BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Gartho
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i Xi In route 10/07/22

I want my 1 series back lol..Racing info needed

I had to sell my 128 in 2012 and have missed it ever since.
I was thinking I remember a guy telling me that he drove his 135 to a track swapped tires and raced it. That sounds like fun...
Can I do that? It sounds too easy...
Garth
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You can drive a yugo to the track not switch tires and race it
Appreciate 2
swagon13482.50
Dackelone10511.00
      07-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Gartho
Private
Rep

Funny man! Now some info that will help me please!
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

What is your specific question? Maybe if you figure it out, you will get better answers...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Gartho
Private
Rep

Ok...Can I take a stock 135i to a track and drive it at say 120 MPH? If not what do I need to do to be able to do that?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Gartho
Private
Rep

Ok Thanks! Now what do I need to do so I can do that? I assume I need to join some club...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

how about you do some research onyour own using that new fangled invention calledGoogle, rather than asking to be spoon fed.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

This is like a thread from the late 90s asking about intakes on a Del Sol.
Appreciate 8
      07-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Gartho
Private
Rep

Well its nice to know that you assumed you know what I did or did not do lol.
I am always amazed there are people on a forum who say those things. I on the other hand like to help people and would freely give my .02 without saying what you said. If you dont want to help please dont answer!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Find a HPDE(high performance driving events) near you and sign up for a track day. They have beginner groups where they will show/explain to you about driving on a track and then let you do it. Usually around $250+ for a day around me.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartho View Post
Well its nice to know that you assumed you know what I did or did not do lol.
I am always amazed there are people on a forum who say those things. I on the other hand like to help people and would freely give my .02 without saying what you said. If you dont want to help please dont answer!
clearly, by your questions, you did zero research by yourself. but, here, i will throw you a bone: www.nasaproracing.com Start there and see what you can find out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #13
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You're telling me you've never driven 120 before?

I'll be honest: a 1 series is a terrible car to track for a beginner. Even a 128 will have a lot more power than you can use and will teach you bad habits. Not to mention the car really isn't set up for it, and will be quite expensive to fix if there's an incident. Track days are extremely expensive especially if you want to get the level of experience necessary to really drive the car as an extension of your body. It takes HUNDREDS of hours of practice, ideally thousands, to get there. Yes, you will learn fast, but there's a lot to learn and a lot more to perfect, and you won't be very good without all those hours even if you have the natural talent of Raikkonnen or McRae. One word of advice, get a Miata or similar. It will teach you a lot more and be more fun.

Here's a better suggestion for you: if you want to haul ass and enjoy motorsport, look into karting or motocross. Motocross is about the sickest motorsport ever made, both in absolute terms and bang for the buck. All on a machine designed exclusively for racing which you can buy and operate for only a few thousand dollars. And the tracks are usually open multiple days a week, and you can ride as much as your body can handle for PENNIES compared to a car track day. I pay $25 to ride at the local track which has a bunch of different actual courses on the property. You'll learn to jump the bike and there will be other people on the track. You want to "race" them? Go for it, but don't ride over your head. Unlike cars, you can also compete in actual races pretty often without spending a fortune.

Karting is like motocross in terms of the track access and bang for the buck, but in my opinion it's not as challenging or fun. I've done both, but I sold my shifter kart because I would rather just go to the MX track.

One big misconception about automotive track days is they're like racing. This couldn't be farther from the truth until you get into an advanced or instructor group. Reason being, most of the participants don't actually have that much experience and there's a big safety and liability aspect which probably is there in no small part because people's cars are very expensive. So, as a result, there are a lot of rules on things like where you can pass. Boring...but safe. Actual racing with cars will cost you a small fortune.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      07-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Ok...Can I take a stock 135i to a track and drive it at say 120 MPH? If not what do I need to do to be able to do that?
Do you know how a car works? You need a straight long enough to get up to 120 so yes you can if selective about the track get any csr with a top speed of 120 there.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #15
Gartho
Private
Rep

Thank you for your help! I did in fact search SCCA as that is the only thing I could think of from years ago. I may have done it wrong as I did not see anything there that said this is what I need to get started. Sorry! Its sometimes easier for the ones that dont know to ask.
Again thanks!
Garth
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #16
AB M2C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post

I'll be honest: a 1 series is a terrible car to track for a beginner. Even a 128 will have a lot more power than you can use and will teach you bad habits. Not to mention the car really isn't set up for it, and will be quite expensive to fix if there's an incident. Track days are extremely expensive especially if you want to get the level of experience necessary to really drive the car as an extension of your body. It takes HUNDREDS of hours of practice, ideally thousands, to get there. Yes, you will learn fast, but there's a lot to learn and a lot more to perfect, and you won't be very good without all those hours even if you have the natural talent of Raikkonnen or McRae. One word of advice, get a Miata or similar. It will teach you a lot more and be more fun.

