12-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I gotta get my car cleaned now.
It's been unseasonably warm around here lately.....got up to 63 degree's on Saturday so I was out in a T-shirt washing it, and wiping down the inside windows.

Normally this time of year I'm outside washing with a couple layers of clothing, plus long-johns underneath, and playtex gloves to protect my hands from the sting of the cold water.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Looks super clean and very similar to my car in fact Just did not install the matt version of this same CRT style IND-BMW spoiler yet. I also have the anthrazit overlays for the side creases waiting to be installed since very long time (got them from Lightweight Titanausppuflagen guys), they sit in the trunk and every week-end I just repeat forgeting this little duty, now thanks to your photos I know that I need to go and do it.

And the rear lights cluster? Are they black lines or the shop tinted them too? I want to tint just the white section at the bottom for rear gear lights.
Thanks for the props, oz-zy.

The rear lights are of the black line variety which I ordered from Schmiedmann in Germany. They were about $350, so if you can have them tinted for a fraction of that cost I would say go that route.

I think I'm about modded out for now. The only remaining task is to treat the exhaust tips in black chrome, ala the 135 tips. I bought 4 new tips ($200) from Tischer BMW parts and just yesterday shipped them out to a company that specializes in this procedure up in Akron, OH. The bill for that will be $300. Takes about two weeks for the entire treatment and curing process, so hoping I have them back and installed before Christmas.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #25
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
And the rear lights cluster? Are they black lines or the shop tinted them too? I want to tint just the white section at the bottom for rear gear lights.
Pictures of 1Ms with Blackline tail lights:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712893 (VO)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739042 (VO) (this thread)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708869 (AW)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691895 (AW)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706982 (AW)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736842 (BSM) ("1M Vader")
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697923 (BSM)

Dackel's post on where to get these:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=40

Fascination for Blackline tail lights ? Maybe because it appeals in our subconsciousness to "Smokey Eyes" or "Cat Eye" phenomena.

Name:  Smokey_Eyes.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  25.7 KBName:  Cat_Eye.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  21.9 KB
      12-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yeah, on the contrary I am trying not to buy them since I think for a VO car the stocks are mostly fine, maybe even better than blacklines; however I don't like the bottom part, should be darker than that cheesy white section (which looks OK with AW cars though, not too much with BSM and totally off with VO).
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
however I don't like the bottom part, should be darker than that cheesy white section (which looks OK with AW cars though, not too much with BSM and totally off with VO).
Feel free to pioneer with vinyl wrap in amber color, Oz. And if you don't like it, you can remove it again.

Stock:
Name:  1M_Taillight.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  313.1 KB

Render:
Name:  1M_Taillight1.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  92.1 KB

For an example of an E46 M3 with an amber foil wrap of the tail lights ($6.99 DIY job):
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=417621

Maybe Alekshop can suggest an appropriate foil/wrap: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516681
Also: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Amber-Taill...ilm-aa2105.htm

Name:  Amber_Vinyl_Film.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  28.1 KB
      12-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Feel free to pioneer with vinyl wrap in amber color, Oz. And if you don't like it, you can remove it again.

Stock:
Attachment 791277

Render:
Attachment 791278

For an example of an E46 M3 with an amber foil wrap of the tail lights ($6.99 DIY job):
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=417621

Maybe Alekshop can suggest an appropriate foil/wrap: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516681
Also: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Amber-Taill...ilm-aa2105.htm

Attachment 791280
Liking it Thanks for the impulse!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I think I'm about modded out for now. The only remaining task is to treat the exhaust tips in black chrome, ala the 135 tips. I bought 4 new tips ($200) from Tischer BMW parts and just yesterday shipped them out to a company that specializes in this procedure up in Akron, OH. The bill for that will be $300. Takes about two weeks for the entire treatment and curing process, so hoping I have them back and installed before Christmas.
Well, two weeks turned into almost 3 months. Guess they had some issues to work through, but in looking at the final product I think it turned out extremely tolerable.

Hope to mount them within the next month or so when I bring it out of semi-hibernation.

