BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Pistolpete2911
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Koni special active & Eibach Pro Kit

Is anyone driving this combination?
I´d rather install this combination instead of a ST X due to the bad roads in MI.

Just curious if the Koni special active work great with the Eibach Prokit.

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Prod...pecial-Active/

https://eibach.com/us/pro-kit
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolpete2911 View Post
Is anyone driving this combination?
I´d rather install this combination instead of a ST X due to the bad roads in MI.

Just curious if the Koni special active work great with the Eibach Prokit.

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Prod...pecial-Active/

https://eibach.com/us/pro-kit
For sport springs you want the Koni Yellows to be able to handle the added rates and reduced compression travel.

PM with additional questions or best prices on Koni.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

HP never recommends anything other than yellows. What you want is the Str.t if you want to run the Eibachs and don’t want to spend the money on yellows. This is the setup I run and it’s a great improvement over stock. The Str.t are made to work with lowering springs and from what I’ve read they have the same valving as yellows with a stiffness just above the softest setting on yellows.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
HP never recommends anything other than yellows. What you want is the Str.t if you want to run the Eibachs and don’t want to spend the money on yellows. This is the setup I run and it’s a great improvement over stock. The Str.t are made to work with lowering springs and from what I’ve read they have the same valving as yellows with a stiffness just above the softest setting on yellows.
You do have a point if the OP is on a budget.

Yellows have a proven track record and hard to beat the performance and the ability to adjust damping to really dial in the ride quality or handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Special active aren't designed to work with lowering springs. The valving that allows the more compliant ride is at the beginning of the stroke. If you lower past that point you've negated the benefits. That being said I run them with Mperformance springs , 10mm lowering and they work great. Roads are shit here too and the ride and handle very well.
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
Pistolpete2911
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I´ll go with the Koni Red STR.T.

I don´t need too much handling performance here in MI.
For that I still have my e85 with a KW V3 stored back in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 04:02 AM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I'm on this setup. It is for comfort and not a performance dampener. i regret not going yellows right away.
For rougher roads, the specials do really well. but if any performance driving is what you're after this isn't what you're after.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #8
parameter416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M-Sport Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1eddy View Post
Special active aren't designed to work with lowering springs. The valving that allows the more compliant ride is at the beginning of the stroke. If you lower past that point you've negated the benefits. That being said I run them with Mperformance springs , 10mm lowering and they work great. Roads are shit here too and the ride and handle very well.
That's what I use, too: BMW Performance Springs and bumps stops, with Koni Special Active dampers. Only very slightly lower than the regular sport suspension, but with the matching bump stops I don't think you lose any suspension travel, and much better control. I will never track my car, so for my purposes this is great setup for the road.
Appreciate 3