BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #221
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Is anyone else concerned that this car, if made, will not be imported to the US (like M3 CSL)?
      10-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #222
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniM View Post
if someone have the VIN number of the Tii I'll give you what engine is under the bonnet
In many cases manufacturer special build cars, which the concept tii most likely is, don't have VINs because they are not production run vehicles and will never be sold. It's the crusher for them.
      10-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #223
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Is anyone else concerned that this car, if made, will not be imported to the US (like M3 CSL)?

The 1 series coupe was designed to be a US car, so why would the Tii concept of that car not be American bound..?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #224
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
The 1 series coupe was designed to be a US car, so why would the Tii concept of that car not be American bound..?
For the same reason we don't get most of the low volume specialty models. The cost to certify a low volume vehicle in this country is prohibitive for BMW.:frown:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #225
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
For the same reason we don't get most of the low volume specialty models. The cost to certify a low volume vehicle in this country is prohibitive for BMW.:frown:

But the concept dialouge suggests the car existance is to build excitement for the Motorsporting in the 1 series markets. Of which the United States is their biggest market..!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #226
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW 1 Series tii Concept Road & Track

BMW 1 Series tii Concept

BMW has developed a tii concept version of its new 1 Series coupe.

By Matt DeLorenzo Photos by John Lamm

October 2007

Drawing on the heritage of the legendary 2002tii sport coupe, BMW has developed a tii concept version of its new 1 Series coupe.

Painted Alpine white, the tii has been lightened through the use of unpainted carbon-reinforced plastic, which gives a matte-black appearance to the hood, outside mirror caps and the Gurney flap extension of the rear decklid-integrated spoiler.

A third color, blue, is used on the brake calipers, shift knob for the manual gearbox, one of the five lugnuts on each wheel and the towing fixture on the front air dam.

The front of the concept sports the traditional grille, but substitutes a black honeycomb grid for the standard chrome trim bars. The lower front fascia is opened wide for additional cooling, and the rocker panels likewise function as scoops directing air to the rear brakes.

Inside, the tii is fitted with sport bucket seats and a white-faced tachometer, which contrasts with the black-faced speedometer. The interior is done in anthracite trim and dark Alcantara and leather seating surfaces. At this point, it appears that the tii is primarily a styling statement, as BMW was mum on any upgrades to the 1 Series' 3.0-liter inline-6, as well as any tweaks to the suspension, wheels, tires or brakes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #227
LH1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x

I can't believe how much I like this thing. Especially that rear end.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #228
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
But the concept dialouge suggests the car existance is to build excitement for the Motorsporting in the 1 series markets. Of which the United States is their biggest market..!

The problem is, is that you're being logical. I completely agree with you, but BMW NA seems to make goofy decisions. They won't bring all sorts of neat product to the U.S. The M-Sport Package is a good example.

Leif W.

P.S. Man I hope they make/bring the tii to the U.S. This is exactly the sort of BMW I was hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #229
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
BMW 1 Series tii Concept

BMW has developed a tii concept version of its new 1 Series coupe.

By Matt DeLorenzo Photos by John Lamm

October 2007

Drawing on the heritage of the legendary 2002tii sport coupe, BMW has developed a tii concept version of its new 1 Series coupe.

Painted Alpine white, the tii has been lightened through the use of unpainted carbon-reinforced plastic, which gives a matte-black appearance to the hood, outside mirror caps and the Gurney flap extension of the rear decklid-integrated spoiler.

A third color, blue, is used on the brake calipers, shift knob for the manual gearbox, one of the five lugnuts on each wheel and the towing fixture on the front air dam.

The front of the concept sports the traditional grille, but substitutes a black honeycomb grid for the standard chrome trim bars. The lower front fascia is opened wide for additional cooling, and the rocker panels likewise function as scoops directing air to the rear brakes.

Inside, the tii is fitted with sport bucket seats and a white-faced tachometer, which contrasts with the black-faced speedometer. The interior is done in anthracite trim and dark Alcantara and leather seating surfaces. At this point, it appears that the tii is primarily a styling statement, as BMW was mum on any upgrades to the 1 Series' 3.0-liter inline-6, as well as any tweaks to the suspension, wheels, tires or brakes.

Hey, it looks like someone mixed in an engine picture from a red 135 with the tii shots.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #230
LH1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
Man I hope they make/bring the tii to the U.S. This is exactly the sort of BMW I was hoping for.
Me too, but I'm putting it out of mind. I have no faith we'll ever see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #231
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

Quote:
Hey, it looks like someone mixed in an engine picture from a red 135 with the tii shots.

