BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Post The Ultimate Wheel/Tire Thread [v.2]

I made a gamble and got lucky on some non-oe wheels with pretty different sizing for my 1er, ever since then I've been getting asked about the fitment and what will/won't work on our 1ers. There's a couple threads on this already but it's not all in one place, some of it is poorly formatted, and some of it is outdated. So this is my attempt to offer fitment information in a concise manner.

Credit and thanks to Gary for this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213306

... BerkTechnology for kicking this off: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216413

... and Mad Dragon for this one: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209582

Note: I'm not a wheel/tire guru, I've just done some homework. If something looks wrong or you have a better well informed/educated suggestion, please post it up!

OE/Stock BMW Wheels and Tires FAQ:
  • What size are they? Front: 7-1/2" x 18" Rear: 8-1/2" x 18"
  • What do they weigh? Front: 24.2lbs Rear: 26.2lbs
  • Do regular tires work on them, or just run flat tires? Non-runflat tires work fine on the OE wheels. There is no issue with this.
  • What are the biggest tires that will fit them?
    225/40/18 is the widest size that will correctly fit the front 7.5" wheels and 255/35/18 is the widest correct fitting size for the rear 8.5". The sizes both fit the vehicle with no rubbing.
    235/40/18 and 265/35/18 are sizes that will fit the vehicle but they will require a minimum of an 8" wheel in the front and a 9" wheel in the rear.
  • What are the offsets? Front: +49mm Rear: +52mm
  • What size are the tires? Front: 215/40R18 Rear: 245/35R18

Looking to fit a non-oe sized wheel and/or tire on your 128i/135i?

Let's cover some basic info first...
  • Offset, or "ET", is the distance measured in mm between the hub's face and the center point of the wheel itself. A lower number than stock will result in the wheel sticking out further, where a higher number than stock will stick out less. Offset is important since it will determine how much clearance the wheel has in relation to your suspension, fenders, and brakes.
  • Wheel sizes are measured in width and diameter; the width measurement is given in inches and determines the distance from the face of the wheel to the inner edge. The diameter is the overall height of the wheel, measured in inches.
  • TPMS stands for "tire pressure monitoring system". This is the system that provides you with a warning if one of your tires is low on air or flat. It utilizes a pressure gauge inside the wheel on the stem that wirelessly sends tire pressure information to your car's computer. If your car has this system, you will likely need to install it on your new wheels in order to avoid lights and warnings. There are ways to disable it or "trick" it, but they are fairly complicated.
  • Staggered setups are when the rear wheels are larger in width than the front wheels. This is usually aesthetic, but can be beneficial in high-horsepower cars or when you don't need to turn (drag racing).
  • Tires measurements are not initially intuitive, the format is shown as: [width]/[aspect ratio]R[diameter] ex: 245/40R18 ...The width is measured in mm, and the aspect ratio (profile, or height of the tire) is the percentage of the tire's width to determine it's height. For example, a tire with 100mm width and an aspect ratio of 50, would have 50% of 100mm for it's height, meaning 50mm in height. The final number shown after the "R" (fun fact, the "R" signifies the tire's construction and in this case means "Radial") is the tire's diameter, measured in inches on the inside of the tire's bead. The diameter of the tire must always match the diameter of the wheel.

So now you know the lingo, and you want to see if it'll fit. There's a REALLY great tool that allows you to compare your current or stock configuration to any hypothetical wheel setup you can dream up. Want to know if a wheel with -500mm offset will fit? Go for it!

www.WillTheyFit.com

Getting larger size tires and wheels:

It would be impossible to list all of the different sizes combinations that would fit the e82 platform, so if you have a specific sizing question I'd suggest using the tool above to compare. You can also try this thread to see if someone has posted the wheels you're considering. That said, you can run 18x8.5's all around for a square setup without any modifications to suspension or fenders. You can also typically alter the offset by a few mm in either direction without much worry. I would err on the side of caution when bringing the wheels IN (positive offset/higher number) since you really need to make sure the wheel will clear the suspension and brakes.

From what I have seen, the largest sizes that will fit the 1-Series without modifications are 18x8.5 in the front, and 18x9.5 in the back.

Guys running 1ers on the track seem to prefer 17x8.5's with 245/40R17's all around, or 255's if they are able to run very aggressive camber up front. Otherwise, you can see APEX's post HERE for lot's of great info on their 1-Series specific, track-oriented wheels and configuration.

For those who have asked me specifically, I am running Avant Garde M310's meant for a 2-series with the following specs on all stock suspension:
Front wheels 18x8 ET35 with tires at 215/40 (zero rubbing, will likely try 225 next)
Rear wheels 18x9 ET38 with tires at 245/35 (rubbing with lots of weight in rear over bumps)

General rules of thumb for fitment:
  • If you are fitting a wider wheel, you will need to adjust the offset to clear the suspension.
  • Larger diameter wheels with thinner tires mean less ability to absorb bumps/potholes.
  • Excessive negative offset will cause the wheels/tires to stick out past the fenders and often rub.
  • Excessive positive offset will cause the wheels/tires to rub or even impact the inner fenders, brakes, and suspension.

Pros and Cons of a Staggered Setup
Pros:
  • Greater rear-wheel traction.
  • Looks!
  • Fitment on the car, E82's fit a wider rear tire much easier than a wider front.
Cons:
  • Can be unbalanced if not done properly.
  • Tire wear is decreased, you cannot rotate the tires on a staggered setup.

Winter setups:
  • Winter tires are necessary for a winter setup!
  • You'll want narrower and taller tires/wheels: 7x17 ET47 with 205/50R17's is a great combo.

Last edited by Matticus91; 07-17-2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: more info/formatting
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Thank you 1000 times. I was tired looking through the older threads with no offsets posted and just pictures. "looks great and all, but it is of no help to me"
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Thank you 1000 times. I was tired looking through the older threads with no offsets posted and just pictures. "looks great and all, but it is of no help to me"
Sure thing, glad to help!