BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #45
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allencic View Post
Billup and Huecifer,

The more I think of you thinking it's OK to annoy those around you with your window open loud music the more depressed I get over your lack of simple common decency for those around you. I assume you think you're very cool with your loud music. You're not, you're simply rude. Did your family never teach you common manners and politeness? Did you go to a school system where the only thing that mattered was that you had great "self esteem" and didn't care for others?

Too many people think that BMW drivers are basically self-centered jerks. Too bad that you and your loud music are helping them remove all doubt.

If you have no manners or decency I doubt that you learned the word, "solipsism in school. If you must, look it up before you crank up the thumpa, thumpa bass again.
Allencic,

Come on man...really? This is juvenile. I suggest everybody in this "debate" taking a look in the mirror and figure out what is really upsetting them today. I think if you dig deep enough you will see it has nothing to do with HiFi....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #46
SeCsTaC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
I bought my '09 used. It claimed to have the premium sound package and a VIN lookup shows "S677A HiFi System Professional DSP". Is that the base or upgraded system?

In any case, I find the system to be good, but I've never owned a car with an actually good sound system before.
You have the upgraded system then. Lucky you

Unfortunately BMWFS cited an unsufficient credit history as the reason they denied me so no 135i for me . It's kind of weird though I've had a credit card since I was 17 and also have student loans that are 3 years old. Always paid on time. Oh well

At first I was bummed but it just gives me time to save up some more and find the car I truly want.

I want a 09+ 335i Coupe with M Sport and Nav in 6MT with Harmon Kardon. It also has to be black/red or white/red. That's going to be super hard but good things come to those that wait i suppose.

With that said, I would settle for the HiFi system if I found the car with everything else on my check list. HiFi really isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #47
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Billup and Huecifer,

The more I think of you thinking it's OK to annoy those around you with your window open loud music the more depressed I get over your lack of simple common decency for those around you. I assume you think you're very cool with your loud music. You're not, you're simply rude. Did your family never teach you common manners and politeness? Did you go to a school system where the only thing that mattered was that you had great "self esteem" and didn't care for others?

Too many people think that BMW drivers are basically self-centered jerks. Too bad that you and your loud music are helping them remove all doubt.

If you have no manners or decency I doubt that you learned the word, "solipsism in school. If you must, look it up before you crank up the thumpa, thumpa bass again.
Wait wait wait. I'm self centered, but you can't handle hearing music from someone else's car at a stoplight for 30 seconds? Why, because it offends your amazing musical sensibilities? Because you think other people don't like it? Because most sane people don't care, really. Take a chill pill and get off your weird high horse about this. Me listening to music has nothing to do with you. You might think that's solipsistic, but I kind of think someone demanding I listen to my music in a way that pleases him is even more solipsistic. There are other people in the world besides you, buddy. You're never going to convince them to act the way you want them to. Also, who's being more of a jerk on this thread? Me and Billup, or you?

EDIT: And to bring it back on topic a little, the base stereo in the 1-series is so bad that it's not even really possible to get it loud enough to bother someone next to you. It's really, really, not loud, haha. To put it in perspective, I routinely have the volume in the car up all the way...as high as it can go, and that's with the windows up. In my old car, I could only stand about 50% up the dial.

Last edited by Huecifer; 03-22-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #48
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Not surprisingly, you missed the whole point. There are other people in the world and you might think of them by being polite and not blasting your music for even a little while. That's what solipsism is all about, you think you are the only person in the world and the world revolves around you.

You may think others are thinking of you and you hope they think you're cool. The truth is they're not thinking of you at all. All they see and hear is someone who doesn't car about others and basically says to others sensibilities, "Screw you." In other words, a solipsist.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #49
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
Wait wait wait. I'm self centered, but you can't handle hearing music from someone else's car at a stoplight for 30 seconds? Why, because it offends your amazing musical sensibilities? Because you think other people don't like it? Because most sane people don't care, really.
Wrong. Most sane people do care, on both ends of the equation.

