet but I had a similar problem when my SUV was new. It is a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara. My wife took it to the dealer 3 times and they got so direct in saying we did not know how to install the gas cap she wouldn't take it back the 4th time. I went in the 4th time and insisted they test it. There is a simple test called a smoke test. It takes maybe 10 minutes. When they did the test, they found out that the pump that is supposed to pull vacumn did not work. They had to order a new one which meant a 5th trip to the dealer but it has been fine since.

I am sure there are a lot of things different on BMWs but I bet they can still do a smoke test.

Jim
      06-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
jps
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 128i Coupe

Got it back...
Today they changed the charcoal canister and DMTL pump.
So far so good but it has only been half a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

i know i have that problem. i used my bt scanner and opened the vent from that. seems to have worked. i just need to refill my gas this week and see if it pops on agian.
Appreciate 0