BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

koni install fit and brake line route

All… I want to start by saying this is the biggest pain in the ass suspension swap I’ve ever done…

I finally got the new strut in and want to be sure brake line and brake line sensors are routed properly… please have a look

The brake sensor wire only seemed normal if i routed it in that loop…

Last thing, is it normal to have to load the suspension a bit to get the sway bar link in? I have the wheel/tire on the other side which may be the reason…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #2
Brandon_2011_135i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i, 2012 Audi A4

If you have one side unloaded, and the other side under weight, then absolutely the sway bar will fight you. What was difficult about the suspension swap? are you using stock springs? Update on the ride quality later when you're up and running. I am looking for new shocks at some point and not sure what I want yet, but I don't think I want to do coils and lower the car. Are these the STR.T shocks?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_2011_135i View Post
If you have one side unloaded, and the other side under weight, then absolutely the sway bar will fight you. What was difficult about the suspension swap? are you using stock springs? Update on the ride quality later when you're up and running. I am looking for new shocks at some point and not sure what I want yet, but I don't think I want to do coils and lower the car. Are these the STR.T shocks?
Well, the previous owner had tightened the shock tower studs until they spun… so I had to drill them out… took about 4hours of cursing, breaking drill bits etc. to get one side out. Granted all of this was made worse due to the m3 strut bar which pockets around the special nuts….

Then you realize with the relatively short springs on these cars the standard rental spring compressors will not compress the spring enough to relieve tension on the top hat safely….

Once you finally get it out, (made easier due to lack of studs) getting a stock length spring/shock back in is a bear. Only way I could see to do it was taking the caliper off to not stress/break the brake line. Even after that and having loosened pivots at the arms it was a struggle to get back into the car. Maybe someone knows a better way but I only ever saw tutorials getting shorter springs back in.

These are the str.t… happy to update when I get this whole thing back together.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 12:05 AM   #4
Donkeyshins
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i ZSP 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ88 View Post
Well, the previous owner had tightened the shock tower studs until they spun… so I had to drill them out… took about 4hours of cursing, breaking drill bits etc. to get one side out. Granted all of this was made worse due to the m3 strut bar which pockets around the special nuts….
Ugh...that *sucks*. It also sounds almost exactly like what I went through on Saturday helping my son with his E46 330Ci, although in this case, the overtightened shock tower studs were his fault (one broke, one spun, one came loose normally) - and yes, he was using the E46 M3 strut bar with the special nuts. Took us 5 hours to get the strut off the car (we only needed to replace the studs / hat on the driver's side).

I'm going to have to do my shocks at some point (sport suspension) - probably will keep the springs but go with Koni Sports. Thankfully I know my shock tower studs are tightened to spec and I've taken my calipers on and off enough times that I'm not worried about doing it again, although I may just replace the brake lines since the ones I have on the car now might very well be the originals from BMW.
Lemon Boston Sport Interior
Appreciate 1
BigZ8822.50
      11-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_2011_135i View Post
I’m loving how it rides with these shocks. This is a weekend fun car, not a race car so it’s like oem+ I think factory m sport springs and these shocks are a perfect match.
Appreciate 2