BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

Drivers seat not returning to same position

lately i seem to be having a problem with my drivers sports seat.

i take an age to get my seat adjusted to how i like them.

but what seem to be happening lately is when the seats are tilted to let the kids climb into the back they never return back to the same position, the back angle and length from pedals is all wrong.. so the whole adjusting scenario starts again!!!

the only thing i can put it down to, is you have to be uber careful on how the seat is reset, by pushing the the seat along the runners by the base, and then folding the back part slowly. If you pull the seat by the obvious it all goes wrong.. surely this cant be right?

is it just me?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

i take it u don't have power seats with memory?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

I have the same problem. I have to push back on the seat cushion part, and make sure the back rest does not go back until the seat cushion part of the chair is back in position. After that the backrest can go back too and the seat is in the right position. It's kinda annoying. Even worse if the car is facing uphill when parked.

I have manual sport seats.
      06-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

yes, manual sports seats..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

first, move the bottom of the seat then put the back to the original position. I had the same issue and realized this solved it.
      06-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

yes thats what i have to do... but surely it cant be right.. its a right pain in the butt.

especially when for example the passengers get in, and yank the seat backwards, (which to be fair is a fairly normal reaction )before you get a chance to say stop!

i just find it hard to believe its designed to be like that, or that it slipped through as being like that
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Mine is like that aswell... Dont use the backseat so it doesent matter much, but annoying anyway...
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

This procedure works well with manual seats, and takes only seconds.

While assisting your passenger into the car, use the longitudinal adjustment lever under the seat to move the front seat forward. This is probably going to be required to give the rear seat passenger additional room, and makes it easier for the passenger to enter. Then use the convenient entry feature (handle on top of seat) to move the seat ahead and fold the seat back ahead. Then assist then passenger in, then using the conveneient entry handle, pull the seat back backwards, and the seat will go back the where you adjusted it. Now use the longitudinal adjustment under the seat to posaition the seat where it should now be to give the rear seat passneger the correct leg room.

Although it sounds cumbersome to describe it, in practice it takes only a few seconds each time. I also use this method when folding down the rear seats in pass-thru mode, since they don't fold down all the way if the front seats are back, due to the rear headrests hitting the back of the front seat.

I have never used the power seats, but I would guess a similar method could be used, but it will take a little longer to wait for the motor to wind backwards and forwards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0