BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

1M Coilover Questions

I am curious about coilovers and wondered if there were any experts out there.

my would be to retain the similar ride and handling but drop the front slightly. If there really was a company that tuned a coilover set for the 1m to make it handle better on street and track I would be open to that too. The KW at one point offered a variant 1 which was tuned by them and that sounds interesting if they really did have experts tuning them on the street and track. I would want a minimal drop. KW lists their drop range as .4 in min. That would be as much as I would want to drop. I want good all around handling close to what 1M has.

The other question is that I loved how the 1M got aluminum struts and dampers for weight but it looks like all the coilovers are steel, especially in the front. Anyone know what the weight difference is?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
Isaacata
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

HG is quite overpriced if you ask me. They're just going to recommend Ohlins Road and Track anyway. Really the most mainstream options are the KW V3 and Ohlins Road and Track, both of which I'm pretty sure were designed with the 1M in mind and not just copy-pasted from the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacata View Post
HG is quite overpriced if you ask me. They're just going to recommend Ohlins Road and Track anyway. Really the most mainstream options are the KW V3 and Ohlins Road and Track, both of which I'm pretty sure were designed with the 1M in mind and not just copy-pasted from the M3.
Thank you! Does the KW actually improve handling or allow for firm track setting? Also stock struts are aluminum . Kw at steel. Wonder how much heavier?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
Isaacata
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Thank you! Does the KW actually improve handling or allow for firm track setting? Also stock struts are aluminum . Kw at steel. Wonder how much heavier?
Can't answer those questions as i have no idea. Hit up HP Autowerks he frequents this forum he'll be able to give you better answers. GL
Appreciate 0