01-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #45
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4F82,Akra/Eventuri/Stage2Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Alright, just to clear some confusion and set some things straight. I'm pretty well-versed with the iDrive system and snap-in adapters.

There are other BMW Apps available besides BMW Connected. Have you tried Pandora or MOG? These are both great on-demand music services. Personally, I use Pandora all the time. The in-car integration is great.

The (media) cradle will do the following:
1. Enable video to be sent to the navigation screen. This is through one of two ways:
a.) Apple's native user interface iPodOut which can be accessed through the PlugIn menu in either CD/Multimedia or BMW Connected contexts
b.) Video playback from your iPhone / iPod. If you are parked and have the hand-break on, you can watch videos on your navigation screen. There are work-arounds to watch video while driving, but I would not recommend doing it.

2. Boost your antenna signal

To get video playback, you do the following:
1. Go to CD / Multimedia
2. Choose External Devices
3. You should see your device listed (iPhone name), and a button called PlugIn at the bottom of the screen

OR

1. Go to BMW Connected menu
2. Go all the way to the bottom
3. PlugIn should be listed after BMW Apps

I hope all this helps, guys. For any further BMW Apps or snap-in adapter questions - feel free to ask me.
Have tried all the above!

I have an iphone 4s with the media snap in adapter and when i try the self diagnosis tool through the BMW connected app with the phone snapped in, it states connection to the vehicle failed.

Have tried with and without ipod installed with yconnector and also tried my daughters iphone 4 with the same result

Anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
KentConcept
Rep
Drives: BMW Serie 1 F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Alright, just to clear some confusion and set some things straight. I'm pretty well-versed with the iDrive system and snap-in adapters.

There are other BMW Apps available besides BMW Connected. Have you tried Pandora or MOG? These are both great on-demand music services. Personally, I use Pandora all the time. The in-car integration is great.

The (media) cradle will do the following:
1. Enable video to be sent to the navigation screen. This is through one of two ways:
a.) Apple's native user interface iPodOut which can be accessed through the PlugIn menu in either CD/Multimedia or BMW Connected contexts
b.) Video playback from your iPhone / iPod. If you are parked and have the hand-break on, you can watch videos on your navigation screen. There are work-arounds to watch video while driving, but I would not recommend doing it.

2. Boost your antenna signal

1. Go to CD / Multimedia
3. You should see your device listed (iPhone name), and a button called PlugIn at the bottom of the screen

OR

3. PlugIn should be listed after BMW Apps

I hope all this helps, guys. For any further BMW Apps or snap-in adapter questions - feel free to ask me.

einserM this procedure is valid on the BMW Radio Professional 6,5" Control Display?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #47
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe VO

Emack, have you tried either Pandora or MOG besides BMW Connected. Also, all apps need to be up to date at all times. There are a lot of changes that Apple pushes out every few weeks and the apps need to be updates to accommodate for them.

Also, have you tried connecting with the white Apple iPhone cable that came with your phone?
      01-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe VO

KentConcept - to be honest, I don't know. Try it and let me know.
      01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #49
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks einser,

Cant use pandora or mog in Oz, but can use rhapsody and it works in bluetooth mode.

Re your list of things to do:

1. Go to CD / Multimedia
3. You should see your device listed (iPhone name), and a button called PlugIn at the bottom of the screen See the device listed but I don't see this PlugIn option

OR

3. PlugIn should be listed after BMW Apps I dont see this option

When snapped in, when I go to videos on the iphone, I cannot access anything as it states "accessory connected".

Thanks again.

Last edited by emack; 01-05-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #50
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

sorry.............bump
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

@emack
Sounds like a faulty adapter, same happened to mine, so took it back to dealer and tried a new one and it worked straight way. Have heard there are a few faulty ones about.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #52
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks Jezzer, will contact the dealer and try a new one!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #53
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Thanks Jezzer, will contact the dealer and try a new one!!!!!
can you keep me posted on whether it was a faulty adapter or whether Australian spec cars can't access this feature.

P.S. I'm assuming you selected the "extended connectivity of the mobile device" option? when you purchased your car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #54
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Thanks einser,

Cant use pandora or mog in Oz, but can use rhapsody and it works in bluetooth mode.

Re your list of things to do:

1. Go to CD / Multimedia
3. You should see your device listed (iPhone name), and a button called PlugIn at the bottom of the screen See the device listed but I don't see this PlugIn option

OR

3. PlugIn should be listed after BMW Apps I dont see this option

When snapped in, when I go to videos on the iphone, I cannot access anything as it states "accessory connected".

Thanks again.
Not to state the obvious but according to BMW the media cradle will only work with the following prerequisites:

"Only applicable to vehicles produced after 9/2010 and equipped with either Smart Phone Integration (option code 6NF) or BMW APPS (option code 6NR). BMW APPS is compatible only with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S."

The assumption is that you have one of those options included with your car when you purchased it.

I installed the media cradle today and have successfully used it with my iPhone 4S. Everything including video works as previously described by einserM and other forum members.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #55
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Hi, I purchased the Media Snap in adapter referenced earlier in this thread.

I can see my phone under "Plugins", and I can watch videos... However, I cannot use the BMW connected applications (The app launches and just goes to a "connecting..." screen repeatedly. Going to BMW Apps/Connect from the iDrive menu just says Connecting (or something along those lines) but never works.

Lastly, it looks like the adapter isn't made for this car... Or I didn't install it right. Although there doesn't seem to be another way of installing it? Do your adapters look like this:

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
CH1M
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Mine looks the same. Sits a little higher at the end where the word MEDIA is.

