BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #23
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I would not worry about it and just go on your vacation. I think the news is pushing their own agenda which is to hope the coronavirus will tank the worlds economy and get Trump out of office somehow. Your greatest risk is somehow being quarantined.
Oh please... the WHO and health ministries of foreign governments around the world are not part of a conspiracy to displace an American president. This is reality not politics.
Appreciate 5
Oldgixxer1682.00
gatorfast4969.00
pz6193274.00
minn1913970.00
SD ///M42992.00
      02-29-2020, 02:03 AM   #24
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
The main part would be quarantine or denied entry back to the US if the situation gets worse. Friend and I have a trip booked to Vietnam transiting through Seoul next month (1 day layover in VN). When we booked it nothing was wrong. While Vietnam is absolutely fine (some friends just came back 2 weeks ago), South Korea had become a cesspool in the last week. While we’re not worried about getting sick and dying since we’re also in our 30’s and healhy, it’s the extra days or weeks from work and the hassle if somehow we end up in quarantine or something else.

It’s been frustrating trying to see if Korean Air would allow free cancellation so we can get this over with. At the moment we’re giving up a few other intra-Asia flights that we booked. If it comes down to it we’ll just bite the bullet and pay the cancellation for Korean Air as well. The $700 or so fee is probably not worth the hassle should the above happen. Colleague canceled a flight to Singapore for a wedding this week for the same reasons. My boss has a trip in May to Italy and she’s worried about it too.
Korean air has announced criteria (travel dates, booking dates, departure locations) for full cancellation refunds and departure date changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:18 AM   #25
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Last year we booked a 3wk visit to Italy for this June for my daughters graduation. The out-laws were joining us for the trip. It's all my daughter has been talking about for MONTHS. After a family discussion last weekend we decided it'd be best if we canceled and tried to get out deposit(s) back as my mother-in-law is wigging out.

Of course we didn't have any trip insurance of any kind so were out $3k and the outlaw's are out $6k as they wouldn't refund our deposits. We'll continue to try and get our money back but doubt it'll happen.

We discussed several alternative countries/venues for out vaca (mostly in the Caribbean)but honestly,my luck is crap and we'd probably end up locked-down quarantined in a foreign country or some shit and not be allowed back in the USA.

To everyone who is out money and has canceled their vacation/trip plans,I feel your pain
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614885.00
minn1913970.00
      02-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #26
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I would try to postpone the trip, too many downsides at the current time. If there is any illness on the ship (likely at all times) they'll quarantine the ship in an abundance of caution. Good luck finding a port that will accept the ship if a virus breaks out.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #27
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I would not worry about it and just go on your vacation. I think the news is pushing their own agenda which is to hope the coronavirus will tank the worlds economy and get Trump out of office somehow. Your greatest risk is somehow being quarantined.
Its actually the other way around. Trump is the one who tries to downplay it for his own agenda
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1682.00
SD ///M42992.00
      02-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #28
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Last year we booked a 3wk visit to Italy for this June for my daughters graduation. The out-laws were joining us for the trip. It's all my daughter has been talking about for MONTHS. After a family discussion last weekend we decided it'd be best if we canceled and tried to get out deposit(s) back as my mother-in-law is wigging out.

Of course we didn't have any trip insurance of any kind so were out $3k and the outlaw's are out $6k as they wouldn't refund our deposits. We'll continue to try and get our money back but doubt it'll happen.

We discussed several alternative countries/venues for out vaca (mostly in the Caribbean)but honestly,my luck is crap and we'd probably end up locked-down quarantined in a foreign country or some shit and not be allowed back in the USA.

To everyone who is out money and has canceled their vacation/trip plans,I feel your pain
That must suck
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1682.00
      02-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #29
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
From the Coronavirus/Covid-19?

We bought tickets months ago. We leave in May from FL for a 5-day cruise, I've never been on a cruise in my life and I tend to get seasick too...

It was nice knowing you, bro!

Joking.... Have fun on the cruise.

I have a trip in May I'm really looking forward to. Hoping it's not canceled. A little peeved bc if I had waited and bought now, it would've been much cheaper! Hahaha oh well
      02-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #30
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Well. I have a 12 night cruise coming up this May. Spain, France and Italy. Staying 3 nights in Barcelona before boarding the cruise and 2 nights on the Costa Brava post Cruise. This is our 1st time giving "cruising" a shot as I have been shunning them for years.

It's my wife, myself, our little boy (year and a half) and my in-laws (built in babysitters).

I called the cruise line (Celebrity) the other day to inquire about a few things and they really didn't have much info for me.

We are planning on going OP. We figure that the cruise line might "divert" us away from Italy and stop somewhere else. If all Hell breaks loose in Europe then we will cancel.

FYI. More people die from the Flu every year then are Currently infected worldwide with Corona.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

I'm not that worried. Yet......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #32
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
No way in hell would I get on a cruise ship in today's "climate".

The idea of being kept a hostage onboard as they try to find a place to dock is enough to keep me at home.
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1682.00
      02-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #33
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I work in the medical field and people are more worried about the flu than corona. The crap part about cruising to me is not getting sick but more being stuck & not able to get off the boat.

I live down in NOLA and Tulane Primate Research Center is getting the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.waf...outputType=amp
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I think at this point the authorities have realized that it is best to break up group quarantines (like ships and hotels), separating the known infected from the potentially-exposed. On cruises originating at a US port, I'm pretty sure that the feds would let the ship dock and deal with the quarantine on shore. What they do for cruises originating in Barcelona (OP's itinerary?) is another issue.

