BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
thatonetime
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Which lottery did you say you won?
Getting everything used helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Just IMO, but be careful with upping the compression. Since you're essentially lowering unsprung weight via wheels, there is no need for higher compression.
As of now, everything is at half and it feel perfect. I just need to get the stiffer springs out back. Since im running 17's, it looks low but the rear control arm is still straight.

Here is how it sits. Ill get a front photo also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Awesome thread here. Love the wheels, very unique. Can't wait to see the tow strap installed.
Thank you. Ill try and tackle them this weekend.

UPDATE

Everything is here:
- K&N Filter
- Forge DV's
- Cobb Charge Pipe

Everyone gets intakes or straight filters. They all end up pulling hot air in. So I decided to stay with the stock air box just get a bit more air in it. Let the drilling begin.

Bottom of the airbox:

Pulled the stock DV's out.

Old to new for comparison

Stock charge pipe is out

Old to new for comparison

And its now getting dark. Still out working on it. Maybe I should have done this earlier.

Everything is now in.

DONE

This HarborFreight LED light has been awesome. Have owned it for over a year now and still works great. Cant beat the $28 that was spent on it.

Now Im just waiting on my
- JB4 G5
- Kinesis barrels
and..... who knows what else I find used thats worth getting :shifty
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #24
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonetime View Post
Getting everything used helps

Everyone gets intakes or straight filters. They all end up pulling hot air in. So I decided to stay with the stock air box just get a bit more air in it. Let the drilling begin.

Bottom of the airbox:

:shifty
funny as i have tbi and had to use the bms dci hot air filters as the nozzle sits to high to use the airbox but i started to cut up my stock air box as well. i was going to seal the bottom with jb weld and some aluminum from a soda can or something. is yours sealed? i was worried about sucking something into my turbo through the rear inlet.

i can understand the eibachs, i got a set of ast SA monotubes for super cheap with swift springs and had to use them, got the fronts rebuilt for 125 each, have 336lb/616lb springs and was nervous it was going to be harsh. actually rides better then the koni yellows and bmw springs i had on before. what spring rates you running?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #25
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
funny as i have tbi and had to use the bms dci hot air filters as the nozzle sits to high to use the airbox but i started to cut up my stock air box as well. i was going to seal the bottom with jb weld and some aluminum from a soda can or something. is yours sealed? i was worried about sucking something into my turbo through the rear inlet.

i can understand the eibachs, i got a set of ast SA monotubes for super cheap with swift springs and had to use them, got the fronts rebuilt for 125 each, have 336lb/616lb springs and was nervous it was going to be harsh. actually rides better then the koni yellows and bmw springs i had on before. what spring rates you running?
Where I cut the box, the air still goes through the filter. So nothing besides air will make it in the turbos.

The Eibachs come with 250/500. But I have 350 in the front now. So I need to double up for the rear. I ordered the new springs for the rear so I will be 350/700. Love the ride tho, its smooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #26
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonetime View Post
Where I cut the box, the air still goes through the filter. So nothing besides air will make it in the turbos.

The Eibachs come with 250/500. But I have 350 in the front now. So I need to double up for the rear. I ordered the new springs for the rear so I will be 350/700. Love the ride tho, its smooth.
i posted too quick, i just woke up and missed that, yes i cut mine to the left of where you cut, right where the rear inlet comes in, my nozzle on the throttle body spacer plate for the tbi interferes. clean install
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #27
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Car looks nice man, glad you're putting the strut bar to good use!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #28
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
Car looks nice man, glad you're putting the strut bar to good use!
Thanks for it again.

UPDATE

My 15mm spacers came in yesterday. I can now put the SSR's back on. So Im running 15mm spacers in the front and 3mm spacers in the rear. Front fitment is dead on with a meaty tire.

Ordered JB4 G5 and down pipes. Hopefully they get here fast
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep

More details on the 2002.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #30
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Thanks, now I need a new pair of pants.

Seriously though man car is coming out GREAT. Really love the modesty of this build, just the right amount of go + looks + OE appearance.

