BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #11221
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I'm currently in the process of filling those holes back up so we'll see what I figure out. I toyed around with adding some weights to the front corners. Although that's counter to the weight savings for a CF hood, it's really just for show. I do plan on an additional safety measure underneath the hood, just in case the two other latches would fail. I just want a last "catch" to stop it from hitting my windshield if something were to happen to the latches
Weights won't make much difference, it's the flex of the CF that's the issue. Also if you're running the stock hood piston lift things I'd strongly recommend replacing them with the M3 arms. The CF hood can crack with the stock arms since they're meant for more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I don't go fast enough to have my hood lift (on the street) I'll definitely keep an eye on the thing next time I'm at the track. Maybe I'll delete the standard hood latch and go with a locking AeroCatch-like solution. I worry about the hood release cable snapping more than anything, and that would be a great way to delete the stock system.

I'm really looking into coilovers now. The Ohlins R&T units look wonderful, but I'd (almost certainly) have to get stiffer springs in the rear to go with my solid subframe bushings, and I'd probably want to get Vorschlag or Ground Control camber plates. I also like the Fortune Auto Gen7 500-Series (their building is an hour away, and they also have great reviews) which can be ordered with the correct springs and a few other goodies, and I can even then use the difference in price between the two and do an exhaust (finally)...
You don't need to delete the standard latch but I hear you on the failure aspect, I'm surprised how many people have seen issues with the stock cable! If mine ever snaps I'll delete mine and just swap my standard aero system for the locking units.

The Ohlins R&T coils are some of the best, they're highly recommended and if I wanted to spend more than a grand I would have been all over them. FA is between BC and Ohlins, I've heard great things about them too and they're a local shop, so it's cool to support them. If you want to order the FA's let me know, I can get you a discount. I just couldn't pass up on lifetime coverage under $1k for the BC's!!!
      03-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #11222
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
I'm currently in the process of filling those holes back up so we'll see what I figure out. I toyed around with adding some weights to the front corners. Although that's counter to the weight savings for a CF hood, it's really just for show. I do plan on an additional safety measure underneath the hood, just in case the two other latches would fail. I just want a last "catch" to stop it from hitting my windshield if something were to happen to the latches
Weights won't make much difference, it's the flex of the CF that's the issue. Also if you're running the stock hood piston lift things I'd strongly recommend replacing them with the M3 arms. The CF hood can crack with the stock arms since they're meant for more weight.

Quote:
I don't go fast enough to have my hood lift (on the street) I'll definitely keep an eye on the thing next time I'm at the track. Maybe I'll delete the standard hood latch and go with a locking AeroCatch-like solution. I worry about the hood release cable snapping more than anything, and that would be a great way to delete the stock system.

I'm really looking into coilovers now. The Ohlins R&T units look wonderful, but I'd (almost certainly) have to get stiffer springs in the rear to go with my solid subframe bushings, and I'd probably want to get Vorschlag or Ground Control camber plates. I also like the Fortune Auto Gen7 500-Series (their building is an hour away, and they also have great reviews) which can be ordered with the correct springs and a few other goodies, and I can even then use the difference in price between the two and do an exhaust (finally)...
You don't need to delete the standard latch but I hear you on the failure aspect, I'm surprised how many people have seen issues with the stock cable! If mine ever snaps I'll delete mine and just swap my standard aero system for the locking units.

The Ohlins R&T coils are some of the best, they're highly recommended and if I wanted to spend more than a grand I would have been all over them. FA is between BC and Ohlins, I've heard great things about them too and they're a local shop, so it's cool to support them. If you want to order the FA's let me know, I can get you a discount. I just couldn't pass up on lifetime coverage under $1k for the BC's!!!
I figured with adding weights on the corners it might hold them down more? Don't know. I've gotta fill these holes so I figured I'd put weights in the hood while I was doing it. I did pick up used E92 M3 hood struts as well
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #11223
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:

A lot of recent threads on the issue have me crossing my fingers every time I pop the hood (an infrequent thing, obviously).

