BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Thumbs up Spring install nightmare - not for the faint at heart

Update: All good! I loosened the inner LCA bolts and the strut / spring / top hat all easily tucked back inside the fender. If you doing this job by yourself just follow the ECS Tuning: BMW Coilover Installation video. I did everything demonstrated in the video except I didn't remove the brakes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4YkVs_jm9R4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by FLATBMW; 08-03-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Be sure to loosen the inner LCA bolts so they can rotate easily. No need to remove them, just loose enough that you can rotate them without fighting the rubber bushings.

Removal of front struts is much easier by leaving the top of the struts attached and removing the hub from the strut first. Once hub is removed you can remove the top three nuts and easily remove strut assembly from wheel well with a crap ton of clearance. Remove in reverse- mount strut upper first, then slide hub to strut lower with assistance of jack.

Once strut is bolted loosely in place use jack to raise hub just enough to take weight from jack stand- not enough to lift from jack stand, just to take the weight. This will simulate the suspension being at ride height and this is when you tighten the LCA inners so you don't bind up the bushings by tightening while at full extension.

This is a fast & easy thing- just work with the parts, don't fight em!
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Be sure to loosen the inner LCA bolts so they can rotate easily. No need to remove them, just loose enough that you can rotate them without fighting the rubber bushings.

Removal of front struts is much easier by leaving the top of the struts attached and removing the hub from the strut first. Once hub is removed you can remove the top three nuts and easily remove strut assembly from wheel well with a crap ton of clearance. Remove in reverse- mount strut upper first, then slide hub to strut lower with assistance of jack.

Once strut is bolted loosely in place use jack to raise hub just enough to take weight from jack stand- not enough to lift from jack stand, just to take the weight. This will simulate the suspension being at ride height and this is when you tighten the LCA inners so you don't bind up the bushings by tightening while at full extension.

This is a fast & easy thing- just work with the parts, don't fight em!
Thanks for the advice that helps, I am going to loosen the inner LCA bolts etc. like you suggested. I think I was struggling because I didn't loosen / remove enough components. Thanks again for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

As mentioned and I also remove the outer tie rod from the knuckle. Some will certainly say this isn't necessary, but, it makes it easier to manipulate everything.
      07-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
FLATBMW
Private
Rep

Cool

I managed to loose the OEM strut nut that sits inside the top hat and tracking down a replacement wasn't easy. It is Part Number 33326760668 and called a Self-locking collar nut.

Last edited by FLATBMW; 08-03-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0