E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer refuses 1yr svc... Bmw NA no help

04-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #45
Mr.BMW
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW
I think you need to pick a new user name.

How do I change my screen name???
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #46
Mr.BMW
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Are you saying that your BMW computer is stating that your 1st
oil chance is due at 25k miles? You state you now have 15k miles, in one year, and your computer says another 10k to go.
So, I want to be sure that you bought the car new, and you've never had an oil change?

Now, as far as the dealer refusing to do the oil change;
every dealer is independently owned and NO they do not have to do any work they don't want to do, and BMW can NOT force them to do so. The warranty is with BMW not the dealer. Thus, BMW will honor their warranty as any manufacturer will, but the customer needs to find a dealer that is willing to work on the car. HOWEVER, that is dependent on whether or not the car is due for service.

It seems almost as if there are 2 stories, and questions here.
One, is that you were treated poorly and rudely by a SA at a BMW dealership. The 2nd question is whether or not you are due for an oil change according to BMW. If you are due, and thus, entitled to an oil change then BMW will pay for it, simply take it to another BMW dealer. If you are not due for an oil change, but simply want one, well then, is that BMW's responsibility to give it to you for free?

You should go to another BMW dealership.

I'm still confused as to whether or not your BMW is showing an oil change is due, and if you're ever had an oil change since the day you bought it new.
If BMW really thinks they have synthetic oil that will last to 25k miles, then even I want to question that and even consider not going with a new BMW this time around. I know about synthetic and I am comfortable with 15k mile oil changes with it, but 25k?
BMW needs to show me real oil analysis data performed every 15k miles on my BMW before I would accept it.

T
I purchased the vehicle new and now have 15104 miles. yes my service counter states that I have 10000 mile until my first oil change. I am changing the oil myself this weekend... I have tried to escalate this with the dealer and recieved no results. BMW NA basically says the same as you and to go to another dealer and that they can not force a dealer to do the service.

Now the picketing is a great Idea all I need is a few friends and some magic markers.....

but seriously it is not worth the fight for a $75 oil change. I just think that it is very SH!tty of the dealer to act this way with no provocation. I called the dealer that I bought it from at and explained my situation. They said they would do the change for free per owners manual, but I would have to drive 3 hours... not really worth it. At least they were helpful and knew what they were talking about.

it is not that I am whining about not getting the oil change that I "want" it clearly states in the owners manual that I am entitled to one on the one year anniversary of my in service date.

Sorry to hear of others having the same experience. absolutely rediculous for a $40K car with "free" maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #47
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BMW
I purchased the vehicle new and now have 15104 miles. yes my service counter states that I have 10000 mile until my first oil change. I am changing the oil myself this weekend... I have tried to escalate this with the dealer and recieved no results. BMW NA basically says the same as you and to go to another dealer and that they can not force a dealer to do the service.

Now the picketing is a great Idea all I need is a few friends and some magic markers.....

but seriously it is not worth the fight for a $75 oil change. I just think that it is very SH!tty of the dealer to act this way with no provocation. I called the dealer that I bought it from at and explained my situation. They said they would do the change for free per owners manual, but I would have to drive 3 hours... not really worth it. At least they were helpful and knew what they were talking about.

it is not that I am whining about not getting the oil change that I "want" it clearly states in the owners manual that I am entitled to one on the one year anniversary of my in service date.

Sorry to hear of others having the same experience. absolutely rediculous for a $40K car with "free" maintenance.
I know this is something you've probably tried, but how about speaking with a different service advisor to make the appointment. Maybe you'll get a different reaction.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #48
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
I know this is something you've probably tried, but how about speaking with a different service advisor to make the appointment. Maybe you'll get a different reaction.
Agreed ... and in the game of life sometimes you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Knowing now that this dealearship has no obligation to give you a free oil change, try being nice to the next SA you talk to so as not to elicit a negative attitude or response. Just a suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #49
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Let us all know which dealership this is so we can all stay away from it! I'm in the military and don't have a choice in staying in one location so going to another dealership shouldn't become a problem or this will be the last BMW.
      04-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #50
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
Agreed ... and in the game of life sometimes you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Knowing now that this dealearship has no obligation to give you a free oil change, try being nice to the next SA you talk to so as not to elicit a negative attitude or response. Just a suggestion.
I´m not convinced that the dealership isn´t obliged to do this - it is possible they are but BMW NA isn´t in a position to enforce this.

But your comment definitely continues my thinking vis-a-vis catching more flies or oil changes with honig.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #51
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BMW
bos, I hear you on that one "If possible, I'd look for a BMW-specific dealership rather than a general import dealership."

The next dealer is down in the bay area so I think that this "free" service is on me. It will cost less to buy the oil and filter and do it this weekend than to take time off of work.

You need to think about this, if you dont let BMW do the scheduled maintenance and you have problems down the road, they may have a case then that you have not performed the recommended maintenace and then try to cancel your warranty, long shot but if they wont even do an oil change, no telling what is next. I would at least (even if its a long drive and takes a while to resolve this), I would let a BMW dealer perform the maintenance so it will be in their computer it was performed.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #52
jetblack325xi
Silent Member
Rep
Drives: Jetblack 325xi

I would want to be reimbursed for my warranty that they are not providing. You did pay for service. Talk to a lawyer if your contract is with BMW NA and, take them to federal court I thought there was something called interstate commerce.
I have the right to choose who I bring my car to if I want to drive to another dealer it is my decision. They don’t have the right to refuse service without breaking the contract.
Does it say any authorized shop?

If a dealer can refuse service what would stop all dealers from providing service.
“Ahh, you bought your car in NJ, sorry you have to drive across the US to get service and then they might refuse to service you if you get there.”

Class action ?
      04-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #53
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I still say the dealer and BMW NA's response is BS. You need warranty work done. It is not their perogative to deny warranty work. What if your car is damaged by driving the extra miles to SF to get the work done? What if the dealer there denies service? Do you have to drive to NJ? Put it on a boat and truck to Munich? This is nuts. You should not do the work yourself, it may jeopardize the warranty. When you sell your car, a clear record of recommended maintenance is vital. Crazy for the dealer to deny service, crazy for BMW NA not to back you up.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #54
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

UMMM HOW ABOUT YOU CALL YOUR STATES BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, AND CALL YA LAWYER :mad: ..........THEN TELL BMW USA IF YA DON'T HELP ME RESOLVE THIS I'LL TAKE A ADD OUT IN THE PAPER AND BLAST YOUR SORRY ASSES ..........BUT MAN TAKE YA CAR TO A DIFFERENT DEALER ......GO TO YOUR LOCAL NEWS PAPER TALK TO THE CONSUMER ADVOCATE PERSON. ....GET HIM OR HER TO WRITE A NICE LITTLE ARTICLE , AND HELL MAYBE SHE WINS AN AWARD, CAUSE MAN YOUR STORY IS THE 50TH ONE I HAVE HEARD :mad: .....NA IS BMW'S BIGGEST MARKET THE NEED US .......DO NOT LET EM BEND YA OVER
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #55
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I bet it's an attitude problem on both sides on the SA's desk
Appreciate 0