BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
grunyon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Headlight replacement question.

I scratched my driver's side headlight lens. Gonna buff it and such for now, but I was shopping around for a replacement and I'm confused about my options.

There are mid 100 dollar options out there, but they say non-adaptive and non-xenon. Did the 135i or even the 128i come with non adaptive headlights? I'm pretty sure they all did? Does this just mean I need to unscrew my control module at the bottom of the light and screw it back in to the new unit?

Also, what does the Xenon part mean? Is this the difference between my car which has sort of dim halos and the newer ones that have really bright halos?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

I'm in your same boat with a scratch. I know I have adaptive and xenon. I think all 135i had xenon, not sure about adaptive, but you can tell if you have it when you turn on your lights, they kind of go up and down at first on the garage wall. So I think you are in it for $700+

I'm still weighing my options, but it seems like unless your scratch is too deep, it can be repaired by sanding and polishing and putting on some UV clear coat. 3M has a kit to do just that:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headl...estoration+kit

Seems worth a try before spending a huge amount for a new light.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
grunyon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Yeah. Well. What I did was I let my drill rub up against the headlight plastic while I was installing my intercooler. So now I have a dimple in the lower edge. Nobody notices it, but it kind of annoys me knowing it's there.

Maybe I can still polish it clear
Appreciate 0