"At a stoplight" isn't the problem. I sit in my living room and the aXXholes drive up my street, windows down, radio blasting. Don't tell me a guy who'd do it at a stoplight won't do that.

So, I'm sitting in my living room and someone goes by doing that. Look at the window, it's a BMW. What would I think other than, "another aXXhole driving a BMW, thinking that he's more important than everyone else."

Yes, it's a noisy world out there. That's not a reason for sXXXXXX more noise on it. More like an excuse for bad behavior.

Don't get me started on loud aftermarket exhausts. Two wheels or four.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #50
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Not surprisingly, you missed the whole point. There are other people in the world and you might think of them by being polite and not blasting your music for even a little while. That's what solipsism is all about, you think you are the only person in the world and the world revolves around you.

You may think others are thinking of you and you hope they think you're cool. The truth is they're not thinking of you at all. All they see and hear is someone who doesn't car about others and basically says to others sensibilities, "Screw you." In other words, a solipsist.
Wrong. I listen to my music loud because I enjoy listening to my music loud. Just like you don't enjoy listening to your music loud. That's your right. And mine. I don't do it because I want YOU to think I'm cool, or to offend YOU. I do it because that's how I like to listen to my music. You thinking that I'm doing anything in my car because of YOU is also self-centered. I'm not doing anything in my car because of you, except avoiding you on the road.

I do agree with you that there is a perception that BMW drivers are a-holes. The perception is there because it's true:
"I don't like loud music, so neither should you!"
"You doing something that's completely within your rights to do is bothering me, so what you're doing is wrong and you are bad/stupid/whatever for doing it!"
"I'm going to insult your intelligence and use big words because you disagree with me! Everyone look how smart I am!"

There are too many arrogant people driving BMWs, and posting in BMW forums. So yes, you're totally right about that perception.

So maybe the moral of the story, OP, is that you shouldn't get the upgraded stereo, because you might accidentally bother someone for 25 seconds at a stoplight or for 10 seconds while you drive by their house. And for doing that, you are stupid, and bad, and wrong.

I miss forums where people are supportive and not judgmental. Too many rich old white dudes with really tough lives on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #51
nunka
perpetually salty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW 6MT 128i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
"You doing something that's completely within your rights to do is bothering me, so what you're doing is wrong and you are bad/stupid/whatever for doing it!"
Going to be a bit pedantic here... technically, this may not actually be within your rights, depending on your city/state/area. Loud stereo music is often classified as public disturbance. For the sake of example, Pittsburgh's code states the following:

"(e)
Amplified noise from vehicles or handheld devices.
(1)
No person shall transmit noise from a vehicle being operated on a public street, or alley, or in commercial or residential parking facilities, by playing any radio, tape player, compact disc player, loudspeaker, or other electronic device used for the amplification of music or other entertainment, which is plainly audible to an officer at a distance of 75 feet from the source of the noise."

Putting any and all personal attacks aside, playing loud music affects the people around you, whether you think it does or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Wrong. Most sane people do care, on both ends of the equation.

"At a stoplight" isn't the problem. I sit in my living room and the aXXholes drive up my street, windows down, radio blasting. Don't tell me a guy who'd do it at a stoplight won't do that.

So, I'm sitting in my living room and someone goes by doing that. Look at the window, it's a BMW. What would I think other than, "another aXXhole driving a BMW, thinking that he's more important than everyone else."

Yes, it's a noisy world out there. That's not a reason for sXXXXXX more noise on it. More like an excuse for bad behavior.

Don't get me started on loud aftermarket exhausts. Two wheels or four.
You hit a sore spot with me. I have the dictionary/perfect example of the ahole driver you have referenced living in my neighborhood. This punk kid who lives with his grandmother drives a riced out xB. He loves to blast his stereo and rev his mighty 4 banger so everyone in the neighborhood can hear him coming and going. The jerk is so inconsiderate where even with my windows closed in my house, I can clearly hear what music he is playing (with his windows rolled up) and his fart cannon from about 100 yards away. I don't know how the neighbors that actually live next door to this punk can even stand it.

