BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #23
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
98 is not risky at all on our cars as long as your not running to lean and the ecu will take care of the rest with the current tuning capabilities

Tuning in 2011 is not the same as now, its come a long way

Meth is not safe and neither is e85 in the current way its integrated and running on our cars, the only way e85 can be safe if its di only.

Just because you had no issues dont think you are safe from a di shutdown

If you get a di shutdown and you melt a piston from a hyperlean because meth and/or e85 is still flowing you will wished you listen

But its your call if you think the gains are worth the risk, at the end of the day its your money.
98 was less risky back in the day than it is now cause we all use to run stock timing tables and we were running rich with a few JB4 tweaks of course but you wouldn't know as it was before you had your 135i. Now people are pushing much harder on just 98 and running anywhere up to 10 degrees of timing and bigger boost.

Running both meth and E85 was piss easy for me but each to their own. I don't run PI. Just E60-E70 on a stage 2 pump. Safety doesn't happen by accident. Running "MY" car this way was safer than running on straight 98 (with obvious tune adjustments).

I listen to my inner self Marty and it's proved to have paid off. Luck.....Nah.....

Just like you I've launched both my 135 and 335 down the quarter 100's of times, many Wakefield days and lots of roll racing at EC. Just cause I know what I'm doing doesn't mean most on here do.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #24
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

out of curiosity what does a stock 1m make at the wheels power wise?

what would you get if you did intercooler and off the shelf tune?

how much extra could you get approx if you did custom tune rather than off shelf?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #25
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post
98 was less risky back in the day than it is now cause we all use to run stock timing tables and we were running rich with a few JB4 tweaks of course but you wouldn't know as it was before you had your 135i. Now people are pushing much harder on just 98 and running anywhere up to 10 degrees of timing and bigger boost.

Running both meth and E85 was piss easy for me but each to their own. I don't run PI. Just E60-E70 on a stage 2 pump. Safety doesn't happen by accident. Running "MY" car this way was safer than running on straight 98 (with obvious tune adjustments).

I listen to my inner self Marty and it's proved to have paid off. Luck.....Nah.....

Just like you I've launched both my 135 and 335 down the quarter 100's of times, many Wakefield days and lots of roll racing at EC. Just cause I know what I'm doing doesn't mean most on here do.
Why do you think terry stopped recommending running e85 and meth ?

You can say what you like you have been lucky, tuning and knowing what
your doing helps but doesn't make you bullet proof from a di shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
out of curiosity what does a stock 1m make at the wheels power wise?

what would you get if you did intercooler and off the shelf tune?

how much extra could you get approx if you did custom tune rather than off shelf?
Stock is around 250 rwk, with tune 280 to 290 with custom tailored tune to your car mid 290 to 298 rwk

Custom tune will be a lot safer for your car than a generic tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #26
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Why do you think terry stopped recommending running e85 and meth ?

You can say what you like you have been lucky, tuning and knowing what
your doing helps but doesn't make you bullet proof from a di shut down.
Because people weren't logging and didn't know WTF they were doing. I knew exactly what my motor was happy with and was able to extract maximum power while keeping a solid timing curve, very low IAT's and a balance of fuel and boost. Although that's just part of the equation. I don't think I ever did WOT runs without dissecting my logs. ME LOVE LOGS!!!

I don't consider myself lucky Martin. On my setup I was bullet proof from any kind of DI shutdown. I know you'll struggle with that last comment. I was DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 01:39 AM   #27
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

The only person struggling with the understanding might be you.

As far as my understanding Terry, Motive, VTT don't run meth because its unnecessary, there is much cheaper
and safer ways to supress iat's without using it and certainly not necessary as an octane booster anymore.

The simpler the fuelling system the better as long as it can meet the needs of the motor.

Meth is useless and unsafe in the way its implemented on our cars

With the current intercoolers available the same iat suppression can be achieved without using chemical cooling.

Once they improve the safety of pi or syvecs finally gets released to control the fuelling the only limitations will
be the strength of the hardware.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:37 AM   #28
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

I struggle with why anyone would even bother with octane booster and not just slurp race fuel in. Peter clearly isn't at Advan and obviously enjoying the Kiwi landscape as he had very strong views on how shit this is for your engine long term.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #29
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Your not always going to get a fresh batch of 98 so either add 7 litres of e85 or octane booster which everone is handy

The pro strength nulon stuff actually works with no side effects as i tested it on the dyno and seen the gains with my own eyes

I was a big skeptic of the stuff too
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #30
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Marty is this the DV you are talking about?

http://topgearsolutions.com/turbosma...free-shipping/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #31
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

these are the ones you want, these are have adjustable spring pressure.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...t-KIT-BMW.html

the other ones you listed don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #32
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Your not always going to get a fresh batch of 98 so either add 7 litres of e85 or octane booster which everone is handy

The pro strength nulon stuff actually works with no side effects as i tested it on the dyno and seen the gains with my own eyes

I was a big skeptic of the stuff too
Octane booster used to kill plugs, dunno about these days but I'm assuming the main ingredient in the booster is still methyl benzene.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #33
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

my experience has been positive with the stock DVs, have lasted > 2000 WOT runs and still going. probably ~1000 of those at 18 - 19psi. so you could consider saving some money their and replace when necessary as a few other things likely to go first.

martymil also mentioned charge pipe and clutch, those did not last long at all. i actually forgot about it because they failed so early. charge pipe blew apart at moderate boost first 6 months of tracking, clutch starting slipping before i even hit the track and there was hardly any wear on the clutch when i pulled it. the pressure plate is too weak. i never bothered but if you didn't want to do mod after mod straight away you could baby the stock clutch a little with linear throttle mapping and not so aggressive low down / mid-range. the stock turbo's can produce sh8t piles of torque very rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #34
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Its not just about hitting the desired psi level, its about a lot more than that

The problem with running higher boost you need to have the dv set correctly and if they don't react quick enough you will get compressor surge.

The only way to see if this happens is log your wot and gear changes when racing

When your dv leak you still could/will meet your desired boost target but your severly diminishing the life of your turbos
because your over spooling them

But you could be running your turbos at a much lower duty cycle and they will last a lot longer if you have your dv's set up correctly.

Last edited by martymil; 08-14-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0