BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
RaleighIrishman
Rep
Drives: car

Exclamation Random Engine Issues!!!

So Saturday was the girlfriends birthday, and we went out and did a whole bunch of stuff.

The day before I noticed that my car had some trouble starting up only a couple times. Now since I've owned the car I noticed this issue very randomly, along with it would sometimes idle out. Every time I've brought it to the dealer they found no errors, and no issues. Given the first 8 hours of owning the car the engine had seized and they completely replaced everything.

So with that information mentioned Saturday night was amazing until heading home.
I was hitting the highway, and in the middle of getting onto the on ramp, I noticed I the engine trying really hard, and when hitting 3,000 rpm it would make this horrific sound, and not have any power. I was completely confused, I stayed in the far right lane while the road was empty and just sort of pushed down. Usually shifting from 3rd gear you can really hear the hiss of the turbo and that is when I noticed there was absolutely no "wooshing" sound, and just a hard gurgle of the engine itself. Almost 10 minutes into the 20 minute drive home the engine light came on but it was half filled in. No other lights came on during the drive.
Even in 3rd gear, and foot all the way to the floor she struggled to attempt 60mph.

I finally get home, turn off the engine. Pop the hood, no extra smells, nothing crazy, no out of normal burning. I turned on the car, then the service engine light popped up. I did a quick drive through my cul-de-sac and it had no power. So I've parked it.

I just had the airbags replaced, they told me that the only code being thrown was that I need a new air filter. But noticing that my turbo didn't release, nor was there any power I'm afraid of possible a boost leak, or something much worse.

I just want any opinions at this point. Everything is stock, and it is an N55 engine 6MT.
I am freaking out, and luckily my job said they get if I need to work from home until further notice.
I want to buy a code reader, but I want to know what everyone suggests.

Next step is to drive to a local shop within a 2 mile radius and have them code the car.

Any ideas what it could be??
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

My first guess is charge pipe maybe? Look to see if it's cracked.

Fingers crossed for you!

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
My first guess is charge pipe maybe? Look to see if it's cracked.

Fingers crossed for you!

-Sam
Sounds like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

You really need to read the codes to see what is going on, but charge pipe wouldn't surprise me. I've also had an intermittent issue that sounds kinda like yours with longer starting times and the half engine limp mode. It throws a code for fuel rail pressure so my HPFP might be going out