BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #89
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Congrats!! hows the Pure Stage 2 DDs going?

Currently i'm running a custom MHD map from Treblia and it's not bad at all.

I would recommend you to run a water/meth kit if you can. (i know it's a bit troublesome, but definitely good for your IATs)

currently i'm not running on PI at all, as the stage 2 LPFP seem to be keeping up with the required fuel supply.

i use the NGK 97506 spark plugs, which are 2 step colder than stock, gapped @ .022 (.55mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
Hello and love the thread, I somehow missed it but am about to install pure stage 2 DD Turbo's. Doing it half as maintenance due to wastegate rattle at 85,000 miles on my 1M, then of course there's the power all the way to redline.

I'm fbo(mods in signature,went back to catted midpipes to avoid smell), and running a Jb4 and bms mhd flash.

Ordered the turbos, RB silicone inlets and fuel it lpfp.

I'm not looking to max turbos out and would like to avoid any port injection style setups. Max out a 40% e85 mix for road use and find the most reliable level of boost for track days. Hoping I can run more boost with a tad less heat soak due to being in the turbos efficiency range.

Any advice for a new Stg 2 guy? what mhd tune are you running, I won't be running meth, any tuning recommendations?

Any recommendations on plugs and gapping after the turbos?

Thanks for the detailed thread, just caught up on a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #90
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
The JB4 still has no safety for high rpm misfire detection and single cylinder fuel shutoff. If the DME cuts fuel to one cylinder after a misfire event the PI will keep spraying alone and cause a hyperlean condition in the cylinder which is very risky especially if the DME doesn't cut spark (the assumption is it does but we don't know for sure yet). Not worth the dice roll imo.

I tune these cars so I'll be doing it myself (currently FBO with stock turbos on a custom tune). Just pointing out that you definitely want a custom tune when you've got larger turbos to make sure it's all safe and dialled in.

well, you can use burger's tune for hybrid turbos. it's pretty good as well
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #91
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Thanks Lightning and car's at the shop still getting everything installed, should have it back this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Love to hear your fueling is working well with just the Stage 2 LPFP as thats all I'm upgrading on fueling at the moment, keep it simple and build from here.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, I'll start w Brugers Hybrid Turbo tune and go from there.
      07-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #92
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Lightning and car's at the shop still getting everything installed, should have it back this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Love to hear your fueling is working well with just the Stage 2 LPFP as thats all I'm upgrading on fueling at the moment, keep it simple and build from here.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, I'll start w Brugers Hybrid Turbo tune and go from there.

cool! how's the car so far Spencer?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #93
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Quote:

cool! how's the car so far Spencer?
I just got the car back about a week ago, which is absurd!

Issue was pure sent me a rear turbo for a 335 not a 1m/135. Little things like outlet piping and cooling lines are a bit different so I'm telling my mechanic direct bolt on and he kept saying well the coolant line doesn't line up? Had him talk to pure and they said "oh yea we don't sell that but you can get a longer line from this shop" instead of saying "oh shit, we sent you a 335 unit". I eventually got fed up with my mechanics requests to buy more little parts, and called pure where Charles instantly caught on to them having sent 335 turbos. From there it was fast to complete the install.

I also installed a fuel it stage 2 lpfp at the same time(and 2"inlet piping) and a bunch of other little stuff, I can tell these turbos have much higher flow but my fuel system is failing at higher boost levels according to logs but I think just a faulty low pressure fuel sensor so replacing that this week and hopefully get to see the full potential.

So far my impressions are that the turbos hold boost to redline which feels much stronger than stick with them trailing off as you get above 5500, and it's not bad but the turbo lag is certainly more noticeable below 4000 rpm's so for general all around driving I think bmw had the right turbo wheels but for those tracking these should be much better since you live between 4000-7000rpms. I can't wait to get them running right very soon!
      08-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #94
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I just got the car back about a week ago, which is absurd!

Issue was pure sent me a rear turbo for a 335 not a 1m/135. Little things like outlet piping and cooling lines are a bit different so I'm telling my mechanic direct bolt on and he kept saying well the coolant line doesn't line up? Had him talk to pure and they said "oh yea we don't sell that but you can get a longer line from this shop" instead of saying "oh shit, we sent you a 335 unit". I eventually got fed up with my mechanics requests to buy more little parts, and called pure where Charles instantly caught on to them having sent 335 turbos. From there it was fast to complete the install.

I also installed a fuel it stage 2 lpfp at the same time(and 2"inlet piping) and a bunch of other little stuff, I can tell these turbos have much higher flow but my fuel system is failing at higher boost levels according to logs but I think just a faulty low pressure fuel sensor so replacing that this week and hopefully get to see the full potential.

So far my impressions are that the turbos hold boost to redline which feels much stronger than stick with them trailing off as you get above 5500, and it's not bad but the turbo lag is certainly more noticeable below 4000 rpm's so for general all around driving I think bmw had the right turbo wheels but for those tracking these should be much better since you live between 4000-7000rpms. I can't wait to get them running right very soon!

Hi Spencer!

great to hear that your car is finally running! are you on Meth btw? i can take a look at your logs if you're on jb4.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:25 AM   #95
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Congrats!! hows the Pure Stage 2 DDs going?

Currently i'm running a custom MHD map from Treblia and it's not bad at all.

I would recommend you to run a water/meth kit if you can. (i know it's a bit troublesome, but definitely good for your IATs)

currently i'm not running on PI at all, as the stage 2 LPFP seem to be keeping up with the required fuel supply.

i use the NGK 97506 spark plugs, which are 2 step colder than stock, gapped @ .022 (.55mm)
So other than a stage 2 LPFP you have no other hardware to up the fuel pressure and you're running 26-27psi?

How is that possible? Is that what the water/meth kit is doing for you?

I've got a pair of RB Next Gen Plus's at 18-19 psi on Ron 98 and the tuners wont up the boost further than that unless you have PI or a Single/double barrel setup.

I cant wait to turn mine up to 25psi. Its already fairly rapid but 100-200 in under 6 seconds is awesome.

Last edited by schmick325; 11-05-2018 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #96
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
So other than a stage 2 LPFP you have no other hardware to up the fuel pressure and you're running 26-27psi?

How is that possible? Is that what the water/meth kit is doing for you?

I've got a pair of RB Next Gen Plus's at 18-19 psi on Ron 98 and the tuners wont up the boost further than that unless you have PI or a Single/double barrel setup.

I cant wait to turn mine up to 25psi. Its already fairly rapid but 100-200 in under 6 seconds is awesome.

Hi schmick325, great to hear that more folks here are running hybrid turbos!

Maybe you'd like to list down your mods so we have a better understanding of your hardware?

Are you running meth kit? Also, you can easily hit 18-19psi with stock turbos even without meth, so i'm quite intrigued as to your tuners decision not to up the boost further.

Do you have logs to share? take a look to see if your fuel trims are maxed out.
Appreciate 0