Leif W.
i was about to say that looks just like the N54 motor
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #232
eimr02
Registered
Rep
Drives:

While they have left some of the best cars and options in Europe, this car sounds very similar in intent as my MINI Cooper S with JCW GP lightweight package. No one expected BMW to import that either, but they brought over 415 of the 2000. They don't want a repeat of the 318ti in the US, so I am pretty sure they will bring all the good stuff over here. I love my MINI but miss RWD in my daily driver, and will buy this in a second if it comes here. Not giving up the MINI, but the 318ti may have to go, or I need more garage space.

Erik Rutberg
2007 550i Sport
2006 MINI Cooper S, JCW GP
2004 325xiT (wife's car)
1997 318ti/Dinan3, supercharged
1988 ///M5
1985 735iA (awaiting restore, my dad bought new, 363,000miles)
1973 2002
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #233
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

^^^ somebody likes what BMW corp makes
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #234
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

every night i pray that bmw makes the tii and brings it to the us.

never has a car ever gotten me this excited.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #235
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

What's Edmunds' take? BMW Concept 1 Series tii

BMW Concept 1 Series tii

What is it?
BMW Concept 1 Series tii

What's special about it?
Consider the BMW Concept 1 Series tii an early look at what a 135i CSL might look like. It's been lightened up and smoothed out on the outside, and then complemented by an interior that's more focused on the driver. There are no mechanical upgrades, but the standard BMW 135i already has 300 horses. More power is not what it needs.

Most of the changes are minor; it's the idea that's important here. Pare down the weight, improve the high-speed aerodynamics and make sure the driver can take it all in. A similar formula was introduced 30 years ago with the BMW 2002 tii coupe, a car that's still revered for its influence on BMW's products.

There was no carbon fiber when the 2002 tii was introduced, but this 1 Series has it all over, from the hood up front to the mirror covers on each side to the Gurney flap in back. There are a few additional pieces on the rear fascia and front air vents, too. BMW doesn't say how much weight has been saved, only that it's a significant amount.

Improving the aerodynamics up front requires a new fascia, and the twin-kidney grille has been covered up so that it no longer acts as the main air intake. Instead, this 1 Series breathes in through the honeycomb grille below the bumper and big intakes at each corner. More massaging has been done to the rocker sills, while the rear fascia gets an aero diffuser that BMW says reduces air turbulence and improves downforce over the rear wheels. It also happens to look cool.

Most of the interior changes are purely cosmetic. There are some body-color trim pieces on the doors, artificial suede on the steering wheel and unique seat stitching. More suede is used around the gauge cluster to reduce glare, and the tachometer gets a white face with red numbers. And just to make sure everybody knows who's in charge, the driver gets special blue stitching on his seat along with a similarly colored seatbelt.

What's Edmunds' take?
BMW didn't say if a production 135tii is in the works just yet. It still has to make sure the introduction of the standard model goes off without a hitch next spring. Judging by the enthusiasm the 1 Series has generated already, BMW's biggest problem could be keeping up with demand. Adding a 135tii to the mix wouldn't help that situation, but it would make us very, very happy. — Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor

2007 Tokyo Auto Show Video - BMW Concept 1 Series tii

That hood isn't black just because of the paint; it's one of the many carbon-fiber parts used on the Concept 1 Series tii to shave weight from the production model.
Photo courtesy of BMW North America, Inc.

Dark chrome 18-inch wheels are unique to this concept.

The 1 Series coupe may be small, but it packs great proportions into a very tight package.

Keep this in mind: The standard 135i is lighter than the ridiculously fast 335i Coupe. The 1 Series tii concept is even lighter than a 135i. In other words, it's as fast as it looks.

Revised front fascia gets carbon-fiber inserts at each corner; hood slats are said to help with high-speed stability.

The Gurney flap is not only wider than the standard spoiler; it's also made of carbon fiber.

Well, no one will ever accuse BMW of not knowing how to fill the wheelwells of a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #236
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
OK, I've now seen two different references to a CF roof on the tii and it simply doesn't appear to be so. Can someone who has actually seen this car confirm/deny this?

Thanks

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #237
godless
Rep
Drives:

i prefer the front fascia on the standard 135i. i can also do without the stripes. all for the weight reduction, however
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #238
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

Leif W.
I dont think they showed the engine bay of the actual tii concept, but I don't think there is much question as to what's under there. (Whether they tweaked it for more power is a good question though...I'm guessing no on that count but who knows.)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #239
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by murellus View Post
every night i pray that bmw makes the tii and brings it to the us.

never has a car ever gotten me this excited.
This car reminds me of when the first good pics of the E46 M3 surfaced. No question it was "the" BMW to have, as this one would be.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #240
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

BMW was mum on any upgrades to the 1 Series' 3.0-liter inline-6, as well as any tweaks to the suspension, wheels, tires or brakes. :mad:
      11-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #241
Tiisomeday
Rep
Drives:

Why Narrower tires at the rear???
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #242
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

anyone have a semi-educated opinion on what size rims are on this tii? 18s? 19s? TIA.
Appreciate 0