BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
JacobND
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

N55 - Cat and evap code issues

Hello,

My 2012 N55 is throwing 3 codes and 2 shadow codes.

After clearing, I drive until Catalyst completes its scan and it throws 3106 (cat efficiency below limit).

Then, after driving a few hundred miles the evap system completes it's check and I get 2BEA (mixture control: fuel-air mixture too lean, large deviation.) and 2BF8 (Rail pressure sensor, signal: permanently stuck).

The shadow codes are 2BDE (fuel high pressure on enabling of injection) and 2BF0 which are both activated with evap system.

I looked up each code individually and found the following:

- 3106 is common for custom maps or aftermarket downpipes (I don't think I have either but cannot be sure about the map because I am not the first owner)

-2BEA can be due to the HPFP being bad (but not always)

-2BF8 usually means replace high pressure sensor on fuel rail

One thing for certain is that I don't want to just go around fixing everything if they are all related. The reason I am posting is because I am looking for some insight on the codes all together. Does anyone know if there is one thing which would cause all of these codes?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
JacobND
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

This ended up being the CAT unfortunately. I replaced the O2s first which didn't do anything. Then I bought a used 30k mile CAT from a guy on here and installed it. When I removed the old CAT the honeycomb was broken and I could clearly see it falling apart through the top O2 sensor hole.

I plan on removing the internals and turning it into a catless downpipe after I upgrade my intercooler.

The other code was the high pressure fuel rail sensor. Costs $50 bucks and takes about 15 minutes to install if you know how to remove the cowl. I pulled the battery cable beforehand and left it to hopefully avoid fuel shooting all over. I don't think it would have mattered though. After first loosening the sensor there was a small amount of fuel that came out which was easily cleaned up with a towel.

I also replaced sparks and coils the next day since I didn't know how old they were. The sparks came out mostly clean though there was a decent amount of carbon build up. I think next is to find a reputable shop which can walnut blast my block for me. I don't want to risk doing it myself. Shops are insured and will get me a new engine if they mess up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
N55s don't need walnut blasting. I wouldn't waste your money on it.