It should slot in at the release end and then sit straight down on the contact points and click into place.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #57
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Can just say that mine don't work either! Its the same one as in the picture. The iPhone is not loading in the doc and no connectivity. BT connectivity works outside the dock.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #58
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I think this adapter must be the wrong one for our cars.

Here's my reasoning:

1) It doesn't seem to fit properly... I can't see why BMW would spend so much time getting everything perfect in your vehicle, only to make the snap in adapter look half assed. In my opinion, it should sit flush.

2) While my iPhone phone and iPod features work properly, BMW Apps fails to load, every time. I managed to get the apps to load only with my original Apple cable plugged into the USB slot. It NEVER works while in the snap in adapter.

I purchased mine online from a BMW dealership, via eBay... I wonder if my local dealer will exchange it? (I'm guessing not)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #59
KentConcept
Rep
Drives: BMW Serie 1 F20

Hi guys! Video playback from iPhone 4S which video format file support? If i have a .avi file it can be reproduced?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I have now tested two media adapters in my car. They don't fit perfect. It flex in the back and as seen in the pictures posted by CJ its not aligned. Like 3-5 mm sticking up. I have tested to push the back of the adapter down and then it connects. Works for while and then all of a sudden stops working again. Its like the media adapter is not connected good enough and really "clicking in". Its like I say flexing in the back. The finish feels crappy in general. Funny as the adapter is very expensive... When it works the fan is pretty loud.

I would say this is a construction issue. Would love to hear input from all people that have it working fine how the fit is in their cars? If you can post a picture. I have had three different levels of "connectivity". 1: nothing at all. Not even loading the battery. 2: loading the battery but not connecting with apps. 3. Everything works including apps.

Another really crappy fact is that BMW Apps application in the iPhone is not written to work in the background. Se even if you have started it you still need to actively go into the app again to make it connect. That is very uncomfortable if you have a pin lock on our mobile. (which is usually corporate enforced policies for most corporate email systems). BMW could easily fix this by updating the BMW apps "app" on intones to work as a background app much like Spotify, Navigon etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #61
NC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I have now tested two media adapters in my car. They don't fit perfect. It flex in the back and as seen in the pictures posted by CJ its not aligned. Like 3-5 mm sticking up. I have tested to push the back of the adapter down and then it connects. Works for while and then all of a sudden stops working again. Its like the media adapter is not connected good enough and really "clicking in". Its like I say flexing in the back. The finish feels crappy in general. Funny as the adapter is very expensive... When it works the fan is pretty loud.

I would say this is a construction issue. Would love to hear input from all people that have it working fine how the fit is in their cars? If you can post a picture. I have had three different levels of "connectivity". 1: nothing at all. Not even loading the battery. 2: loading the battery but not connecting with apps. 3. Everything works including apps.

Another really crappy fact is that BMW Apps application in the iPhone is not written to work in the background. Se even if you have started it you still need to actively go into the app again to make it connect. That is very uncomfortable if you have a pin lock on our mobile. (which is usually corporate enforced policies for most corporate email systems). BMW could easily fix this by updating the BMW apps "app" on intones to work as a background app much like Spotify, Navigon etc.
I have not had any issues with the adapter and my iPhone 4S. It seems to click in just fine. One thing I did notice - although I don't think it matters - is that while the part numbers for your adapter and the one I have are the same the small number beginning with the letter P is different, (P11001302034 versus P11001370276).

Last edited by NC; 01-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Image links not working
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #62
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
While my adapter works, I too am a bit puzzled that the fit and finish is not ideal. It sticks out a bit, fan is extremely loud, and overheats like a mofo. Dealer says it's normal, so I guess it is...

One thing I noticed: If you leave an AUX cable plugged in, it will overwrite the sound source. I had a passenger that wanted to play some tunes through his phone and we used the AUX cable, which I left plugged in after he left. I lost Audio for the BMW Apps Web Radio. At first I thought the adapter crapped out, but luckily I found the issue - disconnected the cable and vola - all back to normal.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #63
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

NC is your adapter aligned more vs the edge in the back? It looks like the adapter is not "sticking up" as much in your picture? The ones I tested in my car do click in but that is the front and middle under. The back don't really get tucked down really good in the back. And as I say if I push the media adapter down it usually connects again when its not connecting. Much like its not really "down" enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #64
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

BTW. Next week I will go to BMW to check this out. I will fix my carbon performance spoiler at BMW and will at the same time talk to their local "BMW Apps" expert. There is something wrong with the adapters and the 1M! Anyone heard anything from the other 1-series owners about issues? Any logged issues in the BMW DB?

Also wondering if the 4s vs 4 has any impact at all? Would guess no as its seems its the media adapter that is not conneced well enough. For you that it works do you have the iPhone 4 or the 4s? (i have had issues with my active TomTom cardholder with the 4s. Its not loading at all)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #65
NC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
NC is your adapter aligned more vs the edge in the back? It looks like the adapter is not "sticking up" as much in your picture? The ones I tested in my car do click in but that is the front and middle under. The back don't really get tucked down really good in the back. And as I say if I push the media adapter down it usually connects again when its not connecting. Much like its not really "down" enough.
From the picture it is hard to tell but it does stick up or is higher than the "well" in which it sits in the back. When I snap it in I insert the front part first and then lower the back of the adapter to the connector and it snaps right in.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #66
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

NC: Yes I do it in the same way. Actually had one on the BMW guys do it also to show e how they do it. Same way and same issue. ;-) And it sticks up. Funny that your works. Is it always working? No issues at all?
Appreciate 0