I've once again been bitten by the mod bug and I've found myself ordering a bunch of crap so I'll be posting a thread like this soon too hopefully!
      05-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #31
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
More details on the 2002.
Its a work in progress. Collecting a bunch of parts for it right now. Measuring out a way to make my own coilovers for it. Still thinking if I should make it widebody or not. Middle of June I'll start to get cracking on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Thanks, now I need a new pair of pants.

Seriously though man car is coming out GREAT. Really love the modesty of this build, just the right amount of go + looks + OE appearance.

I've once again been bitten by the mod bug and I've found myself ordering a bunch of crap so I'll be posting a thread like this soon too hopefully!
Thanks man. I always try and keep my cars simple and to the point. Buying the right stuff goes a long way (sometimes, less is more)

UPDATE

Hey guys. Nothing crazy happened. Since I ordered the JB4 Tune and catless downpipes I decided to get the valves walnut blasted. Dont know if most of you know but since the car is direct port injection, turbo and with a crappy oem PCV valve, the valves in these engines get super dirty. There is no more fuel washing the valves on the intake side so they get grimy.

Before I toss the tune in I decided to have some pros do the work. I took the car over to SpeedElement in San Jose. Over the years I've always gotten parts from here for my S2000/E36 M3/240's and so on... (car problems) Other then the usual tire mount and balance "since they do a lot of deep dish wheel, I trust them" I decided to take the car in for the walnut blasting service. They have done a lot of my buddies BMWs in the past so I ended up here.

Well here it is:

Got there this morning at 10AM right as they opened up. R32 and this wide body FRS which was not bagged. Its on 326 Power Coilovers.... super OG

Since the car was hot, they tossed a fan on it for a bit to cool it down

Since I had some time to waste, my buddy showed me around. The Hunter in ground alignment rack was cool but this, I have not seen before.

Before you get alignment, the rack will set all the tire pressures even. Its cool cause it does it, waits a bit and if they move, it will adjust the pressures again. I thought it was kinda neat

btw this car came in and the air pressure was front 41 and 32, Rear 34 and 38. lol

Back to the 1 series. Cowl and intake are coming out.

Kinda sucks everything is coming off again

Damn it man, I just did this shit last week. I could have waited till today and they could have installed everything for me while they reassembled it :rofl were would the fun in it be tho

Ready to start blasting

Here is one dirty valve for reference "before walnut blasting" BTW considering how dirty it is and the times, one of the previous owners did this before me.

Let the blasting commence

Onto the next, and the next, and the next...

Yeah, you get in there good. Haha, glad these guys put up with me.

"After walnut blasting" Still not done just yet. There is stuff still stuck on the walls.

"Fully cleaned" It looks new again.

Done. Time to put shit back together

I'll be honest. I lost track of time talking to my buddy and forgot to take more photos.

Here is a break down of each cylinder. Talking to them I got them to set up a discount for Bimmerforums and 1addicts people with N54's. $400 for this service in the BayArea is cheap. I've gotten quotes from $590 to $1280 for this service calling over 9 shops.

They just went for a quick drive to check everything. He's looking under the hood to make sure the engine is still there and Im outtahere.

I got home and had a surprise waiting for me........ yay JB4 came in. Time for 2 Step :rofl

Parts to come in:
- Catless Downpipes

Parts I want:
- 1M Front Bumper
- CAE Shifter :shifty
- M3 Front Swaybar
- Wider Kinesis Barrels
- Stud Kit with Race Nuts
- Endless Brake Fluid
- Project U Club Racer Pads
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #32
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Nice progress here. I just did a walnut blast myself over the winter months.

I'm curious, what did they do between the "after walnut blast" and "finished" pictures?
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #33
Schalldampfer1
///Mmmmmmm
Rep
Drives: e82 135i/6; e36 M3 2/5

Garage List
1996 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Congrats and welcome! I also have an e36 M3 that I love and will never let go of! Have fun!

2008 e82 135i Coupe 6 Speed
///M Sport, Sedona Red over Black

1996 e36 ///M3 Coupe 5 Speed
Cosmos Black over Black
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #34
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Nice progress here. I just did a walnut blast myself over the winter months.

