BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guide to electronic nannies and how to code them off

For a long time, a few guys on here and myself have been working on figuring out how to code off the electronic nannies that these cars have. Even with DTC an DSC off, there are still tons of safety systems in place - many of which I was not aware of until I started doing research.

Now that I have coded all of them off in my car, I thought it would be useful to compile the information into one place. This would have really helped me when I was trying to figure it all out. Things I have actually disabled and tested myself on the race track:

Electronic Differential
Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating
Brake Fading Compensation
Hydraulic Brake Assist
Maximum Brake Support
Brake Standby
Dynamic Performance Control

Some of these are interfering everyday during normal driving, such as hydraulic brake assist. I didn't even notice it until I turned it off and had an "Eureka" moment.

All of these things suck for track use and spirited driving. Some of these will not be new to you, but at least it is all written down for easy reference in one place with results of me actually testing the coding on track.

You can read the full description of the nannies and the proper setting to turn them off here:

http://www.onelapx1.com/the-story/ho...w-actually-fun

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 17
1and11851.50
atr_hugo325.00
bobowar1353479.00
wu2x35.00
lab_rat394.50
      01-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Wow, perfect.

Are you using INPA for the coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Wow, perfect.

Are you using INPA for the coding?
You can access the DSC module and code these things off with NCS Expert.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You can access the DSC module and code these things off with NCS Expert.
Yes, exactly. I highly recommend using NCS Dummy to get a read out of your TRC file first before going in and blindly coding, as the actual settings that correspond with "off" for some N54 and N55 cars are different. Or, Kgolf - you can just wait until spring and I can code them off for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yes, exactly. I highly recommend using NCS Dummy to get a read out of your TRC file first before going in and blindly coding, as the actual settings that correspond with "off" for some N54 and N55 cars are different. Or, Kgolf - you can just wait until spring and I can code them off for you!
I haven't messed with any of the DSC settings because I have a feeling it's a good bit more complex than just one or two parameters, and I don't really want to change one thing without a better understanding of the whole. Looking forward to reading your write-up, but for some reason your link is blocked on my work computer, so it will have to wait until I get home this evening.

I have NCS Dummy, but I've always managed to do my coding without it just using NCS Expert. I guess I should probably figure out how to use it for this one, though! Funny that I'm having more trouble with the one program that is supposed to make the other one easier to use...lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
I'll take you up on this, just for future reference that's all.

I owe you a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Who can do this in SoCal? I can provide pizza and beer.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For a long time, a few guys on here and myself have been working on figuring out how to code off the electronic nannies that these cars have. Even with DTC an DSC off, there are still tons of safety systems in place - many of which I was not aware of until I started doing research.

Now that I have coded all of them off in my car, I thought it would be useful to compile the information into one place. This would have really helped me when I was trying to figure it all out. Things I have actually disabled and tested myself on the race track:

Electronic Differential
Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating
Brake Fading Compensation
Hydraulic Brake Assist
Maximum Brake Support
Brake Standby
Dynamic Performance Control

Some of these are interfering everyday during normal driving, such as hydraulic brake assist. I didn't even notice it until I turned it off and had an "Eureka" moment.

All of these things suck for track use and spirited driving. Some of these will not be new to you, but at least it is all written down for easy reference in one place with results of me actually testing the coding on track.

You can read the full description of the nannies and the proper setting to turn them off here:

http://www.onelapx1.com/the-story/ho...w-actually-fun

Hope it helps!
So I was finally able to read you blog entry and I just have one question: since the parameters are all listed in the module in German (and often, utilizing German abbreviations or acronyms), one cannot expect to find these things spelled out clearly using NCS Expert. Is the name in parenthesis (for example "FLR") the shorthand name for these nannies then? And does "Maximum Brake Support" really not have an abbreviation or German name?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Great research and write up! Do you know if any/all of these parameters are the same on the 128i? I guess I should do some research into coding at some point. I don't really have any mods done (yet) that would require any of this but it's great knowing about it in case I need it in the future.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I was finally able to read you blog entry and I just have one question: since the parameters are all listed in the module in German (and often, utilizing German abbreviations or acronyms), one cannot expect to find these things spelled out clearly using NCS Expert. Is the name in parenthesis (for example "FLR") the shorthand name for these nannies then? And does "Maximum Brake Support" really not have an abbreviation or German name?