I've been wanting a proper suspension, with proper alignment and set-up (corner balanced, etc.) for a long time now. The Koni's were great to start with, but I feel like they're blocking me from advancing in both finesse and pace on the track and on the street (back roads). I still have to laugh at keeping up with an F430 and a new ZL1 on VIR's South Bend I was sketched-out doing that, but my instructor was still pushing
      03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #11224
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I figured with adding weights on the corners it might hold them down more? Don't know. I've gotta fill these holes so I figured I'd put weights in the hood while I was doing it. I did pick up used E92 M3 hood struts as well
Weight isn't a solution, it would take an immense amount to make a difference and even then, on bumps the momentum of the weight will be traveling UP, which is the opposite of what you want. The solution is to lock down the corners properly.

Quote:
A lot of recent threads on the issue have me crossing my fingers every time I pop the hood (an infrequent thing, obviously).

I've been wanting a proper suspension, with proper alignment and set-up (corner balanced, etc.) for a long time now. The Koni's were great to start with, but I feel like they're blocking me from advancing in both finesse and pace on the track and on the street (back roads). I still have to laugh at keeping up with an F430 and a new ZL1 on VIR's South Bend I was sketched-out doing that, but my instructor was still pushing
RRT is the place to go if you want any of that done. Hit me up if you decide to move forward, I have a good working relationship with the guys over there.
      03-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #11225
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Installed a custom carbon fiber steering wheel. I'm not usually one for expensive aesthetic mods, especially for the interior, but I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 2
Artdnj394.00
xQx902.50
      03-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #11226
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Sorry to keep you in suspense, but it'll probably be another month before we know. I'm still waiting for the hood to arrive - shipping by boat from the USA to Australia is slooow.

Edit: That said, I'm very tempted to install them on my steel hood first so I can perfect my installation process and see how well they work before I go potentially ruining a very expensive carbon fiber hood
That would be awesome, since I'd be considering them on my steel hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #11227
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
RRT is the place to go if you want any of that done. Hit me up if you decide to move forward, I have a good working relationship with the guys over there.
That's exactly where I intend to go; I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Matticus913474.50
      03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #11228
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I want air for suspension. But I really want some first hand data outta Low135 on track first.
With all the new auto level and performance type controllers i think air is my best option.

But I may need turbos first. Once seems to be making a different noise now.
Appreciate 1
low1352210.50
      03-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #11229
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I want air for suspension. But I really want some first hand data outta Low135 on track first.
With all the new auto level and performance type controllers i think air is my best option.

But I may need turbos first. Once seems to be making a different noise now.
Let it make noise long enough, and you'll be single turbo!
      03-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #11230
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Let it make noise long enough, and you'll be single turbo!
that's the goal
Appreciate 2
low1352210.50
      03-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #11231
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Yesterday I found my car was sporting a bunch of Index 7 injectors (it became apparent during the first dyno run) - so today it's getting a brand new set of index 12's.

Gotta love escalation of commitment.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #11232
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly where I intend to go; I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Maybe we can talk it through Sat
      03-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #11233
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
I hit a number last night. Getting close to that big 200k...
Attached Images

Rmtt8211.00
      03-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #11234
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I hit a number last night. Getting close to that big 200k...

Maybe I'm not that observant, but I just now noticed that you have a temp gauge in your cluster.

Did you install a new cluster setup to get that option?

Never understood why mine didn't come with one. Any car I ever owned always had either an oil temp or pressure gauge.

Thanks!
      03-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #11235
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Maybe I'm not that observant, but I just now noticed that you have a temp gauge in your cluster.

Never understood why mine didn't come with one. Any car I ever owned always had either an oil temp or pressure gauge.

Thanks!
No dipstick, either! Ultimate Driving Machine!!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #11236
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
I installed a 135i instrument cluster, hence the oil temp gauge. I also modified that gauge face to show to the standard 7.5k rpm, and not the 135i gauge's 8k rpm (it's odd that they put the higher tach on the turbo car). Quite a little project, and I still have an odd fault code (doing surgery with EEPROM's may have done that).