I'm curious, what did they do between the "after walnut blast" and "finished" pictures?
They scraped off all that extra stuff. You can see it in the photos. It was a deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalldampfer1 View Post
Congrats and welcome! I also have an e36 M3 that I love and will never let go of! Have fun!
Post a photo of the E36. We love ours. We are not getting rid of ours later.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #35
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

I like the front canister mounting a lot. Where did you get the canister brackets, and what did you bolt them to? Could you post some more pictures? Are those with Xenons? Looking to better mount mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #36
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Another owner of two E36 chassis that I won't get rid of... Hence the name

This is a beautiful build. Very tasteful, simple, well done. Great work!
      05-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #37
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
I like the front canister mounting a lot. Where did you get the canister brackets, and what did you bolt them to? Could you post some more pictures? Are those with Xenons? Looking to better mount mine.
They came with the kit. I bolted them to the radiator support. I drilled the holes and put bolts through. Yes my car has the Active BiXenon headlights. Ill take some better photos for you of the front mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Thanks man. Love the E36 chassis. Drove it over the weekend and its just amazing to me next year the car will be 20 years old, yet it feels 100% great to DD.

UPDATE

So I've had my old BBS CH's black edition collecting dust since I got the Advans for my wagon. I decided to give them a try on the 1.

Specs:
Front 18x8.5 ET35
Rear 18x10 ET40

Get it girl

Here they are.

Front is perfect for the 245/40/18's Falken RT615's

Rear shot

Well, for "stance" its a perfect fit. For a grip set up unfortunately is a no

So i decided to try the 18x8.5 ET35 in the rear also

Perfect!!!

So no I need to trade someone my 18x10 ET40's for 18x8.5 ET35's. Some E46 M3 guy will be very happy.

So 18x8.5 ET35 Square with a 245/40/18 Falken RT615 Square setup is up next :alright
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #38
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Love it all! Any noticeable changes in the car after the valve cleaning?
      05-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #39
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

18x8.5 ET35 with a 245/40/18 will probably rub up front.

My 18x8.5" ET45 with 235/40/18 rub and I have rolled/pulled fenders. Curious to see the outcome. Love the BBS CH wheels!
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #40
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalldampfer1 View Post
Post a photo of your e36's

Here is one of mine from tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Love it all! Any noticeable changes in the car after the valve cleaning?
The car is smoother now. Especially on initial startup and drive early in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #41
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Probably the only pic I have of mine in its current condition...
      06-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #42
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Probably the only pic I have of mine in its current condition...
Love the K1's. I had a set but after cracking 2 I ended up getting Kinesis. Still love them tho.

UPDATE

What a week. Everything was last minute.

I signed up to do another rally this year. It was in part with the Epilepsy Foundation. We raised money and brought awareness while doing a road trip to HRE Open House and having fun.

After trying to fit those 18 inch BBS CH's last week, my buddy traded me his 18x8.5 for my two 18x10's. Now I finally got 18x8.5 ET35 Square. That being said even though it sounds like nothing hard to fit, on the 1 series it's a pain in the ass. I was told I can't fit the front with anything wider than a 225/40/18 and the rear nothing bigger than a 245/35/18. That's crazy considering I want to fit 245/40/18. Reason why I want a meaty tire is grip/comfort/road noise/tire wear.

Let's begin:

So my tires came in. Thanks to Falken USA for pulling strings and getting me the tires so fast. I currently have these tires on my E36 M3 and E91 Touring. I love them and can't say anything bad about them. The grip is phenomenal, they are nice and quiet and they last a long time with a proper alignment. They perform better than the Michelin Sport tires everyone seems to buy for the M3 and they are quieter than my R888's I have and they last longer. Again, I love them.

The second they came in, I threw them in the wagon and took off to have them mounted.

By the time I got home it was late but I couldn't wait

Since I'm doing this much work, I might as well put my bullnose studs on as well

On it

It actually ended up getting dark and I did not take anymore photos. I just focused on finishing.