Anyone removed the stock tips before? Seems like just a simple process of gently applying a rubber mallet and tapping them off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Smoked tips are finally mounted. Better match methinks with the blacklines than the chrome-magnon man stockers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Such a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Such a beautiful car.
Danke. VO just pops under the brilliant summer sun. I also finally tried 1 Einszett on the rubber. Extremely impressed with the results so far.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #33
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Reckoned I would give a quick update on #495.

Just surpassed 25k miles recently. Only new mods are Pilot SS's in the rear (front still on PS2's), and keyless door handle.

Recent long distance road trips have been to Martinsville, VA (NASCAR Fall race), and Monticello, NY (M Track Day).

I've managed to tarnish it during those events (road rash on front two wheels, and half a dozen stone chips on front hood), but the joy of being behind the wheel and experiencing the crap eating grins have far exceeded those negatives. The left drivers side HK speaker has a gremlin in it, as it cuts in and out sporadically. It's been replaced already once under the original warranty, but I've been remiss in attending to it because frankly I'm having too much fun to let it be a bummer. Once spring gets here I will take it to a dedicated audio-electronics store and get it sorted out properly. There's also an alloy wheel mending business that makes house calls, so that's also on the spring to-do docket. And finally, Dr. Color Chip will get a chance to show it's chops later this year as well.

I'm determined to continue to enjoy it on the open roads as well as begin taking in track events, and let the miles continue to roll upwards since I have no plans to ever let this little baby slip away from my fortunate hands.

/M mental notes on racked up during this period:

The suspension continues to amaze me in that it's both taught, and yet supple at the same time. A dichotomy and contradiction that is hard to explain. Yes, you feel the bumps and road imperfections, but in no sense does it crash or loose any fillings as it traverses over those areas. For my increasingly aging bones it strikes a perfect balance in its road mannerisms. I have no doubt if I ever needed to use it in such a capacity it would make for a great daily driver (albeit with snows for the winter).

The HPS steering rack is mind boggling. I've owned an E30, E36, E46 (3) and E91 and for all around purposes the E82 rack in my mind is the best of the bunch. It's light enough (without being overboosted) at low (read parking lot speeds), but weights up nicely.........naturally and linearly once the speed increases. It always gives back what it gets in proportion to steering input. In my humble opinion it's the litmus test that all EPS racks should strive to equal.

The clutch and 6 speed manny tranny on this variant is the best combo of any BMW I've driven or owned. Absolutely, no notchiness at all. The gateways are clear and unobstructed. Every shift gives that "snik" sound as it finds its groovy place in the tranny. The few times I've missed a shift is because I allowed myself to be distracted. But that is just the general overall characteristic in this car as it requires your attention at all times, just like a misbehaving child does when placed on ignore mode.

I thought I would miss having a moon-roof, but that hasn't come to fruition. Same thoughts with not having power seats. Now, if I ever have to option another car for myself I'll go the sans route in both cases.

I finally pared my iPhone to the Bluetooth option this summer. But I'm glad that I can turn-off it off when I want to, since I really hate the distractions and loss of focus it can cause when doing the hustle.

I generally like the HK option (even without complete use of the above mentioned speaker). I had the non-HK stereo in my '09 135i, and the unit in the M beats the poop out of the non-HK one in the 135i.

I have the Sirius/XM subscription turned on, but frankly, I doubt I'm getting my money's worth out of it since I only use it for brief spurts. I suppose I'll cancel it once I opt for full retirement to save some bank.

I use ipod the most of all of the audio options. My original Classic keeps chugging after 8 years of use, so I've definitely got my money's worth out of these options.

/M mental notes off

During the M Track Day I got a chance to sample the M2. While the models they provided for the event didn't come in the manual transmission that I would have preferred, it was enough of a taste to show in many of the tangible metrics that it is superior to the 1 M. No real surprise to me, nor should it be to anyone else since the numbers don't lie.

Yet while I preferred the M2 over the M3 & M4, at the end of the day I was content to realize that the 1 M is likely the last of the old school BMW's, where the intangibles of feel, driver involvement, connection and a wild sense of visceral rawness remain more important (at least in my mental book/diary), which only add to the lore and iconic nature that this little beast exhibits.

