BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Weird smell???

So basically I get this weird smell that's smells like freshly cut grass but slightly pungent. It happens only after I've been driving my car for a couple hours. And just before it starts I get that egg smell ( catalytic converter smell ) and it becomes consistent then that weird smell starts. No smoke, no lights on dash. The smell IS in fact coming out of my exhaust too as well as thru my vents. Smells around my engine block too I think but not completely positive. Background info that might be relevant, I had an oil filter gasket leak and the oil sat on everything under my hood for about 6 months (I know stupid) and i got it replaced professionally and had my tensions and pulleys replaced. Also when I'm driving for not 2 hours it works just fine!! No smells no nothing. Maybe a small egg smell rarely if I punch the gas really hard but still not every time like 1/20 times I punch the gas (I drive a lil reckless) so I punch the gas a lot. My mechanic friend said to put some fuel injector cleaner in and see if it still does it (he said it probably will) but he also said the only real way to figure out what's wrong is to wait til it gets a lil worse and throws a light
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #2
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonhyatt View Post
So basically I get this weird smell that's smells like freshly cut grass but slightly pungent. It happens only after I've been driving my car for a couple hours. And just before it starts I get that egg smell ( catalytic converter smell ) and it becomes consistent then that weird smell starts. No smoke, no lights on dash. The smell IS in fact coming out of my exhaust too as well as thru my vents. Smells around my engine block too I think but not completely positive. Background info that might be relevant, I had an oil filter gasket leak and the oil sat on everything under my hood for about 6 months (I know stupid) and i got it replaced professionally and had my tensions and pulleys replaced. Also when I'm driving for not 2 hours it works just fine!! No smells no nothing. Maybe a small egg smell rarely if I punch the gas really hard but still not every time like 1/20 times I punch the gas (I drive a lil reckless) so I punch the gas a lot. My mechanic friend said to put some fuel injector cleaner in and see if it still does it (he said it probably will) but he also said the only real way to figure out what's wrong is to wait til it gets a lil worse and throws a light
Btw my car does NOT overheat I've put the code in to check my water temp
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M-Sport

I believe your evaporator has a leak. It's located under the dash. Coolant has a very distinct smell, sort of a pungent sweet smell.

Any good shop should be able to diagnosis it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy4852 View Post
I believe your evaporator has a leak. It's located under the dash. Coolant has a very distinct smell, sort of a pungent sweet smell.

Quote:

The only thing is that it doesn't smell right away when my car turns on only after being on for quite awhile. But that's still possible it's a leak right? But when I say the smell is STRONG. It is very strong when it comes thru. Consistently very strong. 3 dif mechanics told me to put sea foam in the engine and fuel injector cleaner in fuel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The only thing is that it doesn't smell right away when my car turns on only after being on for quite awhile. But that's still possible it's a leak right? But when I say the smell is STRONG. It is very strong when it comes thru. Consistently very strong. 3 dif mechanics told me to put sea foam in the engine and fuel injector cleaner in fuel
A bottle of Techron from time-to-time dumped in your tank is always a good idea. I recently added bottles to my tanks.

I would never put any additive in my oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A bottle of Techron from time-to-time dumped in your tank is always a good idea. I recently added bottles to my tanks.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well they said put sea foam in my oil and drive it for the weekend and then on Monday they'll change the oil
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

If you trust these 'mechanics' then why turn to the internet for advice?

Personally, I feel these mechanics are not worth a shit. Find better ones.

And the comment about it possibly being a heater core leak (not evaporator, that is for the A/C system) could be spot on. It might just be a pinhole and it'd take some time for pressure to build and it to spray and smell.
When you do get the smell next, park the car, running, and see if a puddle develops under the car. If it's the heater core it should run out the drain and make a puddle of coolant.

But could also be a pinhole in the radiator. Generally though that will be more noticeable, smoke and such.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

And the comment about it possibly being a heater core leak (not evaporator, that is for the A/C system) could be spot on. It might just be a pinhole and it'd take some time for pressure to build and it to spray and smell.
When you do get the smell next, park the car, running, and see if a puddle develops under the car. If it's the heater core it should run out the drain and make a puddle of coolant.

But could also be a pinhole in the radiator. Generally though that will be more noticeable, smoke and such.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

It's just that there's no passenger floorboard wetness, so Idk if it's the heating core. The smell will happen whether the air is on heat or a/c but comes in a little stronger when the heat is on
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

Correct, I meant to say heater core. Of course, the evaporator could have a leak too, but then the A/C would slowly die.

Also seafoam in the oil will do a good job of loosening up all the sludge and moving it around to places you don't want it. Can I say catastrophic engine failure? BTW, just why do you have any sludge to begin with? Using a synthetic oil even if it isn't changed that often, will keep the inners of your engine clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Correct, I meant to say heater core. Of course, the evaporator could have a leak too, but then the A/C would slowly die.

Also seafoam in the oil will do a good job of loosening up all the sludge and moving it around to places you don't want it. Can I say catastrophic engine failure? BTW, just why do you have any sludge to begin with? Using a synthetic oil even if it isn't changed that often, will keep the inners of your engine clean.
Quote:

I think it's because I didn't get an oil change for a long time last time, they said my oil filter gasket broke because the oil filter was bad. Should I put sea foam in it or just fuel injector cleaned
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think it's because I didn't get an oil change for a long time last time, they said my oil filter gasket broke because the oil filter was bad. Should I put sea foam in it or just fuel injector cleaned
Look why are you here bothering us? Just take the advice of those "mechanics". After all they certainly have more expertise than any of us could ever possibly hope for!
Appreciate 0