BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red

HELP! Active Autowerke tune help needed

So I am having issues with my tune/car. Have not decided if it is my car or the tune and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My car has been stalling at around 3k rpms at mid throttle only. The car starts by stuttering at 2.5 rpms and when it hits 3k it loses throttle. Almost sounds like the car is struggling to fire. Feathering the throttle and full out the car performs as normal. But I use the mid throttle/3k spot most often while driving through the horrible traffic we have here in STL. I have received two different tunes from AA and the car had issues with both. Only issue is the car was throwing different errors from each tune.

First Tune errors (was showing water pump error light when the stall happened):
2f71 e-box fan, input signal
29d1 misfire, cyl 5
29d2 misfire, cyl 6
29d0 misfire, cyl 4
29cc misfire, several cylinders
2d59 dme digital motor electronics, internal failure: control actual torque?

I have not pulled the errors from the second tune (did not have my computer with me this week when the errors happened. I will grab them asap). The error shown on the car is the brake failure light. Same throttle issue though. If I pull over and restart the car, the error and issue go away (until the next time).

I know that I will not get to the root of the issue without getting it diagnosed, but has anyone heard/had this type of issue? With or without the tune?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Have you tried going back to the stock tune to see if you still get errors codes? I think that would isolate whether it is an issue with your car or the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill
Have you tried going back to the stock tune to see if you still get errors codes? I think that would isolate whether it is an issue with your car or the tune.
Stock runs ok. I have the stage 3 intake so it still runs like crap without the disa valves engaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger View Post
Stock runs ok. I have the stage 3 intake so it still runs like crap without the disa valves engaged.
I did the aa tune and stage 3 recently and was worried sick about mixing up the Disa connectors to the wrong disa valve after my tape fell off the wires. I looked up some online pics and verified all was OK. Could it be possible the wires got switched, which causes the valves to open in the wrong order. I'm no expert, but its something that could easily happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

I installed the DISA and headers. Got similar codes to yours. The first problem found was the O2 sensors were swapped (my fault). We also did the valve cover gasket, but did not replace the Valvetronic motor gasket. A smoke test revealed it was leaking by the gasket...the Valvetronic motor was ok. If your gasket is good, then motor could be bad.

No issues with the intake for me...I changed the gaskets and made sure I connected the cables correctly (triple checked).

The only other suggestion is if you replaced headers, recheck the headers for leaks.

I can't confirm 100%, but my understanding is that the stock program/ecu has the capability to control the 3-stage manifold already...in other words, it should run fine if it is plugged in correctly. If you changed headers, gaskets, ect., then you maybe off chasing engine ghosts now. Personally I gave up after an hour or so of scratching my head and took it to some experts for help. Cost me $200, but they found the issues I had messed up in about 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to give everyone an update:

About two weeks ago I took a 200 mile trip and had issues the whole way. I took the car to a shop when I arrived.

The codes my car was throwing were similar as before:
2F9A - ambient temp sensor, communication
2F80 - Motor shutoff time, plausibility
2F71 - E-box fan, input signal
29D2 - Misfire cyl 6
29D1 - Misfire cyl 5
29CC - Misfire several cyls
29D0 - Misfire cyl 4
29D9 - Misfire in case of tank level too low

I believed the spark plugs were the issue from looking at the codes and how the car was dying. Had the shop replace the spark plugs for me. Drove home two days later. The car still had some bugs, but the car is not dying as much on the way home.

Been driving the car now for about two weeks after changing the spark plugs and as long as I don't clear the codes or mid throttle acceleration at around 3k rpm's the car runs great.

Pulled the codes again yesterday and only had one code:

2F71 - E-box fan, input signal

If I clear this code the car dies once and will be fine after that. I believe this is the fan for the ecu. If the ecu is overheating, the car might have an auto shut off?

I am hoping that the fix for this is just a blown fuse which I will be looking into tomorrow.

Appears that the tune just heightened issues that my car was already experiencing. I do not believe the tune caused any of these things to happen within my car and this thread should not deter someone from purchasing from AA. This thread was created to gain insight on the issue and to document my issue in case someone else received the same type problems when adding the 3IM and tune.

I will post again once I have the E-box fan fixed. Believe this has been the heart of the issue from the beginning and will be happy to have the car running healthy again. Fingers crossed. Thank you everyone who replied to the thread and added their experiences with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, I have fixed the ECU fan as of Monday. Everything was going great until this morning when to my surprise the car died again!

I went to pull the codes and I did not have any errors. This now makes me wonder what the actual issue could be. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them as this has me stumped.

Almost ready to throw in the towel with the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Killswitch
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey RedRanger you ever had this issue resolved? Plus, what is your setup since i notice you had two different tunes from AA?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch
Hey RedRanger you ever had this issue resolved? Plus, what is your setup since i notice you had two different tunes from AA?
The second tune was just an update to the original tune. Tweaking some of the tune.

Currently on tune 3

The issue seems to be a 2d59 code that the car is throwing. The 2d59 code is due to the car receiving too much torque too quickly.

AA was able to disable this feature from within the tune and they sent me back another file.

Will be putting the 4th tune on tonight and will give an update in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

First off, fourth tune feels much faster. Smoother power band from 3.5k- Redline. Do not even need to be at WOT in order to feel the difference so AA tune is doing what it said it would.

The video below is the issue I am receiving. If anyone else has dealt with this issue please let me know as AA and I are trying to diagnose what is going on.

Do not mind the brake light and TPMS light. They were on before I started tuning.

https://youtu.be/pe5wF3tup4s
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Glad to see you got it figured out. I know how frustrating tuning issues can be.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
Glad to see you got it figured out. I know how frustrating tuning issues can be.
Uhh, I haven't got it figured out. No one seems to know what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Could it be related to the ignition coils? I would only expect a single coil to fail at a time, though.
Appreciate 0