The next morning though........ since I have camber plates and the coilovers are nice as well, the front is super close but clears with no issues. I have a hint of rubbing from the front bumper corned but nothing I can't live with

The rear on the other hand rubs constantly. This is because the inner lip is in the way and because my rear springs are 500 and not the 700's I need. No biggie, my buddy is giving me his springs and he's on his way. Let's make this fit

You can see the area thats rubbing bad

A little tape, a little silver Sharpie and this dremel

Two and a half disks later, here we are

Quarters are done. Now for the springs. My buddy came through. Old springs are red (500lb) and the teal springs are new (700lp). This is perfect since I'm running 350lb in the front. This is the perfect combo for the 1 series chassis. 350lb front and 700lb rear.

And just as I thought I was done.....NOPE

My girlfriend surprised me with the craziest birthday gift. I had no idea she ordered me a bumper and even had it painted. Crazy. Her and 5 of our other friends pitched in money for it. I was speechless.

I can't freaking wait......screw it, guess I'm putting the bumper on.

No more headlight washers.....oh no

Swapped over my black grills

It's on

Hood seal is back on and done. That was actually really fast.

Time to wash the car..... I guess it's also shower time :rofl

Now, for the shoot

Time to pull out the good camera.

Height/fitment

Full car :alright

Really happy with how this turned out. The bumper makes the complete setup look good.

And for the Rallye stuff

I'd like to point out, it's now 11pm and we are putting on stickers

Girlfriend putting in the work. We ended up getting done at 2:47am

Next morning at 9am, we had a meeting and...... let the Rallye begin!

I had so much fun. San Jose to Santa Barbara to San Diego was awesome. Somewhere along the way, I drove a 993 RWB behind a P1, a GT3 RS, E63 AMG and a E90 M3. I'm going to edit photos and post them up. All to come.

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #43
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nice progress, thanks for sharing! Enjoying your photography skills, too. We should get the 128 and the 135 together for a mini-shoot sometime.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #44
thatonetime
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice progress, thanks for sharing! Enjoying your photography skills, too. We should get the 128 and the 135 together for a mini-shoot sometime.
I'm down. Love shooting.

UPDATE
Engines4Epilepsy Rallye

We started at 9am on Thursday morning at Santana Row in San Jose CA.

On the freeway

This car sounded amazing and was a rocket. E63 AMG S with Renntech downpipes and tune plus 19" Work VSXX's and R888's for times. It was close to if not 700hp. :eyebrows

45min into it and the SLS AMG had a low tire pressure warning light. We pulled over to check how low it really was since the light was not yellow but red. I always have my Longacre gauge with me :alright

It ended up being at 18psi on one back wheel. So we decided to go to the nearest gas station.

We will call this #gasstationtakeover1

You're never safe bending over like that to add air in your tires

I've learned my lesson from previous rallies, when at a gas station.....fill up. This little 135 has a tiny tank so I might as well fill it every chance I get.

Chrome seems to be a popular GTR color.

Back on the road again

1 hour later....... Rocket Bunny GTR is running out of gas. Guess all those freeway pulls did not help :rolleyes

#gasstationtakeover2

We had 2 18 wheelers in front of us that came off a dirt road. Nothing but rocks falling off them. Look at my girlfriends reaction to the front bumper.... yeah, its blasted. Rock chips everywhere and it just got painted 4 days ago. We had no time to clear bra it, oh well.

Thank you Falken Tire USA for all the support. I did not forget you guys

Wait, also thank you Fatlace and Rallye as well :eyebrows

Back on the road again. Santa Barbara, here we come!

My front view

My rear view

We got so many thumbs up from people. By the time the 2nd car would drive by someone, their phones would come out and record the rest of the pack

Time for lunch

After lunch, we thought we should get gas one last time before we get to Santa Barbara.
Here is #gasstationtakeover3

Hmm. Seems like we have a problem now. Out of all the cars, the Supercharged SLS won't start. Battery is dead....awkward :shifty Good thing the Range had jumper cables. English cars have to be ready for this type of thing :rofl

My buddy was tired so he asked me to drive his GT3 RS. Can't really say no to that, plus my girlfriend wanted to drive the 1. She loves the car.

We made it to Santa Barbara. We had a small incident with the other AMG. All the Rallye TShirts were in the roof box. Somehow at high speed the bottom of the roof box broke :cool we lost about 25 tshirts on HWY 101. So our way of fixing it was to tape it down with one of the HelloKitty Stripes we had. :rofl

The Hotel reserved parking for us. Yay

The next day we started off on some great roads. The E63 AMG led the pack. It was beautiful and the road was freshly paved.