And you'll never get an oil pressure reading on these cars without adding an aftermarket sending unit yourself. The one that's there is just an idiot switch that triggers a SES light when the pressure drops past or exceeds a certain point.

rowsdower Oh how I want a dipstick...
Rmtt8211.00
Matticus913474.50
      03-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #11237
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
BMW has always been cheap with the gauges unless you buy the higher end models.
      03-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #11238
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I installed a 135i instrument cluster, hence the oil temp gauge. I also modified that gauge face to show to the standard 7.5k rpm, and not the 135i gauge's 8k rpm (it's odd that they put the higher tach on the turbo car). Quite a little project, and I still have an odd fault code (doing surgery with EEPROM's may have done that).

And you'll never get an oil pressure reading on these cars without adding an aftermarket sending unit yourself. The one that's there is just an idiot switch that triggers a SES light when the pressure drops past or exceeds a certain point.

rowsdower Oh how I want a dipstick...

Not sure if I want to go through a cluster swap giving the limited knowledge I have of these cars since I'm still learning. I have had the dash in a few of my Corvettes torn completely apart, rebuilt HUD's, etc...but that is a platform I am comfortable with.

I have seen mention of the P3 Vent Gauge and another called Ultra-Gauge. I may explore those options to see if they offer that feature as it looks to be a simpler install.
      03-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #11239
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure if I want to go through a cluster swap giving the limited knowledge I have of these cars since I'm still learning. I have had the dash in a few of my Corvettes torn completely apart, rebuilt HUD's, etc...but that is a platform I am comfortable with.

I have seen mention of the P3 Vent Gauge and another called Ultra-Gauge. I may explore those options to see if they offer that feature as it looks to be a simpler install.
I've heard great things about the P3 gauge. It's a very clean look, and it simply plugs into the OBD2 port. There are also a few sources that will clear a 1M or M3 cluster and code it to simply plug into your car. I chose the difficult, but inexpensive route...
Rmtt8211.00
      03-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #11240
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've heard great things about the P3 gauge. It's a very clean look, and it simply plugs into the OBD2 port. There are also a few sources that will clear a 1M or M3 cluster and code it to simply plug into your car. I chose the difficult, but inexpensive route...
Of course...same thing I would do if I were younger and more competent about trying it!

In the past I have blown/screwed up some pretty crazy stuff just trying things out. But I figure it's the best way to learn.

I will admit this car has been a bit of a learning curve for me...but I just attribute it to me being older and set in my ways!!! The bolt-on stuff is a no brainer. It's the other little details such as the retrofit you did that I haven't caught onto yet.

There are so many different ways to arrive at the same end point, just figuring out what is the most effective way of getting there while keeping cost down is the key. I mean I could pay someone to do the work for me, but what fun is that?

With most anything new I try to learn, it typically comes in an epiphany moment...and then I am good. I haven't experienced that yet with all the little intricacies of this car!
      03-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #11241
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Of course...same thing I would do if I were younger and more competent about trying it!

In the past I have blown/screwed up some pretty crazy stuff just trying things out. But I figure it's the best way to learn.

I will admit this car has been a bit of a learning curve for me...but I just attribute it to me being older and set in my ways!!! The bolt-on stuff is a no brainer. It's the other little details such as the retrofit you did that I haven't caught onto yet.

There are so many different ways to arrive at the same end point, just figuring out what is the most effective way of getting there while keeping cost down is the key. I mean I could pay someone to do the work for me, but what fun is that?

With most anything new I try to learn, it typically comes in an epiphany moment...and then I am good. I haven't experienced that yet with all the little intricacies of this car!
BMW's have their own quirks and features as our man Doug Demuro would say. (The special sauce is leaky valve cover gaskets) I go to help work on my dad's car, and it all makes very little sense to me (other than it's an inferior VW that's way faster than it has any right to be). It's a whole new language, a whole new platform. That's the cool thing about cars, each manufacturer has their own style that you have to learn and understand...
Rmtt8211.00
      03-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #11242
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I bought the UltraGauge for my car. Really simple to install: Just plug the cable into the OBD2 port. After that, I just set up my desired display parameters and stuck it to the lower part of my console with double stick tape.
Attached Images