BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #23
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

haha, brilliant rebuttle...

i am having a similar rattle sound coming from the passenger side rear of my car. I have had the techs replace BOTH speakers with no luck.

I use an iPhone 3G 16gb
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
mowmentous
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have the same problem, I'm taking my 1 in for a passenger side rattle, and I'll get them to look into the bass distortion issue while they are at it. And I too have removed mp3 compression as a potential problem by playing the original CD for a couple of songs during which the bass issue was noticeable. Same problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
Dafdos
Rep
Drives:

I´ve uploaded my test song to:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-..._test.zip.html

Maybe we confirm that we all hear the same problem - there are 5-6 higher tones at about 4:40 and 4:44, both bass tones after that (around 4:42 and 4:46) force the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #26
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

This was actually going to be my first post on this forum as well...but ended up being my second. :wink:

Anyway, I have this same exact problem. I actually noticed it on my first drive home from the dealership after buying my car. I ONLY listen to original audio CD music, and it is most noticeable on electronic/trance music. Seems to be mostly coming from the rear speakers, right after bass hits. Sounds like an electronic bass echo. I am going to take it to BMW, and have them hear it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafdos View Post
I´ve uploaded my test song to:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-..._test.zip.html

Maybe we confirm that we all hear the same problem - there are 5-6 higher tones at about 4:40 and 4:44, both bass tones after that (around 4:42 and 4:46) force the problem.
I can confirm that the problem is definitely present here and very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I have attached a zipped MP3 of the portion of the song in question. Please play the MP3 on your computer; notice there is no faint 'buzzing' sound after bass notes. Then play the MP3 on your Logic 7 and notice the faint, but noticeable 'buzzing' after every bass hit.

You will probably have to have the windows up and the volume at a level such that it would be difficult to hear someone talking at a normal level. It doesn't have to be excessively loud as you can hear the distortion at low levels as well, but it's much more noticeable at higher levels.

You will also need to be driving at speed (20km/hr +).
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (525.4 KB, 219 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

I did notice that the buzz was much louder with the Logic 7 on...but I still do notice it when it is switched off as well. :iono:

On a side note, my window sticker lists "stronger electricity supply" in the options. Anyone else have this, and get the buzz? Could they be related?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
BeeNice
Rep
Drives:

Same problem in mine. It occurs on CDs, ipod, AM, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #31
Dafdos
Rep
Drives:

Any updates on this problem? Was on vacation for two weeks so I had no time to ask my dealer about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #32
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I've got it too, bugs the hell outta me considering I always go aftermarket and this logic 7 cost me $875.00 and sounds worse than my old civic. Don't even try to close the doors and turn up the music, listen to it from outside, "factory ghetto rumble". Rediculous. The dealer here is gonna hate me lol.

Edit: just found this......
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14967

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #33
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Ya the buzzing isn't loud like that. The problem I am having is what sounds to be a ground loop somewhere. Once again though, I only hear it when the car is at speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #34
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I've got the same thing. It's unfortunate that's a recurring problem and something that can't be fixed with the stock system it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Bad news. Today I brought the car into my local dealer, Brian Jessel, the largest BMW dealer in Canada. They had never heard of the problem before and the technician was realistic in his assessment that the sound system probably had to be re-engineered. Obviously, a service department isn't about to take that on. He was also straining to hear the sound and since it's so subtle (but very annoying once you notice it), most people aren't likely to complain and thus BMW AG probably isn't going to do anything about it.

I could generate a bunch of tones and determine the frequency range that causes the problem and send that off to BMW, but really, more people need to complain for something to get done.

Until then, I am a bit po'ed that a $1,200 sound system has interference/distortion.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I have been experiencing this bass problem too... In an odd way, it is a little comforting to know I'm not the only one with this disappointing defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhartha View Post
... He was also straining to hear the sound and since it's so subtle (but very annoying once you notice it)...
The first 6 seconds of the song "Say It Right" by Nelly Furtado displays this bass problem very clearly. The technician would have to be deaf if he couldn't detect the distinct distortion in bass with this particular song. It is not subtle here.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #37
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I got a call from the dealership today and they told me they contacted BMW and, of course, they had not heard of the problem either. A case was opened up though and supposedly engineering is looking into it. I strongly urge anyone who has this problem to bring the car into their dealership. Let's get some complaints up to corporate so they might actually do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #38
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I have a logic 7 dsp on order and after reading this thread I regret checking that box. I personally would get tired waiting for BMW to do something about it. Anybody here know how to fix it? A DIY for this would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #39
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erich View Post
I have a logic 7 dsp on order and after reading this thread I regret checking that box. I personally would get tired waiting for BMW to do something about it. Anybody here know how to fix it? A DIY for this would be perfect.
I would start by running the ground wire coming from the amp directly to the negative terminal on the battery and see if that does anything. I would also check to make sure that the head unit output cables and speaker cables are run on the opposite side of the car as the power cables.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #40
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Just an update on this, it appears the sound does increase in volume with acceleration. It's very subtle, but I'm almost positive it's happening. This would lead me to think that it is some sort of alternator whine (http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newslett...ator_whine.htm).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #41
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

Same problem in 335i

Hey all,

Very glad to hear this problem is not limited to just me. My '08 335 has the same issues. Some info that may be useful:

Two songs that reliably produce the buzzing/static:
1) "I Wanna Love You" by Akon / Snoop
2) "Set the Ray to Jerry" by Smashing Pumpkins

(Have not tested the Nelly Furtado, but will test it.)

I can confirm the problem is NOT the iPod or the track quality -- I've listened to the songs on a set of good earphones, headphones, stereo, and the Logic 7. The problem only exists on the Logic 7.

More importanty, I took the car into the dealer today, and here is what they have said so far:

1) Yes, the mechanic can reproduce the problem/hear it.
2) Yes, *they acknowledge the song is not playing correctly.* (This is huge.)
3) The system still passes the BMW factory audio test.
4) Because of #3, they cannot do anything to fix this, as there is officially not a problem.

I told the service rep that while I know it's not her fault, this is not acceptable and will probably develop into a larger problem.

Next steps are to request the mechanic look at the amp and wiring, as was mentioned earlier. I am planning to escalate this as needed, and possibly file with the BBB.

More as it develops.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #42
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum, TheDude!

Yes, it is not an issue of the quality or encoding because I too have tested on other systems without any of this distortion. I will test those 2 songs when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If someone has a hand-held recorder, could they please record the exact distortion that is happening. I would like to analyze the frequencies it occurs at and have a sound byte of the interference itself. This way, when we all bring our cars to the dealerships, we can play for them the sound that they should be listening for, in case it's not all that obvious.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #44
uid90283
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I have the exact same problem, but only on deep bass sounds. Swift135 made a good comparison, I plan to do the same experiment. Sounds like the problem lies in the MP3 decoder and not the hardware of the system. I am going to test the original cd (not written from mp3), the mp3 on a memory stick and via my expensive ipod cable and ipod. If the problem exists in only the memory stick, then it is for sure the MP3 decoder in the car causing the noise and not any hardware problems.
Anyone know if the mp3 conversion is something that can be flashed or is it done in a hardware chip?
Appreciate 0