BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
x0r3d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 FBO

Traction Control light comes on while making normal turns

Hello all,

I recently replaced my factory M-sport wheel with an aftermarket NRG hub/quick release and Nardi wheel that I had. Yes, I know this removes the airbag and all the dangers with it. This car is being prepped for track use and is not a daily driver.

In order for me to use the NRG hub, I had to remove the clock spring /slip ring piece from the stalk to fit the hub. now when i go and make normal turns I get the traction control light icon blinking along with feeling the brake being applied to the outside wheel. IE if i'm turning left it applies it to the right wheel and vice versa for right hand turns.

I get no DSC/ABS errors and for good measure I straightened my wheels up and did a steering angle reset. the problem still shows up. my temp solution is disabling the DSC/DTC by holding the button after startup.

It should also be noted that the only dash lights I have are for the airbag and seat-belt (wheel airbag removed, seat-belt light is probably some sort of locking mechanism part of the SRS stuff)

1. Has anyone seen this while replacing steering wheels?
2. is the clockspring/slipring assembly required for the DSC and all that stuff to work properly?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

The steering angle sensor is integrated into the clock spring assembly
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
x0r3d
Registered
Rep

i Saw where you can unclip the clockspring assembly from the unit but that still leaves the Steering angle sensor (optical disk ir reader) with the turn signal/cruise control/wiper stuff.

I just checked my car now after forcing gas while turning and i got my errors that state steering angle sensor plausibility and steering column switching centre ,multifunction.

I tried the SAS reset by starting the car, turning the wheel counter-clock still dead stop and then clockwise until dead stop and returning to center, shutting down for 15 minutes and then taking a test drive.

still get the braking being applied with the traction control light when turning.
I did notice that if i hit the DSC button and turn it to DTC the problem goes away. could replacing my wheel and hub have caused me to break a solder joint within the optical disk area?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Is the optical wheel turning with the steering wheel? The best way to figure this out would be to hook it up to a diagnostic tool that can read the actual steering angle and see what it's reading as you turn the wheel

If the sensor wasn't reading anything at all I'm pretty sure you would get a code popping up pretty quick
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

You probably need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor with a diagnostic tool/INPA/ISTA

However, if the steering angle sensor is not working properly/out of alignment/otherwise dead, you will get DSC, DTC, ABS and FTM errors so you might have something else on your hands.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
x0r3d
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
You probably need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor with a diagnostic tool/INPA/ISTA

However, if the steering angle sensor is not working properly/out of alignment/otherwise dead, you will get DSC, DTC, ABS and FTM errors so you might have something else on your hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Is the optical wheel turning with the steering wheel? The best way to figure this out would be to hook it up to a diagnostic tool that can read the actual steering angle and see what it's reading as you turn the wheel

If the sensor wasn't reading anything at all I'm pretty sure you would get a code popping up pretty quick

Consider this case solved Guys/Gal's. i had an old clockspring assembly sitting around so i took it apart. turns out the inner part actually slides into the SAS that turns as the wheel is turned. Good call Gizmo! since im not using any of the functions I just modified it to fit and then calibrated the SAS using my coder tool. the problem is solved! Thank you both for your input and helping me with the situation!
Appreciate 0