Thanks!
This is where using NCS dummy REALLY helps - it will show the German name and then an English translation. Yes, the parenthesis are the shorthand for what NCS Expert actually sees in the TRC file. Sometimes, that shorthand is preceded by the model designation for your car. So for my E84 X1, to disable Brake Fading Compensation the parameter would be listed as e84_HPS. For a E91 it would be e91_hps or just simply HPS. It depends on how new the DSC module is.

For Maximum Brake Support I need to double check, I did not have an abbreviation in my notes but I also don't see that parameter in my saved TRC file. I also don't see a "MBS" though so I will check tonight and update the blog if it is wrong.

EDIT: I just checked and Maximum Brake Support is listed as "HVV" in the DSC file. So the parameter for my X1 is e84_HVV.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 01-19-2016 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Great research and write up! Do you know if any/all of these parameters are the same on the 128i? I guess I should do some research into coding at some point. I don't really have any mods done (yet) that would require any of this but it's great knowing about it in case I need it in the future.
If they share the same DSC module (I believe they do) the parameters should be the same.

What would REALLY help me push this further is if someone could pull their TRC file from the DSC module and send it to me. You can do this using NCS Expert. If you can do that, I will post the 128i specific parameters.

Actually, if someone could do that with the 135i too it would really help me. I coded a 135i with this but I never saved their TRC file to my laptop so I have no way of referencing this now.

What I would really like to do is turn that blog post into a permanent and comprehensive list with the exact parameters from each BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If they share the same DSC module (I believe they do) the parameters should be the same.

What would REALLY help me push this further is if someone could pull their TRC file from the DSC module and send it to me. You can do this using NCS Expert. If you can do that, I will post the 128i specific parameters.
I've looked into my 128i's DSC module and seen the Diff-Lock & FLR parameters. I'm sure all the others are in there as well. My car is in the shop at the moment (getting a mechanical LSD installed, coincidentally enough) but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I was going to be poking around the DSC module anyhow, so I'll pull a trace file for you within a few days. PM me an email address or Dropbox link or whatever works best for you and I can share.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #13
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Thanks, for doing the hard work!
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #15
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Actually, if someone could do that with the 135i too it would really help me. I coded a 135i with this but I never saved their TRC file to my laptop so I have no way of referencing this now.

What I would really like to do is turn that blog post into a permanent and comprehensive list with the exact parameters from each BMW.
I can get the TRC file from my 135i but only as soon as my computer is setup properly. All items required for access is at hand - just need to learn this stuff!

BTW, many thanks for putting this stuff together
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
YarkoDrives
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is 98FS, 128i, 335xi,

Thanks for posting this!

My brute force attempt at defeating all these nannie was pulling ABS main fuse; allowed for rotation during trail braking, but flat spotted the front tires as there was no biasing/abs.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Got my dsc trc file today. Let me know if you still need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sent you the TRC file from my 128i's DSC module.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #19
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sent you the TRC file from my 128i's DSC module.
Thanks guys, I will review all of the TRC files today and hopefully update the blog post with new info. I appreciate the help.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Very interesting and thanks for sharing the info. Doing the God's work.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys, I will review all of the TRC files today and hopefully update the blog post with new info. I appreciate the help.
Any updates on this?
      02-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #22
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I guess if I were you guys, I'd be asking for the traces from a 1M for comparison.

I'm just learning to code, very slowly due to software incompatibility. But the other night I was able to get into my DSC module. Using NCS Dummy it looked like there where various degrees of control, as well as off.
What I'd be most curious about is how the 1M differs from the standard 1's?
We know the M doesn't have the nannies turned off. So it should also be with out saying that 'tuning' the nannies might give the best/fastest results.
Appreciate 0