I'm almost positive this is where the turbos blew on the 1 series Right as I hit about 130 I had a quick stutter. After this, every time I let off the throttle, the car behind me wold go over the walkie-talkie and tell me white/blue smoke would come out slightly. It's under warranty, so I guess BMW will get the car after the Rallye.

It was beautiful. The experience was amazing. No place I would rather be than a smooth mountain road, beautiful scenery, friends and some amazing sounding cars.

We stopped at Safeway for some drinks. We got gas also but my camera was in the E90 M3 and they went to the gas station across the street

Love this Illest hat. I got it last week and I've been getting nothing but compliments on it. I almost want to go buy another before they fully run out and I won't see one ever again.

And a few minutes after.....DISASTER. The Aux cable broke. Good bye Pandora, hello garbage radio

Spotted this beautiful Jag on the freeway.

Btw this Kiwi Redbull is tasty. Better not be Summer Edition only.

We stopped on HWY 1 to take a photo. Our group got split up. Some of us got food at Neptune's Net from Fast and the Furious and other half decided to drive straight to San Diego and go swimming in the pool.

AND... welcome to LA traffic.

Yup. Turbos are done. It's now puffing smoke every time you get off the throttle.

We ended up getting 2 Air BnB places. Houses were close by. Both views were fantastic.

Pool at house number 1

Pool and beach at house number 2

After a long fun night everyone started waking up. I did not take photos the night before but our 3 other friends made it over. The McLaren P1 showed up and so did both RWBs with Rotiform Wheels.

And we now have a little problem. Something is rattling bad on the front of the C4 RWB. I drove it up and down the street and it sounds like the front diff bushing is shot. Right as I'm about to pull it on our driveway, everyone hears something hit the ground

I'm fucking sure. Thank god the driveway is steep. We can use it to our advantage.

I can see where it fell from but I can't get close to it. This is where we got sketchy and inventive :shifty

Now the question is who will go under it. I hate this part because I'm more car savvy so I always get volunteered. YUP. That train is never late.

Damn it. It's me.

Where it's missing from

And it's now back on

While I did the diff mount, others vinyled the cars. My girlfriend is doing the vinyling and she has about 5 other people doing the managing job. Everyone is so good at micro managing. lol :rofl

Brought the 2nd RWB down.

Now to meet everyone and roll in to HRE Open House. This will be fun. Got to drive the RWB since I fixed it. Loved every second of it. Following the P1 on the freeway was an added bonus.

I don't know if the Ihop parking lot was the best place for the meet up

Our other 2 friends showed up a little later. They could not take off Thursday and Friday but they made it down.

AND... HRE Open House. Here we are.

It was part of the Rallye also

Full family. Dad, Mom, Son.

HRE Open House was awesome. Place was packed.

Kids loved the P1 and the owner is really nice. He let all the kids sit in it.

Mr. Smoking Tire talked to us for a bit and gave out some prizes. We all got tickets as a group. 72 tickets and we won nothing :rofl

But some dude won 2 times in a row. You can see everyone looking back like WTF

Good bye HRE Open House 2016, until next year. Now to the Hotel and pool. Downtown San Diego, here we come.

Driving the E90 M3. This car is a blast. Every single bushing has been changed to spherical. I'm sure the 3 way external reservoir coilovers make the experience that much better also

It's now Sunday morning. We got breakfast at the hotel... Let's go home. San Diego to San Jose. I left driving the E90 M3 while my buddy rested in the 135i with my girlfriend driving.

Super happy with the car. It did not rub anywhere the whole trip. I'd like to thank my E90 M3 friend as he helped me dial in my Rebound and Compression perfect over the course of the Rallye. The car handles like a dream and I've achieved my Fitment/Handling look

A few more "gas station take overs" later

Window is so dirty. I forgot to wash it at the last stop... damn.

Right as the sun was going down, we pulled into Gilroy. I'm now 35 miles from home. I'm ready to sit on my couch, see my dog and fall asleep watching Netflix.

The End
Appreciate 2