I think I'd like to have an M2 as a dedicated track car, but since I don't have the disposable, nor discretionary income to be able to justify or support that type of liberal lifestyle, I've resigned myself to having to "settle" for a better all-around vehicle that checks all of the boxes I consider important, and hence less compromised than the current slew of ///M products being trotted out and paraded before us these days.

But, if I did have Rockefeller type money I think I would get another 1 M before I would go after an M2. Ideally I'd get a black example, and set it up as a track day car.

Most would not understand that train of logic, and admittedly it would be a hard sell (especially to the little frau ); but this inanimate object has gotten under my skin. I am enamored of almost everything about it. I dig the 360 degree looks; the nav-less unadulterated interior look also suits my eyes; I even like the mild drone at 2500 - 3000 rpm your aural senses receive. The only thing I don't like is that BMW only made so few examples of them.

Because while my beneficiaries might receive the future benefits a limited collection entails, little good it will do me before the Lord removes my tentacles from the steering wheel, or my eyes from beholding it's beautiful design.

Sorry for the long harangue/diatribe. But having not posted in 4 + years hopefully you'll be gracious and just chalk it up to waking up from bone idleness during that period of inactivity.

Shalom!

Appreciate 3
JP-1M171.00
///BYU268.50
      01-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #34
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

very nice!
2020 M2 CS, 2018 M3 CS, 2016 M4 GTS, 2013 M3 LRP, 2011 1M, 2011 M3 GTRS3, 2004 M3, 2002 M3, 2000 M Coupe, 2002 M5, 1997 M3, 1988 M3, 2022 STO, 2020 Urus, 2022 TRX, 2022 392, 2021 SVJ, 2018 Performante, 2013 Gallardo 550-2, 2012 Gallardo STS, 2018 R8 RWS, 2012 R8, 2017 G550 4X4^2, 2015 GT3, 2015 Continental GT3R, 1971 Bronco
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

nice summary!

agree with nearly every statement.

I very much enjoy the 1M steering, it's best of the BMWs I have owned which includes E30 M3 , E30 M3 with E36 rack, E46 non M, E46 M3, and E82 X1 (EPS)

I also am more a fan of the 1M than the M2.. and happy that others that didn't get a chance to get a 1M still have a chance to own a vehicle that is similarly magical.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #36
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M white

Great review and totally agree on all. I always owned e39 M5 for the past 10 years(3 of them) and I was somewhat sceptical of buying mine sight unseen and without ever test driving one. I went for it mainly due to glory reviews everywhere and I am very glad I did. It turned out to be quite the drivers car and the size is a non issue for me always having a 4 door before. When you are trying to find reasons to go somewhere so you can drive the 1M, you know you have the right car. Couldn’t imagine a better daily driver for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #37
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Fresh out of the detail bay.

Started at 8 and finished at 6.

Griot's wash soap (Wednesday evening)
Griot's claybar
P21S Paint Cleanser
Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109
Orange Crush Carnauba Wax
Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Sonax Tire Gel
Turtle Wax Clearvue Glass Cleaner

Should have finished up with Lexol leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace Protectant for the interior, but I was too pooped to peep by 6 pm. Four or five years ago I would have gone for it, but my bones and carcass were creaking and groaning for a break. Will get to it this weekend after fully recuperated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ayao634.50
///BYU268.50
      04-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #38
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

It’s just gorgeous.!! Why does yours look so good.? Doesn’t make sense as it’s not AW.....🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #39
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Fresh out of the detail bay.

Started at 8 and finished at 6.

Griot's wash soap (Wednesday evening)
Griot's claybar
P21S Paint Cleanser
Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109
Orange Crush Carnauba Wax
Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Sonax Tire Gel
Turtle Wax Clearvue Glass Cleaner

Should have finished up with Lexol leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace Protectant for the interior, but I was too pooped to peep by 6 pm. Four or five years ago I would have gone for it, but my bones and carcass were creaking and groaning for a break. Will get to it this weekend after fully recuperated.
Looks great! I'm still debating if I should get the rear lip spoiler...it does look great in these shots.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #40
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I would love to be your neighbor
      05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #41
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

beautiful car!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0