HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Not anyone else with issues with BMW apps? Intermittent loading of the phone in the media adapter? Mine was very intermittent and in the end almost never worked in the media adapter. Not even charging the battery.
I too have this problem, but won't take the car in for service for another 6-8 weeks. Appreciate you updating the thread. It will make trouble shooting this issue much easier for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #112
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

No news on the spare part from BMW yet.

I did see that there was an update to the BMW connect app for iPhone early this week. Some more functionality and also spec stability and performance improvements. Anyone tested and seen if its better for you guys that have a working media adapter with Apps? Mine is as you know not working so cannot test... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #113
JC Exec
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

I don't Have BMW Apps is that precluding me to watch videos from iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #114
ThumpersM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

sorry I can not give too much information yet , but a new media cradle hardware is coming for those having issues like myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #115
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Sweet! I've been holding back on getting one until they could provide a working one!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #116
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

The car has been three days at BMW this week. They found that it might be a faulty cable from factory. Meaning faulty cable from the armrest to the media unit in the back. Funny that the factory can do such an error to install the wrong cable! Where is the BMW QA process? Its a joke! Still not solved as they are finding out what replacement cable should be mounted. I will need to write to someone in the M-division regarding this when its solved and verified. Terrible to get an error like this on a M-car. Not ok... Will keep you posted when the solution has truly been verified. Still not 100% sure this will solve it... BMWs process to find electronic errors seems very very bad... Lousy!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #117
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfx4 View Post
sorry I can not give too much information yet , but a new media cradle hardware is coming for those having issues like myself.
Where did you hear this? By whom? BMW says they have no info on this...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #118
ThumpersM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Where did you hear this? By whom? BMW says they have no info on this...
BMW has not officially announced anything yet,and yes they have no information to share yet.I am not sure how BMW is Sweden handles there situations. I know you are disappointed and all , things happen. I've seen (and tested) the new unit and it will work.your dealer will know soon about the fix and replacement soon.
I say enjoy your M-car (The 1M!) for what it is , use the Apple white cable for now(you can use bmw connected apps).I'm just a enthusiast here,just trying to help..I know you want me to tell you where I heard this, sorry I can't tell you..It's entirely up to you if you want to believe me or not.

have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #119
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfx4 View Post
BMW has not officially announced anything yet,and yes they have no information to share yet.I am not sure how BMW is Sweden handles there situations. I know you are disappointed and all , things happen. I've seen (and tested) the new unit and it will work.your dealer will know soon about the fix and replacement soon.
I say enjoy your M-car (The 1M!) for what it is , use the Apple white cable for now(you can use bmw connected apps).I'm just a enthusiast here,just trying to help..I know you want me to tell you where I heard this, sorry I can't tell you..It's entirely up to you if you want to believe me or not.

have a great weekend!
Its a lot of rumors on different forums regarding media adapters and has been for years. Not just the 1M that have issues. I see 3-series, 5-series etc. So that is why its easy to be skeptical about a new rumor regarding media adapter. I hope you are right and that they go out with this ASAP!

I also hope someone writing the software for BMW connected in the iPhone to make it multitasking and quicker. Its a rather lousy app at this moment. Employ some real App software developers! Same with UI design.

Thanks for the note and hope you are connected to the right people for real and not just a noter rumor that is false. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #120
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wish BMW would just turn over their in-car hardware/software design and implementation to Apple. Car should come equipped with wifi and talk to my home network and download my iTunes stuff. Any hardware/software problems I can take to Apple store. BMW is a good car company, but a not-so-good computer company.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #121
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

If you ask me they should create an open interface for any phone vendors to connect with. Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry etc. Open APIs to connect with the screen and entertainment system, the diagnostics in the car etc etc. I think its stupid to lock down to one vendor and integrate it so deep. Cars last long but phone devices usually have a rather short lifespan compared. Guess what we have in our cars will feel very legacy in 3-5 years...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #122
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Today I had my car in again. My dealer had received a new cable that connects the armrest module with the mediamodule in the boot. Just tested it for like 15 minutes in the car but it seems to work now. I will update this thread if I run into any new issues. If I dont update it works.

I will also ask for the partnumber or info for this cable so it can help others with media adapter issues. It seems they did fit the wrong cable from factory...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #123
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will also ask for the partnumber or info for this cable so it can help others with media adapter issues. It seems they did fit the wrong cable from factory...
Excellent news!

Please update with part number. Also, let us know one way or another if this latest fix actually works longterm.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #124
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR;11****33
Excellent news!

