BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

Anyone know what the standards for CPO brakes are?

Hello all. I have a question concerning how the warranty works re the brakes on CPO cars. Basically when I got my car with 42K on the clock, the brake rotors were really scored up. They have deep grooves in them, and I'm starting to get the beginnings of a wobble under light braking. I spoke to my local dealership about it when I had the car in for another issue(USB port not working) and they basically blew it off. I'm about to take the car in again due to the fact that my right headlight filled up with water when I took the car through the car wash, and I wanted to see if I could get some ammunition to force them to swap out the rotors under warranty.

Quite honestly, I'm shocked that the dealership I purchased from let the car out the door with these rotors on it. They are pretty much whooped, and while they do just barely pass the thickness measurement requirement, they are too thin to have resurfaced. They are .980 inches, with the standard for replacement being .965 according to the book at my inspection location.

I do find myself wondering if there is a standard for CPO cars that differs from minimum inspection standards though, as it would behoove them to make sure the CPO cars are inspected to a higher standard.

So does anyone have any experience with this that could shed some light on the situation? Basically I want to force the dealership's hand and have these rotors replaced under warranty before it expires, and I'm looking for a little advice on how to get a fire lit under them.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

No consumables are covered under CPO warranty, so unless it was directly caused by something that IS covered (say caliper defect) you are probably SOL. Depending on how long ago you bought the car you may be able to convince them to replace it for you but they have no obligation.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

My CPO car came to me with all-new factory pads on all four (Pagid... perhaps they were so badly worn the dealer had no option but to replace). First thing to go, they dust like crazy... but they were brand-spanking new. No idea if there is a standard from BMWNA, but I might agree with the previous post (you may have no leg to stand on). Ask nicely.

Last edited by mr.fabulous; 04-27-2015 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Brake pads and rotors are covered under the 50,000 mile service extension that you have the option to buy when you purchase a new or CPO car, which covers all maintenance up to 100kmi, but the service extension and CPO warranty are two different things.

With the age and mileage of your car, I think you should be covered by the original factory warranty and maintenance plan, so CPO coverage hasn't gone into effect anyways, so check the first in service date. Either way, they should technically be covered by the maintenance plan rather than the warranty.

Last edited by TheCaptain; 04-27-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

This exact thing happened to me a few mos back. All four corners were so badly rusted and the dealer I first brought the car into (not the one I bought it from) said that RUST DAMAGE IS NOT USUALLY COVERED BY THE CPO WARRANTY. They just told me to "drive and brake hardly a few times and the rust will shed off." It did not. It looked like the first owner left it parked exposed to the elements for a while reason why this happened. It shook a lot during hard braking and I thought that was fine, silly me. I already noticed the rotors looking funny during the first few mos I got it but then again, I did not know any better.

So I took it to a new dealer and thankfully they fixed it under the statement "fixed issue to maintain customer loyalty," which I assume means that they DON'T usually fix rusted rotors unless it is caused by defects from the factory as it is a CONSUMABLE part.

Just be honest and say what your issue is and maybe they can give you a break. My calipers are totally rusted as well (which I hate) and the BMW OEM rotors they gave me are starting to do the same thing again (OEM parts suck I think, but hey I'm from NE after all) but I don't think they will fix that caliper rust as it's not a defect.

I may have posted info regarding this before I just don't know how to find it.

PS: any suggestions as to what rotors I should get next to avoid this issue guys (don't mean to thread jack...)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
My calipers are totally rusted as well (which I hate) and the BMW OEM rotors they gave me are starting to do the same thing again (OEM parts suck I think, but hey I'm from NE after all) but I don't think they will fix that caliper rust as it's not a defect.

I may have posted info regarding this before I just don't know how to find it.

PS: any suggestions as to what rotors I should get next to avoid this issue guys (don't mean to thread jack...)
Relative to the rusted rotors. That's quite normal. I've not seen iron rotors that don't rust...they are made of iron, iron rusts easily.

Check the new cars on any lot and you'll see they have rust spots too. It's usually not an issue. Is it more than visual rust that you're concerned about.

Only way to get rid of that is to get rotors not made of iron...they exist, you can get carbon or ceramic but they are very pricey, not 100% certain they exist for the 1 series, probably. Plus, everyone I know that has ceramic rotors they squeak like crazy when they are cold. Most people get them for performance so they don't care about the squeaking. Finally, no less brake dust from ceramic rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferris View Post
Relative to the rusted rotors. That's quite normal. I've not seen iron rotors that don't rust...they are made of iron, iron rusts easily.

Check the new cars on any lot and you'll see they have rust spots too. It's usually not an issue. Is it more than visual rust that you're concerned about.

Only way to get rid of that is to get rotors not made of iron...they exist, you can get carbon or ceramic but they are very pricey, not 100% certain they exist for the 1 series, probably. Plus, everyone I know that has ceramic rotors they squeak like crazy when they are cold. Most people get them for performance so they don't care about the squeaking. Finally, no less brake dust from ceramic rotors.

^ Totally agree.

The OEM BMW rotors they put in does not have a "coated" hat, though it did look "treated" to me. The ones that rusted and needed replacing had the black coated hats though (I'm not quite sure if those were OEM though to be honest).
Appreciate 0