Here's a better suggestion for you: if you want to haul ass and enjoy motorsport, look into karting or motocross. Motocross is about the sickest motorsport ever made, both in absolute terms and bang for the buck. All on a machine designed exclusively for racing which you can buy and operate for only a few thousand dollars. And the tracks are usually open multiple days a week, and you can ride as much as your body can handle for PENNIES compared to a car track day. I pay $25 to ride at the local track which has a bunch of different actual courses on the property. You'll learn to jump the bike and there will be other people on the track. You want to "race" them? Go for it, but don't ride over your head. Unlike cars, you can also compete in actual races pretty often without spending a fortune.

Karting is like motocross in terms of the track access and bang for the buck, but in my opinion it's not as challenging or fun. I've done both, but I sold my shifter kart because I would rather just go to the MX track.

One big misconception about automotive track days is they're like racing. This couldn't be farther from the truth until you get into an advanced or instructor group. Reason being, most of the participants don't actually have that much experience and there's a big safety and liability aspect which probably is there in no small part because people's cars are very expensive. So, as a result, there are a lot of rules on things like where you can pass. Boring...but safe. Actual racing with cars will cost you a small fortune.
If you're trying to build driver skill (not rider skill) theres a lot more to be gained in a kart than on a MX bike
Sold -- 2005 E46 M3 MT
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post

Very good post! While I definitely agree with motocross being one of the sickest/most fun sports(raced from 10y/o-20s) and definitely a lot cheaper than tracking a car, it is inherently more dangerous than being enclosed in a metal cage(car). A lot more chance of an injury happening riding a dirt bike than a car, which is why I lean more towards tracking a car now a days than motocross(I also need to buy another bike lol). I love hitting jumps/whoops/etc but it's just a different feeling hitting that corner perfect/flat out in my car and the speed also,
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
lol what have i stumbled across? haha

Gartho seems like a nice, although slightly uninformed fella. Gartho yes you can track your 1 series. I have many times and it's a great car. generally you can google search some tracks in your area and they'll let you know what you need to do. the tracks around here just require you to sign up for a specific event, and they generally have beginner, intermediate, and advanced sessions (group of racers on a pass). The car will do ok in stock form but i needed to get a better oil cooler and brakes to last much out there as the stock stuff couldn't take the heat after a few passes. The run flats are crap and you should just buy some good street tires, that'd be fine at the track. There's also autocross which is lower speed and maybe a good start
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneKid View Post
If you're trying to build driver skill (not rider skill) theres a lot more to be gained in a kart than on a MX bike
I'm going from the perspective that the dude wants to go fast and get thrills. Yes, karts transfer more to cars than a bike but I don't think the difference is actually that big. For one car control and dynamics are way different than a kart mostly due to the gigantic steering suspension and mass difference. Karts are more similar to open wheelers and frankly the OP is very unlikely to be driving or racing any of those in any real capacity unless he's rich.

MX will teach you more about varying traction conditions, throttle control, balance, smoothness, dealing with bumpy surfaces and taking jumps than any 4 wheeled motorsport out there, and that includes rally. I know some MX riders who are WAY better drivers than people with 10x the HPDE experience. So there's way more transfer than you might think.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
Gartho
Private
Rep

Yes that is correct! Speed real fast and not lose my license Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #21
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes that is correct! Speed real fast and not lose my license Thanks!
Well you don't need to go to a track for that.

Let me first qualify this post by saying you're probably not ready to do what I describe or you would have already figured this stuff out for yourself. But, for the benefit of anyone capable who may later come across this thread...

FWIW I used to go well into the triple digits on a near daily basis, all you need is a radar detector, good eyesight (get your eyes checked and make sure you have better than 20/20, most cops do), and most importantly, an idea of where you can get away with it. Let's say you have a clear view ahead, preferably on a road you know well, no traffic, and no places cops can hide: go ahead and floor it. That's about as safe as it gets, on a track or otherwise. But you have to slow down before you cross any hills or other places you can't see across, otherwise you're taking a chance that you could get nailed by instant on radar, laser, or just seen and pulled over (but probably not given a speeding ticket that will stand up in court). And don't blow past other drivers. Not only is it dangerous and puts both of you at risk, but more importantly (from the standpoint of a reckless driver) they might call the cops with your car description and there's no need for all that heat.

You too can drive like this. Years of this hooliganism and the fastest I've ever been ticketed for was 102 in a 60 and that wouldn't have happened if I had my radar detector (was being stupid and driving without it)! Whatever happens, make sure you pull over ASAP if a cop lights you up, but don't be so eager that you end up in an unsafe space. My advice for getting pulled over is keep your hands on the wheel, ask permission to get your license and insurance, and be very respectful to the cop making sure to call them sir / maam. Cops love this and it will put them more at ease reducing your chances of any really negative outcomes.
The hands on the wheel / asking permission to grab documents part is really important because cops absolutely HATE your hands, they're the most threatening part of your body in their opinion.

These days I go to the track often and I'm older so I rarely do crazy speeds on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #22
Gartho
Private
Rep

lol...Well I am 52...a former cop...and now a firefighter...it would make the headlines here in Tennessee! lol..I am from California and the one thing I never had to worry about was deer when I would fly around the Bay Area as a kid.
It seems like 30% of the guys I work with have hit a deer! Crazy I say...
So its much safer to go to a track...and legal!
Garth
Appreciate 0