Another concern would be overseas health insurance coverage, since US policies might not apply outside of the country. Keep in mind that a helicopter evacuation from a ship at sea for a health emergency will cost you at least a shiny new 3-series if needed, so buy travel insurance that covers this just in case.

With that said, I can see the cruise lines converting these cruises into long "cruises to nowhere" if the virus becomes too widespread or there are travel bans to certain ports/regions. For those along for the ride, these types of itinerary changes usually come with 50% discount vouchers for your next cruise and free booze for all on the impacted cruise.

For those contemplating a Caribbean cruise and cheaping out on the passport, keep in mind that the cheaper passport card only works for sea/land border crossings into the USA. If you wind up having to be flown back due to an illness or premature cruise ending at a foreign port, you will need to go through the additional hassle of getting a full booklet passport at the nearest US Embassy before you can board a plane to fly home. Hence, I strongly recommend the full passport booklet, even if your cruise doesn't require it.....
      02-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #35
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
New forum, who dis??

yeah, just another mazdaspeed upgrade..., yep, just like you

Of course, I'll probably be alive in twelve months
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #36
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

For those contemplating a Caribbean cruise and cheaping out on the passport, keep in mind that the cheaper passport card only works for sea/land border crossings into the USA. If you wind up having to be flown back due to an illness or premature cruise ending at a foreign port, you will need to go through the additional hassle of getting a full booklet passport at the nearest US Embassy before you can board a plane to fly home. Hence, I strongly recommend the full passport booklet, even if your cruise doesn't require it.....
Good advice. Anyone planning on traveling should have a passport. They're good for 10 years and can save your butt in a lot of situations. After this coming October, if you don't have a Real ID driver's license, you can't even board a plane in the US unless you happen to have a passport with you. Passports are easy to get and cheap. No reason not to have one.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #37
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I'm talking about the Passport Card ($65) versus the full Passport Book ($145):

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

There are MSM news articles every month about how someone on a Caribbean cruise gets involuntarily disembarked from the ship at a foreign port, and learns that they can't fly home (or even to the ship's next port stop) with the Passport Card and not the full Passport Book.

With the chance that Coronavirus could leave someone behind in a foreign port, don't say that I didn't warn everyone to splurge for the Passport Book even if the cruise line says you don't need it for ship travel.....
      02-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #38
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'm talking about the Passport Card ($65) versus the full Passport Book ($145):

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

There are MSM news articles every month about how someone on a Caribbean cruise gets involuntarily disembarked from the ship at a foreign port, and learns that they can't fly home (or even to the ship's next port stop) with the Passport Card and not the full Passport Book.

With the chance that Coronavirus could leave someone behind in a foreign port, don't say that I didn't warn everyone to splurge for the Passport Book even if the cruise line says you don't need it for ship travel.....
This is what I'm saying. A full passport (book) is the thing to have. It costs a bit more, but is good for 10 years and covers virtually all travel scenarios.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #39
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
All fake stuff. They should talk about the other viruses that kill in the thousands of people more a month. This is business and they will make billions soon. Its the same thing as the late 2000's people were going to the hospital to get the flu shot and they were making crazy money. That's why they're panicking everybody.
God says he knows the day when you're going to die, so why worry about it? live the life for God and be ready to meet him any day.
is this satire or are you really this stupid?
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1682.00
SD ///M42992.00
      03-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #40
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
From the Coronavirus/Covid-19?

We bought tickets months ago. We leave in May from FL for a 5-day cruise, I've never been on a cruise in my life and I tend to get seasick too...

Leaving from Miami/Ft Laudy area? If so the first 3 rounds of Corona longnecks are on me. Afterwards, I’ll see you in heaven.

To live in fear is to not live at all. You’ll be fine as ‘swine’.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      03-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #41
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I think you are missing the point of the numbers you posted. Your screenshot shows flu as a mature globally distributed virus kills 0.05% of the people who get it. Coronavirus kills 3.4% of the people who get it - and it is in the early stages of spreading with higher transmission rates than the flu. If/when Coronavirus is as widespread as flu we'll see 1.1 million dead.
Appreciate 3
jackass50.00
Oldgixxer1682.00
SD ///M42992.00
      03-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #42
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
is this satire or are you really this stupid?
I guess you answered yourself who you are. Good to know.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #43
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Quote:
I think you are missing the point of the numbers you posted. Your screenshot shows flu as a mature globally distributed virus kills 0.05% of the people who get it. Coronavirus kills 3.4% of the people who get it - and it is in the early stages of spreading with higher transmission rates than the flu. If/when Coronavirus is as widespread as flu we'll see 1.1 million dead.
If not missing the point. We aren't there yet hence why I said I'm not worried YET.

I'm not an alarmist and refuse to stock up on batteries, water, etc etc.... and hunker down in my "bunker".

We will be traveling smartly until I feel it isn't safe.

I'll reiterate for you. We are NOT there yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #44
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We aren't there yet hence why I said I'm not worried YET.
I agree with you there. I haven't stocked up on anything nor have I cancelled any travel plans. (I am not making plans for travel to China, Korea or Italy anytime soon either.) That said, I think the pandemic is more widespread than the official figures (even in the U.S.) because testing is selective - you have to meet specific criteria to get tested. I am also less worried than most because I'm in my 30s and healthy so the mortality rate for my peer group is not high.
Appreciate 0