BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Mehta916
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

European Delivery and "Special Car Options"

Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I'm really curious to know if this is a possibility. Say I were to get a 135i with a few of the option and what not , but I also want my car to be right hand drive; is it possible for the factory to swap the monocoque (shell) with a edm one along with the dashboard? As far a DOT regulations go its still just as safe and the car would have the US spec engine. The reason I'm wondering is Ive seen plenty of fully registered Hondas/Nissans here in the states that are right hand drive/jdm vehicles.

Cliffs:
RHD drive vehicle that would be built by the factory for the US and is registerable.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I think you are asking if you can get a non-U.S. spec car as part of the European delivery program. If so, I'm thinking the answer would be no. You are still ordering the car in the U.S. from a U.S. dealer.

In general, they won't do one-offs to the degree you mention. Heck, we don't even get the Individual program here in the states and that is just mostly colors and the like!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Mehta916
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I see, thanks for the response. When I asked my local rep at the dealer ship, he told me anything was possible with ED, I knew something was up so i asked here to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

All ED cars are ordered off of the US ordering menu. It's likely due to getting cars certified for sale in the US, which a one-off car could fall outside of what is allowed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta916 View Post
I see, thanks for the response. When I asked my local rep at the dealer ship, he told me anything was possible with ED, ...
I wish that was true. When I considered ED I wanted the euro cloth/leather combo seats and LeMans Blue. No dice.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
I wish that was true. When I considered ED I wanted the euro cloth/leather combo seats and LeMans Blue. No dice.
I'm still considering the Euro-only cloth/leather combo, or at least the cloth covers - and am prepared to simply buy it from the Parts department in the Munich dealership. I know it will come close to $2k, but I want a cloth seating surface under my butt...

(and of course LeMans Blue is available now to order)

I think if you have sufficient connections up the BMWNA foodchain, you can get anything done - Individual colors/interiors etc. But it will cost an arm and a leg ($5k for non-standard color, for instance).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

If you really wanted the car, you might be able to order it in a different country and then import it. I would think this would make the car pretty expensive though.