Please update with part number. Also, let us know one way or another if this latest fix actually works longterm.
Will report next week. Will call BMW and verify that the solution works and also get the part number and share.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #125
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

OK so the Media adapter and everything has worked since Friday. Seems to be solved.

The number of the cable that the used was 61 11 9 202 749. It is short than the original so they had to route it another way from the armrest to the media controller unit in the boot.

So the solution for me was to change the cable connecting the armrest module with the media controller unit in the boot. Not sure if this is just my car but do know that the fix is working for me. The iPhone is always loading, better antenna strength and the integration with BMW Apps etc works without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #126
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK so the Media adapter and everything has worked since Friday. Seems to be solved.

The number of the cable that the used was 61 11 9 202 749...
Thanks for the update. Let us know if your fix stops working. Will probably go ahead and try to get this part replaced and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #127
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I believe I have solved the problem with my media adaptor. Based on the experience of Hybris4u I decided to examine the "USB to hub" cable (BMW part number 61119202749) in my car.

Name:  cable.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  21.2 KB

After removing the trim piece covering the back end of the center console I found the cable in question (or at least I think its the same cable). This cable emerges from the area of the snap in cradle in the arm rest (red arrows) and has a junction wrapped in foam (green arrow). The cable then continues downwards and to the right, diving underneath the carpet covering the transmission tunnel (blue arrow, red circle on zoomed image).

Name:  Main view.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  109.1 KB

I noticed the cable was pinched between the trim of the center console and the transmission tunnel where it dives underneath the carpet (not pictured - these images were taken afterwards). I gently freed the cable from its impinged position under the trim. I also double checked the connection wrapped in foam (green arrow) to make sure there was a solid connection.

Name:  Zoom.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  75.4 KB

After doing so, my media adaptor seems to work normally. As you can see from the pictures, there is not much room in this spot, and when they bolt down the center console in the factory, I suspect it is easy to pinch these cables if not paying close attention.

If anybody is suffering intermittent or constant media adaptor malfunctions, I suggest you take these simple steps and make sure your cable is not impinged by the center console trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #128
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Snap-in for those WITHOUT NAV

What's the point?

I have no nav, but I have the iPhone/BT through the stereo.

Current setup:

iPhone 4s set up via BT for phone only
iPod separately docked in the pouch and connected to the USB port via the standard Mac cable

Can anyone see a benefit to me docking the phone? It seems like it would be a PITA to remove the case each time and dock it. Right now things are pretty easy. I hop in and the BT pairs fine. I leave the iPod in the car and I can navigate those tracks fine via the radio.
      05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #129
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
What's the point?

I have no nav, but I have the iPhone/BT through the stereo.

Current setup:

iPhone 4s set up via BT for phone only
iPod separately docked in the pouch and connected to the USB port via the standard Mac cable

Can anyone see a benefit to me docking the phone? It seems like it would be a PITA to remove the case each time and dock it. Right now things are pretty easy. I hop in and the BT pairs fine. I leave the iPod in the car and I can navigate those tracks fine via the radio.
Better phone reception using the antenna, loading the phone.. If you don't have apps and nab its not that much more I guess?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #130
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
media cradle for sure you can also use video in motion if its coded for it, also uses the cars antenna
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #131
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It appears that a BMW snap-in adapter (cradle) is available for the RIM/Blackberry Bold 9900: part # 84 21 2 296 110.

Quoted US$121.50 in the US and €83.00 in Germany.

My BB 9900 phone is not comptabile with my BB 9000 cradle.

Does someone already have that BB 9900 cradle ?

Name:  BB_Bold_9900_Cradle.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  19.8 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 09-25-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Added picture
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #132
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just wanted to update this thread in case anybody else encounters problems similar to mine.

I thought I had fixed my problem by adjusting the position of my cable as it passes from the rear of the center console (see above). This worked for awhile, but my problem returned after a few months.

I ended up replacing the old cable with a new one ordered from Tischer. So far it seems to have fixed the problem, and my iPhone snap in adapter is consistently working properly.

As Hybris4u noted above, the replacement cable is shorter than the original, so you have to use a slightly shorter route to the trunk. Hopefully this won't adversely affect the cable (you must route it under the rear seat, and it might be subject to extra strain).

I imagine the original cable had some sort of short in it which screwed up its continuity. Since very few people seem to have been affected, I guess it was just a random manufacturing defect.

Hopefully the problem remains solved!
Appreciate 0