I've contemplated taking my bike with an unrestricted exhaust, sit in front of his house with the exhaust pipes pointed right at it, and then rev my engine. And before anyone say I'm also guilty of this, the difference is when I come and go from the neighborhood, I bog down the engine so not to disturb the neighbors too much.

I did get some satisfaction a few months ago where I saw this punk get pulled over by a cop. Don't know what the violation was but it gave me some satisfaction to see that happening.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #53
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation Stay on TOPIC!!

@Billup
@Suprgnat
@Huecifer
@128Convertibleguy
@zx10guy
@nunka
@Allencic
@the1andonly

^^all you guys have made your point. We are not hear to talk about how loud to play our music and whether the windows should be rolled up or not. Next guy to take this thread "off topic" will get an infraction.

The TOPIC is: Is the HiFi system that bad?

IF you have nothing to say about that. Don't post, just keep walking...

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #54
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The TOPIC is: Is the HiFi system that bad?
IMO, yes. It is that bad. It's the poorest quality sound system I've had in any car I've owned over the last 10 years or so.

But, it's a non-issue for me. I just listen to the engine
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #55
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

The thread below goes a very long way in explaining some of the differing opinions here. It appears that there is substantial variation in the equipment, particularly the speakers on different cars, and it may even be somewhat difficult to know exactly what you have. Some people have complained that the system won't play loudly. Mine will play, without noticeable distortion, as loud as I want, and louder than my wife will tolerate. Cranked up, it will play at levels that would damage your hearing in short order, with only minimal distortion.

The VIN decoder can help, the fact that I have upgraded speakers (including the tweeters in the doors) is no doubt related to my basic satisfaction with the sound.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746727

Here are my sound system codes.

Standard equipment:
S645A
BMW US Radio BMW US Radio
S663A
Radio BMW Professional Radio BMW Professional

Optional equipment (probably either for a convertible, or part of a package)

S676A
HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system

This thread is also good. Key statement, from musicar, who knows more than a thing or two:

"No, actually, you didn't - the US didn't get true "base audio" until 2010. You had the middle, Premium, HiFi system - a step below Logic 7, but still with a 6-channel amplifier, tweeters, and underseat 8" woofers.

The 2010 guys are complaining about no amp, no tweeters, and underseat 6" speakers running off of deck power. You'd complain too. "

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=bavsound

Bottom line. No tweeters in the door (which also means only the head unit driving 6 inch woofers)? Probably not good. Tweeters in the door (and therefore an amp driving 8 inch woofers)? Some people will find the system quite acceptable, some won't.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 03-27-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #56
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Even the HK system is poor and not worth $875. The base system in my wife's 2011 Buick Regal is much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #57
Brake_L8
Ambitious But Rubbish
Rep
Drives: '09 128i | '97 M3

I have the "S677A - HiFi with DSP" sound system in my '09 128 and really like it. I guess it's the Logic7 system, or some variant. Has the EQ accessible through iDrive and can be tweaked quite a bit for your taste. I want to customize the settings a bit more as some of the highs can get really bright for my taste, and I find myself losing the more nuanced lows unless I really have the volume cranked. Granted, I haven't sat and fiddled with it since I got the car.

In any case, my previous DD was a Focus ST with the Sony "premium audio" option... which was true garbage. The head unit would overwhelm the amp and it'd cut all low-end if you turned it up past about 1/3 volume. This Logic7 system is great by comparison - nice separation and goes loud enough to be enjoyed at highway speed with the windows/sunroof open.
Now: '09 128i/6 Sport/Premium/Cold Weather | '97 M3/4/5 #404 TTD

Then: '95 Miata | '91 535i | '96 328i | '95 325i | '13 Focus ST
Appreciate 0